Chapala.com Webboard

What bathing cap to get and where?

cedros

I have been swimming laps in our commual pool (my pool it too shart) for some time. I swim early to avoid sun on my head as I had chemotherapy there twice in the last year. It looks like our fraccionamiento is going to force us to swim later so I will need a bathing cap that offers sun protection. I've never bought one and it is a bit confusing as to what type to look for The pool is fairly warm so a silicone or a neoprene cap might be too hot. Latex might be better for a warm pool. For sun protection lycra is maybe the best. Then there are rubber and spandex ones. Cloth? Does anyone have opinions on this subject. I guess Marti stores might be a place to look for them.

Just get a Red Green special - a plastic shower cap and some duct tape.B)

Try the swimming place in Riberas, I don't what it is called, but it is next door to where "Bubba's" used to be. Swimming caps are compulsory there, so they must sell them.

Occurs that maybe people don't know who Red Green is. He had a very popular comedy show in Canada in the late 90's, early 2000's. Small sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNPLcgUkHVw

Bonus - an (old) pool joke. The head of our Frac. comes up to me and says "You can't pee in the pool!" I said "Come on, everyone does it". He said, "not while standing on the diving board".

6 hours ago, cedros said:

I have been swimming laps in our commual pool (my pool it too shart) for some time. I swim early to avoid sun on my head as I had chemotherapy there twice in the last year. It looks like our fraccionamiento is going to force us to swim later so I will need a bathing cap that offers sun protection. I've never bought one and it is a bit confusing as to what type to look for The pool is fairly warm so a silicone or a neoprene cap might be too hot. Latex might be better for a warm pool. For sun protection lycra is maybe the best. Then there are rubber and spandex ones. Cloth? Does anyone have opinions on this subject. I guess Marti stores might be a place to look for them.

I purchased mine in WalMart

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I purchased mine in WalMart

What is it made of. It makes a big difference to me.

I have one if you want it. Sorry but I don't know what it's made of. I no longer have the package but it is new.

Thanks for the offers. Walmart has none and Marti has two types neither of which give solar protection

It is essential that the cap offers solar protection so off to somewhere in Guadalajara I guess.

As was mentioned before, there is a pool to the east of Puritan Chicken and S&S in Riberas. When our grandkids visited they got swim caps there for their lessons. Don't know the material or sizes but the pool is open to the public for lap swimming for a nominal fee so one might think they carry a variety of caps.

3 hours ago, John Shrall said:

As was mentioned before, there is a pool to the east of Puritan Chicken and S&S in Riberas. When our grandkids visited they got swim caps there for their lessons. Don't know the material or sizes but the pool is open to the public for lap swimming for a nominal fee so one might think they carry a variety of caps.

That is an indoor pool isn't it. If so it is away off topic. I'm writing about swimming outside in the sun-no cover.

1 hour ago, annabell1952 said:

I have one for sale for 25 pesos brand new.black and white zebra design Speedo on it. Says 100 percent silicone cap lightweight and comfortable

Thanks but I was at the Marti store today. They sell silicone caps and they said they don't offer any solar protection. They said they only keep your hair out of your eyes and may keep your hair dry. So not at all what I'm looking for.

I'll buy it Annabell. It will go perfect with my Akona, tropical weight, full wetsuit. If you are going to swim/aquajog in an unheated pool in the early mornings, might as well go for the whole deal. That chlorine is bad for your hair. PM when we can get together, say at Black Coffee, if that is central to you.

Archived