Chapala.com Webboard

On 4/5/2017 at 7:00 PM, IMBurnen said:

I bought a subscription to Mach in February using my Roku and found it to be consistently problematic. Freezing, dropping of the signal, plus the need to scroll endlessly through many channels without being able to know what you would see next was annoying. They also show only 1.5 hours worth of programming per channel so you can't see what's coming. I was told to change channels and reset my Roku account 3 times and that signaled the end for me. Good luck to you all.

Are you taking about the service that was the subject of the OP 

http://lakesidestream.com/

or is this something else? Everything I have read here says that you do not need a Roku or any other devise, just internet service. I know it seems almost too good to be true but with rainy season coming I would like to get rid of my Dish TV account at $75 a month for basic service. There are posts here of folks that seem to be very happy with this.

Not to speak for IMBurnen, but what he describes is Lakesidestream.  I have it now, and it DOES require a Roku stick. To the comments he makes, you can only see two hours of programming at once on the guide, and many times it is a generic listing "no info" so you can't always tell what's on. I have experienced some more freezing, but still not so much I would complain.

1 hour ago, NoVaDamer said:

Not to speak for IMBurnen, but what he describes is Lakesidestream.  I have it now, and it DOES require a Roku stick. To the comments he makes, you can only see two hours of programming at once on the guide, and many times it is a generic listing "no info" so you can't always tell what's on. I have experienced some more freezing, but still not so much I would complain.

Being a  non-tech guy I was confused (not unusual) but I see now that there are 2 streaming services discussed on this thread (maybe more)...http://lakesidestream.com/ at @ $25 per month that you need a Roku for and https://www.streamlive.to/premium @16.95 per month that only will require a HDMI cable to connect to my flat screen TV in the living room. I have compiled the posts on this service and am leaning this way unless there are some unseen circumstances that would sway me the other way, Here are the posts:

***I signed up for Streamlive.to. The first month is $11.95 and $16.95 thereafter. You don't need to hide your IP. It has every available English Channel, every U.S. and many E.U. stations. I haven't had any freezing or lags. All stations are always available. I am dropping Telecable and going with this service.

http://www.streamlive.to/

***Are you saying Streamlive doesn't support Roku? Why would it? It is a live-stream direct to your computer or TV without needing anything other device. There isn't a device. There isn't an app. It is pure, 100% internet connection. Go to the site and check it out. You sign up, you pay, you get a premium account, you click on what channel you want to watch, you watch that channel. No apps, no devices, nada, nothing. https://www.streamlive.to/premium.

***An HDMI cable would do the trick. Mine is 23 feet long (Steren's)

When you go to their website there is a link to the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.  It says you must purchase and install the app. I have a large computer monitor I watch it on.  If you TV accepts an internet signal I don't know why you couldn't watch it on the TV. Try these instructions to connect your TV; http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-PC-to-TV

***Click on the link, streamlive.to/premium when the page opens click on streamlive.to when that page opens right at the top of that page are the words "must download app"  and the link to Apple and Google. Many smart TV's use Android apps, Samsung being one of them. My neighbor signed up for lakeside streaming yesterday and had to purchase a Roku stick..

My other concern is ease of use. From what I understand Roku is used as a kind of remote control. How does Streamlive work in that respect. I do not want to be jumping back and forth between my couch and the computer in another room. Also even though Lakeside stream is a little more expensive they offer local service and the Roku is not that expensive. So many decisions and so little time knowing the the rainy season is approaching and disrupting my TV viewing at the most inappropriate time and also the outrageous $70 monthly fee for basic satellite service. I thank all you tech geeks out there for your valuable input. 

Gringohombre, I see you are in San Antonio.  We just bought a house here and we are trying to figure out the TV situation.  Back in the USA we have a regular old internet/landline/TV  cable service.

Wondering if the internet here in SA is fast enough to a accommodate the streamline.to you are discussing? Thus far using the 10mb Telmex internet service with our tablets we haven't had any issues downloading. Uploading is slow, but we don't do much of that. 

We will have only one TV at a time  in the house, streaming.

1 hour ago, kimanjome said:

Gringohombre, I see you are in San Antonio.  We just bought a house here and we are trying to figure out the TV situation.  Back in the USA we have a regular old internet/landline/TV  cable service.

Wondering if the internet here in SA is fast enough to a accommodate the streamline.to you are discussing? Thus far using the 10mb Telmex internet service with our tablets we haven't had any issues downloading. Uploading is slow, but we don't do much of that. 

