Chapala.com Webboard

Best place to rent a car?

On 3/27/2017 at 9:29 PM, sunshine59 said:

I'm looking for recommendations for the best company to rent a car from? And what would be the best driving route to Puerta Vallarta? Thank you.

You may also wish to contact Mark at (333) 398-9045. Has more reasonable rates...

Go on Expedia and get a quote for a car at the Guadalajara airport. If you have any decent US credit card, they will cover all the insurance if you rent the car on the card. Call the number on the back of the card if you don't know. 

Take the 15 Cuota west and exit on 200 where indicated. Follow the signs. 

7 hours ago, tomgates said:

Go on Expedia and get a quote for a car at the Guadalajara airport. If you have any decent US credit card, they will cover all the insurance if you rent the car on the card. Call the number on the back of the card if you don't know. 

Take the 15 Cuota west and exit on 200 where indicated. Follow the signs. 

Friends just rented at the airport from Budget, They were told they could not use their credit card (Visa) for insurance until they provide Budget with a letter from Visa stating they would cover the insurance.  I have never rented in Mexico but in Canada the USA and Europe Budget accepted my credit card for auto insurance with no questions asked.

If you get in an accident in Mexico and can't show Mexican insurance you will probably remain in jail until it can be proved they have insurance that covers them here. Doubt the police oils accept a letter from Visa in the U.S. as proof.

Read the thread "Monday Accident" posted by BMH this past November.

In Mexico, liability insurance is on the CAR, not the driver. Biggest scam is selling "optional" liability ins. Joyfull, just show them the benefit info that comes with the credit card disclosure. Never had a problem in over 10 years renting cars.

If you want to pay through the nose renting from the people here, go ahead. TelZ4, you rent the car on the credit card and decline CDW. 

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

In Mexico, liability insurance is on the CAR, not the driver. Biggest scam is selling "optional" liability ins. Joyfull, just show them the benefit info that comes with the credit card disclosure. Never had a problem in over 10 years renting cars.

If you want to pay through the nose renting from the people here, go ahead. TelZ4, you rent the car on the credit card and decline CDW. 

I don't need to rent a car I have my own..  I was just relaying the story told to me yesterday by a friend who told me Budget Rent a Car at GDL airport refused to rent him a vehicle unless he produced a letter from the credit card company which was Visa stating that they accept  liability for the vehicle. He had already prepaid for this vehicle so his only choice was to take their insurance or fight with them to get his money back...

I too have frequently had to pay for the "optional" liability when renting cars in Mexico. Recently in Cancun, I rented a car from Fox and did not have to pay the optional liability. I did prepay the CDW to Expedia because it was so cheap and didn't have an issue with that either. And that was the cheapest rental at only $4 a day!

Pappy, I have had 2 issues with minor body damage to the car in the past, one with American Express and one with Chase. Both took care of the damage cost. The charges for the damage were charged to the card and when processed, I called them to explain and the charges were deleted.

• 9 months later...

The issue is having Mexican insurance not in a minor fender bender but in an accident where police are called. I would agree that odds of police accepting a letter in English from Visa are remote. You need to be able to call an insurance representative to meet someone at the accident scene and, if everyone has insurance, work out who is going to pay what.

We have a van reserved for a week starting next month and the best rate by far was through Exedia with pickup at the airport. I drove out to talk to the rental agent and they confirmed the rate and will accept the Expedia CDW but they want to sell us addition Liability Insurance at $20/day. I questioned this because the car comes with 750,000 pesos but they explained the new insurance levels are much higher. I checked this on Google and they're right so I don't have an issue with better coverage. 

Archived