Chapala.com Webboard

replacing roof on house

need advice what materials to use. replacing roof under the tiles on my house.

who is the best at this doing this lakeside.

what materials should used.

and what order should they be put on the roof

roof is 16 years old, with some leaks.

would like replacement roof to last over 20 years

Our roofs are a few years older than that, tile on sloped roof.  I'm assuming you have sloped roofs and you are referring to the curved roof tiles that are very common here.

Under our tiles is the roll type roofing with the embedded granules of sand.  Thus far we have been able to rehab those roofs by doing this:

1.  Remove all tiles and discard the broken or cracked ones.  Clean the rest with a pressure washer and replace the discarded ones with similar.  Immerse them all in a bath of clear sealer.

2.  Clean and coat the roll roofing with 10 year red roof coating.  Let dry thoroughly and carefully replace the red tile over-roof.

For several roofs, we replaced all the tiles.  We were able to find a close match to the original.  The new tiles were also sealed and dried before installation.

I have a guy who is really good at this, let me know if you want his information.

Gustavo put a new roof under the tiles on both my casita and my bodega.  The Casita I went with the brick solid roof in the Bodega a cheaper white material 

His number is 333-157-3048  He speaks english and has a good reputation.

Really need more info on the substructure under your tiles? What is currently under your tiles?

My casita roof is tile, under the tile was a thick plastic membrane, under that was tetapa sp? the woven palm mats . All supported on a steel frame.

It sagged, allowed nesting, water collected.

We had it all removed, cement board the was painted white on the interior side, and the top side was taped and cemented at the joints. The top side of the board was sealed with a roofing sealer. All the panels were screwed to the frame, the screw holes sealed as well. The  terra cotta tiles were cleaned, clear sealed by dipping and replaced. The room is brighter with the white interior color, the cement boards are probably a 50 year fix or more. Jose Hernandez did the job in 3 days. The casita is about 600 sq feet. The casita is dry and we have had zero problems in 5 years.

I repair and remplace my old roof in 2011, they take the old tile, them the plastic, and my contractor make a inspection in my wood beam, he chance somes wood beam, them he put petate, plastic and ths new tile. Before he put the tile, he clean tile by tile and them he, seal all tiles. My be you have to do tha same. Suerte!!!

My guys did a thin cement wash when plain cement was leaking. Then I put iimpermeabilizante over everything.  There is a fiberglass like material I used around thru pipes and corner. No leaks for almost 3 years  

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Our roofs are a few years older than that, tile on sloped roof.  I'm assuming you have sloped roofs and you are referring to the curved roof tiles that are very common here.

Under our tiles is the roll type roofing with the embedded granules of sand.  Thus far we have been able to rehab those roofs by doing this:

1.  Remove all tiles and discard the broken or cracked ones.  Clean the rest with a pressure washer and replace the discarded ones with similar.  Immerse them all in a bath of clear sealer.

2.  Clean and coat the roll roofing with 10 year red roof coating.  Let dry thoroughly and carefully replace the red tile over-roof.

For several roofs, we replaced all the tiles.  We were able to find a close match to the original.  The new tiles were also sealed and dried before installation.

I have a guy who is really good at this, let me know if you want his information.

I second Maincoons method.  I have the same over the sloped portions of my roof.  Sand/rock impregnated torched roll down roofing with Fester sealed Spanish tile over the top.  You do this and your roof should last forever, only replacing broken Spanish tiles occasionally.  Full proof leak proof method.

3 hours ago, zerbit said:

Our Guanajuato City house build ceiling material. Tile, plastic overlay, wire mesh and lightweight, sealed cement.

IMG-20170322-WA0013.jpg

Very cool ceiling!

Okay. I know what is probably the best solution for a flat roof-ceramic (waterproof) tiles. I guess that they would work on a sloped roof but it may not be worth the expense for you.

15 hours ago, cedros said:

Okay. I know what is probably the best solution for a flat roof-ceramic (waterproof) tiles. I guess that they would work on a sloped roof but it may not be worth the expense for you.

No tiles are waterproof unless the grout lines are sealed

10 minutes ago, sparks said:

No tiles are waterproof unless the grout lines are sealed

Ceramic tiles are pretty well water proof. And you need sealer on the grout.

It seems that many owners make the mistake of not going up on the roof with the workers several times a day to inspect.  Not necessarily trying to cheat you, some workers are on the job training program, sort of like the saying "fake it til you make it".

Archived