Chapala.com Webboard

Peat mosss best place to buy?

I bought myself a blueberry bush, I ordered it from a nursery in Veracruz along with many other exotic fruit trees that I haven't seen around here.  We are going to try to grow it in a container but I need potting soil with 50 percent peat moss mixed in it.  Can you buy already mixed, acidic soil for acid loving plants or if not I'll just buy the peat moss.  Before I go out hunting, where would my best bet be to find the peat moss.  The other exotics I ordered are the ylang ylang or chanel 5 tree, jamaican cherry that is supposed to taste like cotton candy or sugar cubes, ice cream bean tree, black surinam cherry, and the japanese loquat tree.  

Do you have a link for this nursery? How are they going to ship them - no couriers will handle live plants? Still waiting for some exotic seeds, including 10 x Champaca (perfume tree). Shipped from Warsaw and arrived CDMX on March 6.

Laura, at the Garden Center beside 711 in Riberas might have peat moss. She definitely has Mexican branded potting soil with peat. The other brand "Black Gold" potting mix is from Canada, and uses spagnum moss rather than peat.

I am finding with the well peated and fertilized soils, some plants just do no like this because they do not like wet roots. A fast draining soil one third jal (crushed pumice gravel), one third leafy mulch, and one third good topsoil should be about right. A good example of this is the tropical rhubarb I am growing, likes to grow deep roots before any serious growth. Also grew some fenugreek, one of my favorite herbs, but it has no taste - apparently it only develops its unique taste in "tough" soil, like you would grow soybeans in. The only other problem with the peated soils is that they definitely attract a type of white fly which loves to live in the wet peaty soil. I am trying a new solution - landscape fabric around the plants, still lets water in, stops weeds, and what ever type of whitefly cannot lay their eggs in the soil. Laura has this in stock too.

With those sweet smelling trees, make sure you know how to conquer cutter ants,

Actually, Chillin, several courier companies can ship live plants within Mexico.  My plants were shipped Tuesday and arrived today with dhl from Veracruz.  I think estafeta also ships plants.  I ordered my plants off mercado libre, and if you look below it says see other products this vender sails, many nurseries on mercado libre have quite a large variety of exotic fruit trees and flowering trees.  Shipping was cheap, 200 pesos for as many trees as you want.  I ordered eleven and they gave me free shipping.  I will go check with Laura to see what she has for soils.  I'll mix some pumice or jal stone into the mix to prevent root rot.  I saved a lot to mix into my pots.

Well that is really interesting, Luc in Puerto Vallarta who had/has a huge collection of exotics kept telling me he couldn't ship them, that I would have to drive there each time. I wouldn't mind the 4x4 road to get to his place, but I was really hoping to help him out with sales in this area.

I have learned the hard way, the only way to get good soil here is to make your own. Black Gold indeed.

Chillin here is a guy that sells mostly seeds, for the champaca, all I could find were seeds unfortunately, but go to the bottom of the page where it says ver mas to see his catalogue, he has over 10 pages of some really interesting looking plants.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-558379242-10-semillas-de-michelia-champaca-ampac-50-codigo-808-_JM

I ordered my live plants from this guy, go to the bottom and click ver mas at the bottom to see his live exotic catalogue.  

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-552120300-1-arbol-de-ylang-ylang-cananga-odorata-arbol-para-perfumes-_JM

On 3/30/2017 at 3:31 PM, CHILLIN said:

Well that is really interesting, Luc in Puerto Vallarta who had/has a huge collection of exotics kept telling me he couldn't ship them, that I would have to drive there each time. I wouldn't mind the 4x4 road to get to his place, but I was really hoping to help him out with sales in this area.

I have learned the hard way, the only way to get good soil here is to make your own. Black Gold indeed.

Luc will ship but it is very expensive.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:42 PM, dichosalocura said:

Chillin here is a guy that sells mostly seeds, for the champaca, all I could find were seeds unfortunately, but go to the bottom of the page where it says ver mas to see his catalogue, he has over 10 pages of some really interesting looking plants.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-558379242-10-semillas-de-michelia-champaca-ampac-50-codigo-808-_JM

I ordered my live plants from this guy, go to the bottom and click ver mas at the bottom to see his live exotic catalogue.  

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-552120300-1-arbol-de-ylang-ylang-cananga-odorata-arbol-para-perfumes-_JM

You can buy a bail of peat moss from Laura at the Garden Center next to Electroventa in Riberas. It is about $100 pesos cheaper to buy the same peat moss at Home Depot.  Laura has excellent slightly acidic planting soil mixes like Senor Frog and others.

Yeah, Laura was out of all Black Gold potting soil products.  We bought the large yellow bail of Flora Gard peatmoss.  I bought some of the large plastic pots and mixed the regular potting soil you get from the nursery behind Super Lake with a mixture of pumice with some composted cow manure, and to that mixture I mixed about 50 percent peatmoss into it.  Stirred it real good and added my blueberry bush.  It was a good sized one, nice and tall, it looks like maybe 3 plants that had bonded together with roots, I left them together.  It even arrived with a few green berries on it.  I have no idea what variety it is, but that it came from Veracruz.  The plant I was most excited about was my Jamaican cherry because it is supposed to grow super fast, fruit all year long and the fruit is supposed to taste extremely sweet like cotton candy, but alas, it arrived with very wilted leaves and it don't look good.  I have it in the shade and it is still in its original pot, once or if it shows signs of life, I'll repot it.  Does anybody have any experience with this wonderful sounding tree, it is called the Jamaican cherry or Stawberry Tree?  Has anybody seen it here locally, if mine doesn't survive?  Thanks.

Archived