We will have only one TV at a time  in the house, streaming.

The last time I checked the download speed here was about 5 mg. I am by no means a tech guy so cannot give you more help in this area. In fact as you see from my last post here (a week ago) I have many questions that have not been answered. I asked a friend who is more up on these matters to look into lakestream.com and here is what he emailed me:

Based on what I see on the website, it seems to me like the channels are all pirated. Tracing this back as far as I can go leads me to MachTV, which is a service that can (and should) be shut down any day now because they are taking a TV signal and charging for it. The website is also very poorly made. This is a very fishy service, and definitely illegal. Personally I wouldn’t solicit it. They have it set up like a pyramid scheme. MachTV licenses resellers, one of those resellers licensed Lakeside Stream, and the chain could eventually go down further from there. However, if you do decide to solicit for them to install it, be sure you’re paying monthly instead of annually. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets shut down in a week, and they definitely won’t refund your money if/when that happens. Personally I use an AppleTV. The AppleTV is extremely easy to use and has voice control that works very well, not to mention having all of Apple’s other services linked to my TV (Photos from iPhone, apps, streaming from iPhone, Music, etc.).Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc.  are available, however these have different costs and do not operate like regular TV channels (for better or for worse when it comes to commercials, live tv, etc.) and some of them require a VPN to work optimally. Just Netflix at $10 a month seems to work really well for most people and has a good selection of fantastic TV (and original exclusive shows as well.). Do you have experience with Netflix?

As for the Netflix question there is another recent thread here covering this and from what I see it wil not work for my TV viewing preferences. Maybe I will have to stick to the costly Dish TV that I have and put up with the reception interruptions during the rain. When I moved here 9 years ago there were no streaming options and even now these seem dicey. Back then I invested in one huge 10" dish and  a medium 4" dish (to get some HD channels) and worked with a guy in Ajijic who sets you up with a fake US address for the subscription. My monthly bill for basic is now $70. Let me know if you find a better option. Gracias.

We only use streaming services (cut the cable about three years ago), and have successfully used various streaming services on our Roku since moving lakeside a little over two years ago (USTVNow, MachTVPlus, Quarks-Pro Radiosity, and PIX). Our home is off the Libramiento, we have a newer TelMex router (about one year old), and have pretty consistent WIFI (2.4-3.1 Mbps) speed. These are my experiences, and may or may not be valid for others or in the area where you live. My background is in IT, however, it is not very difficult at all to set up a Roku, Roku account, and gain access to these services. Some offer free trials so you can determine which meets/does not meet your needs, preferences, and pocketbook.

USTVNow charges more than the other services, has fewer basic program stations, and had a lot of difficulty with streaming/buffering. They do, however, offer a free 45-day trial, and thereafter it is $19/month for first three months, then $29/month. A premium plan for $99/month is also available. This service can be loaded on multiple devices for no additional fee.

MachTV from MatchTVPlus.org was a good fit for us, but is no longer being offered through MatchTVPlus.org. They now offer Radiosity and PIX -- both streaming services that can be purchased for $20.99/month (less if purchased in 3-, 6-, or 12-month packages.) They have been very responsive to questions and emails (less than 5 minutes, usually 2-3 mintues). This price is a "per device" charge, so beware if you have more than one Roku.

Lakeside Stream is offering Quarks-Pro for $25/month. I paid for and tried to get their services to work for over a week, but was (sadly) unsuccessful at ever getting it to load on my Roku. It's my understanding (not my first-hand experience) that they have also had technical difficulties during some of the local product demonstrations. Needless-to-say, I wish Lakeside Stream much success, but have requested a refund at this time. If I hear back from them, I will update this post.

Hope this is helpful information for those folks who want to "cut the cable".

USTVNow charges more than the other services, has fewer basic program stations, and had a lot of difficulty with streaming/buffering. They do, however, offer a free 45-day trial, and thereafter it is $19/month for first three months, then $29/month. A premium plan for $99/month is also available. This service can be loaded on multiple devices for no additional fee.

For $10 more you get the cloud DVR which for us makes it a no brainier. We are not movie watchers.

20 minutes ago, chartiec said:

Just buy a media box with Kodi ( cost about 900 pesos) and you can get all the tv and movies for free off the internet legally

Where to get one for the 900 pesos? How difficult is it to set up?

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Joco said:

Mymachtv will give you a 24 hour trial period for IPTV without a Roku. I tried it and the picture was clear with no freezing. It does offer a lot of European and sports channels of which I am not interested but they claim there are several hundred channels and the price is less than Telecable so it can't be too bad a deal.  https://www.mymachtv.tv/about

I am going to try a service that has only USA stations and I'll let people know how it works out.

