Chapala.com Webboard

need someone that knows about golf cart batteries

sputnik

Check with Jaime Hernandez at Hernandez Auto Electric on the street going south from the Coke warehouse/Fenix Real Estate in San Antonio Tlay.  His shop is on the left, 1/2 block south of the Carretera, next to a garden Centre.  He services golf carts as well as vehicles.  Speaks good English.

We had golf cart batteries for many years boondocking with our RV. They have extra thick lead plates which can withstand deep, rapid charge, boiling deposits off the plates. Normal "wet" auto batteries cannot take this, gel batteries are even worse. So a good charger is the key, one that monitors battery temperature and can deliver a full charge, then a maintenance charge. The best use of batteries is to be cycled, taken down to a dead battery, then all the may back up again. So you may have have a 'clogged' battery, maybe it just needs a professional charge. If the golf cart batteries are really going bad, they bulge through the sides. We used to use the six volt batteries because you can connect them in series to get twelve or twenty four volts. The advantage of series is that if you have a weak battery, it will still go on to charge the other battery. If you had two twelve volt batteries, hooked up parallel, to provide twelve volts, the weakest battery would block the other from charging. Many serious off roaders have two batteries, but they are wired and switched to work independently from each other. The best battery I have ever had is manufactured in Mexico, the Optima Spiral Cell. Expensive though - I don't know if they have a golf cart model.

Thank you so very much for everyones valuable information.  Mother had a stroke, had to return to the US quickly..  and had to stay 5 months.  Not thinking when we left and did not disconnect batteries.  Read and watched youtube videos to buy good 12 volt charger at auto zone which we did,,,,followed instructions on how to charge up each battery but we were not successful,,,,so,,,,will see Jaime....thank you so very much for everyones input.!!!

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Are the batteries dry, no liquid in them? I have heard you can add distilled water to them and they will slowly rejeuvanate. I do not know details, but I'll bet the internet does. You might have to purchase battery acid.

On 2017-03-28 at 4:43 PM, sputnik said:

read about distilled water,,,put it in,,,called Jaime and will see him tomorrow.

Were you able to revive your batteries? I noticed you bought a 12 volt charger -  I think most golf cart batteries are only 6 volts and a 12 volt wouldn't be correct.

1 hour ago, snowyela said:

I noticed you bought a 12 volt charger -  I think most golf cart batteries are only 6 volts and a 12 volt wouldn't be correct.

Unless 2 of them were connected in 'series', making it a 12V system.....

Archived