Chapala.com Webboard

Moving dog and cat to Ajijic

We are moving to the area and we will be coming with our dog and cat. We are flying in, I know it is easier to drive but that is not an option and I know the requirements of the airline, what I am looking for are any tips to help get through customs without any problems.

There's a similar posting on the Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara thread. SENASICA at the Guadalajara airport is extremely cautious. People have had issues, some nightmare stories. Please follow all rules: be sure your pet boards with nothing in the crate but the pet, a day's worth of dry food, collar and leash: this means no bedding, no blanket, no toys, no treats. Those items will be destroyed and trigger an in-depth revision of your pet. Note that most times the carrier/crate will be sprayed with disinfectant...often with your pet in the carrier. Be sure your documents (pet medical history, APHIS or Health Certification signed by an accredited vet) are up-to-date and complete and contain ALL of the items on the bulleted list shown below. Proof of rabies and and confirmation that the pet is free of internal/external parasites are on that list.

Here's the link to the SENASICA site and the minimum requirements for the documentation.

http://www.gob.mx/senasica/acciones-y-programas/si-viajas-con-tu-perro-o-gato-56614

• 4 months later...

Yes! I need a health certificate in a few days and also having a hard time. Vet doesn't know. Wanted to call the embassy and I knew that was useless.

Does anyone know if "

Has been accepted. That is which form should I choose from the USDA APHIS page for the vet to complete?
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-mexico

Also, the requirements say that the medication for external and internal parasites must be given within 6 months, but I have read on other forums that it should be given in front of the vet at the visit for the health certificate. Anyone had experience one way or the other?

Archived