5 hours ago, snowyela said:

Just buy a media box with Kodi ( cost about 900 pesos) and you can get all the tv and movies for free off the internet legally

Where to get one for the 900 pesos? How difficult is it to set up?

I was in Guadalajara for Semana Santa and saw 2 models of Android Smart internet TV boxes in a well stocked electronics store on Simon Corona 1 1/2 blocks from the Cathedral 2 doors from the Chata Restaurant for $365.00 and $450.00 pesos already loaded with KODI and many addons. They are very hard to keep running properly and a long learning curve to get the most out of them. IMO

I bought a new one with more memory and Android 6.0.1 and a better graphics card and installed the latest KODI 17.1 recently from Mercado Libre and it cost $1995 pesos, well worth the upgrade from my other cheaper box, which died after 6 months of heavy use. This one runs with no freezes so far.The other one froze and locked up many many times. My almost constant Telmex download speed is 10 Meg and upload is close to 1 meg.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:33 PM, snowyela said:

I bought mine at the Plaza Tecnologia in GDL and set it up myself. Easy now as this purchase was a new generation model and I had experience with older version. New boxes now have Kodi built in so all you need to do up to get started is set up Fusion and Exodus. Pretty easy. Can find instructions onlinewith Google or have a local computer guy do it for you.

Lakeside Stream now has Roku announcement-----THIS UNAUTHORIZED SERVICE HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO REPEATED CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT..

jimfos - you need to do the reset with the new permission code. Look on their webite under Support at the bottom. It's easy to do.

My apologies to Lakeside..... Just reporting that I had no access. Never knew a reset was necessary. Go figure, eh. I've been paying Telecable for 8 mg for years (San Antonio). Lakeside techie reported I had only 1.77. Telecable techie's reply was 'switch to 5 mg plan. Helpful....... So is it my fault I don't spend all my time online investigating nuances. Mea culpa. I do have a life offline.

We just ordered this and will load with Kodi when it comes. At least the reviews are very good. This is all new to us but Shaw at approx. $100 a month with less and less programming of interest has us looking at options. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZV9RDKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks KW but hasn't worked for me. Following instructions (scrolling up down, page shifts, etc.) finally got me to page in Spanish with no place to enter new channel. Fluent in Spanish but no help if no place to enter info. 

I use to have SHAW,  but with the new rules and regulations in Canada and with their new satellite going on line, eventually within a few months both theirs first 2 satellites signals will be added to this new 3rd one. Then theirs satellites signals will remain only in Canada for the Canadian market.

so I tried Roku for awhile but due to dealing between Roku signal and Carlos Slim...one morning the screen of my tv remained black...my streaming was gone.

now I have Buzz TV with 2 servers...I am in heaven and it works with my about snail speed internet...can hardly wait to get my connection with ILOX

The 3rd satellite went up years ago, and it will be several years before the older two are decommissioned. This is fact, not rumour.

And to be clear, for anyone interested, Buzz TV is just another in a lineup of hundreds of different types of Android TV boxes. When they work, they often work great. When they don't, or when their "best by" date expires (that is, the box will no longer accept software updates), it needs to be ditched and replaced. That's why those were were advertising installation services at are having serious problems with their customer base.

One Buzz TV site also sells MyGica, just another Korean import. I have a MyGica that is two years old and won't go beyond Android 4.4, which makes it useless. You cannot even find a BuzzTV official website, just a bunch of resellers. For example. "getbuzz.tv" shows a product with Android 5.1, which is hopelessly out of date. Getbuzz.ca shows it with Android 6. Android 7.1 has been available since January, and may even now be out of date. So if you can't even get the straight poop from these people, be wary.

I have a client who is using an X96Mini, yet another type which seems to be working great. So the reality is, you need to know someone who is heavily into this technology and keeps up on the latest news, or you are going to be frustrated. Expect to have to buy new hardware every couple of years until some sort of standardization is met.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Expect to have to buy new hardware every couple of years until some sort of standardization is met.

So they are spending money on hardware for free tv that comes and goes instead of just paying for the tv service.  🤣

27 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So they are spending money on hardware for free tv that comes and goes instead of just paying for the tv service.  🤣

Maybe, however the cost of the box is much, much less than a subscription. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Maybe, however the cost of the box is much, much less than a subscription. 

And the subscription is  much, much more legal.  🤣