Chapala.com Webboard

Customs and pets

Denise

We are moving to the area and we will be coming with our dog and cat. We are flying in, I know it is easier to drive but that is not an option and I know the requirements of the airline, what I am looking for are any tips to help get through customs without any problems.

It has been a couple years since we have flown back with our chihuahua. At that time we had to have the International Health form completed, typewritten completely save for the vet's signature. It had to state that the dog was free of internal and external parasites. This form had to have been dated within several days of entry into Mexico. Hopefully someone will post additional info if things have changed.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, tomgates said:

Here is the latest info:  http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Mexico.cfm

FYI, have one of you go over to the pet area, to the far right of the customs hall, while the other waits for the luggage. Will save some time.

This site has incorrect information, according to the USDA and Mexican customs. This is the problem , depending on the day this information changes. The dog does not need but ONE shot and that is rabies and from day to another you either need a health certificate endorsed by the USDA or not.

GDL I see about the most difficult airport in Mexico to bring pets into. We use to travel with our small in cabin dog but after the last time when it took an hour, many questions, they wanted his shot record (which is not required) we decided not to fly with him anymore, too stressful. We were only gone 4 days and his Mexican health certificate was still valid (we live in Lakeside). They also insisted on taking him in another room for a checkup...temperature (I refused to let the man put a ther,meter up his little butt), stethoscope, flea comb and flashlights. 

I understnad you are moving here with your pet store and must fly. My best advice is have absolutely everything and anything you may possibly need in documentation. I have had 3 different friends not have their pets released until a local vet came to clear them. 

It will depend on who you get that day and what kind of mood they are in, as to how simple or impossible it will be to bring in your animals. That also happens to be how things often go when dealing with many government officials in Mexico. Welcome to Mexico. Patience, patience, and more patience. Good luck.

GDL is indeed difficult but it is doable, we fly frequently with Alaska Air.   Last week we entered Mexico with the same valid health certificate we left Mexico with ( within 1 month of issue the same certificate is good for entry ).   The GDL staff deemed the vet health certificate fine except it was lacking the adress where we stayed in the USA.   They would not let us provide the address from our CA driver's license onto the form.    We had to wait for a vet to drive from Chapala to the airport to then check our pet for entry.   She asked where we stayed and filled in our address.   800 peso charge for the vet.   She got there quickly ( 40 min ) and was quite kind but the process was a frustrating embodiment of nonsensical bureaucracy.   So make sure the vet form is complete and ensure you have the address where the pet was and where the pet is going.   Remain cordial, avoid frustration and you will be fine.  Also ensure your kennel has metal bolts securing it together if it separates into two halves.   Plastic attachments are no longer accepted by the airlines.    Alaska lets you know that your pet is on board prior to take off which is always a relief to know.

USDA/APHIS and the Mexican Government have worked together to offer two options,  A or B, on how to bring a US pet into Mexico, as described in this .pdf link:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_pets_dog_cat_upd_12.pdf

Note (using Option B ) that there are special requirements for US pets from the US border states of California, Texas, NM, and AZ.  This explains why we routinely hear different instructions from US veterinarians from NY, PA, VA et al    versus   the requirements described by Texas & CA veterinarians.

Then further note that on Jan. 1, 2017, Mexican Aduana agents at airports have changed their application of anti-parasite measures for US pets entering Mexico.  See details at    Updated Antiparasitic Treatment Rules for Pets Entering Mexico

This means that the ways that some people used in the past, may not work now.

Typed or handwritten?

When I picked up our pets health certificates, our vet had handwritten the APHIS form 7001 (US Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals). I'm seeing on the web that the forms must be typed/word processed. Is this true? Do I need typed forms or will the handwritten ones be enough?

The Aphis 7001 form always has said typed; there is a page of requirements and support for how to complete it. Note that you cannot use ANY abbreviations (not for the month, not for "pounds" or "kilograms". Their requirements are very strict AND you must provide both the sender name and address as well as the recipient (which might be both you, but with different addresses.) And the form needs the vet's signature and license number. Your vet can fill in the information online on the form, then print for you. Note that it no longer saves, nor can you save the file...the gov't restricted access in January.

Archived