Chapala.com Webboard

Stray dogs

38 minutes ago, bmh said:

When the Hmong people (not vietnamese) moved to San Francisco all the dog, cat and wild life started to disappear in the Golden gate park ...same thing..

One person's pet is another person's meal.  That even goes for us Humans in Papua New Guinea.

Truthfully, I think more than a little of the dog crap problem around here is caused by the dog walkers the expat hire and ignore the fact they obviously don't bother to pick up after the dogs.  I've seen one of these jokers walking six dogs in the Malecon park, pissing and crapping all the way on the lawns and everywhere else including where the kids play.  Ugh!

I've also seen more than a few expats merrily watching their dogs poop and then walking away and leaving it for someone to step in.

Aside from the barking, IMHO the biggest part of the dog problem here is caused by the expat community, not the Mexican one.  I haven't seen near the sidewalk/street crap problem in wholly Mexican towns that I see here.  So the snarky remarks to the OP's legitimate question suggesting they shouldn't live here because of the dog problem are off base.  True, they probably shouldn't live around a bunch of expats who think just because they live in Mexico it is OK to be an irresponsible dog owner and a health hazard to the community.

I'd have to disagree. The common Mexican belief is that animals don't have souls; that is why you would regularly see kids and adults kicking and beating dogs in the street. That is why they leave them out all day, or on the roof to bark. That is why there is a country overrun with strays. You really think that they care about poop?

It has only been the last few years that this perception has started to change. Only been a few years since some Mexicans have started using a leash on their dogs.

I also disagree with MC's post. The OP asked: "Are there a lot of unleashed, uncollared dogs roaming the streets or is there some type of animal control in place? Are there many areas with dogs howling and barking during the wee hours?" 

There ARE a lot of unleashed, uncollared dogs roaming the streets and there is no official, NOB-style animal control in place. There ARE areas with howling, barking dogs at all hours, not just the wee ones. If an issue is of such great concern that it earns a stand-alone post, then I assume the issue is really important to the poster. I would not say "Don't move to Mexico" but I do say this would not be an area where the OP would be comfortable. I have heard too many expats who are truly distressed by the dog situation here, some so much that they return NOB. 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Truthfully, I think more than a little of the dog crap problem around here is caused by the dog walkers the expat hire and ignore the fact they obviously don't bother to pick up after the dogs.  I've seen one of these jokers walking six dogs in the Malecon park, pissing and crapping all the way on the lawns and everywhere else including where the kids play.  Ugh!

I've also seen more than a few expats merrily watching their dogs poop and then walking away and leaving it for someone to step in.

Aside from the barking, IMHO the biggest part of the dog problem here is caused by the expat community, not the Mexican one.  I haven't seen near the sidewalk/street crap problem in wholly Mexican towns that I see here.  So the snarky remarks to the OP's legitimate question suggesting they shouldn't live here because of the dog problem are off base.  True, they probably shouldn't live around a bunch of expats who think just because they live in Mexico it is OK to be an irresponsible dog owner and a health hazard to the community.

I just came from a lower-middle class Mexican neighborhood in Baja Sur. Not a Gringo in sight, but a LOT of strays everywhere, lots of dog crap and barking and howling all night. Obviously a lot of unwanted dogs in a community without any type of effective animal control. A few miles down the road was the tourist zone-not a stray to be found. It seems that these poor creatures have miserable lives from beginning to end, but just wanted to point out that the stray problem does occur in the Mexican neighborhoods as well. It surely did in this one anyway.

10 minutes ago, Xena said:

I also disagree with MC's post. The OP asked: "Are there a lot of unleashed, uncollared dogs roaming the streets or is there some type of animal control in place? Are there many areas with dogs howling and barking during the wee hours?" 

There ARE a lot of unleashed, uncollared dogs roaming the streets and there is no official, NOB-style animal control in place. There ARE areas with howling, barking dogs at all hours, not just the wee ones. If an issue is of such great concern that it earns a stand-alone post, then I assume the issue is really important to the poster. I would not say "Don't move to Mexico" but I do say this would not be an area where the OP would be comfortable. I have heard too many expats who are truly distressed by the dog situation here, some so much that they return NOB. 

I'm not surprised. Just wanted to point out that when I was last in San Miguel de Allende I didn't remember seeing ANY stray dogs. I suppose it all comes down to the locality. Some places are really bad and some places not so bad.

I've had two people disagree with me, neither of whom live in Ajijic and actually visit the Malecon in the mornings when it is very easy to see exactly as I described.

I obviously wasn't referring to Baja Sur either.  Or Chapala or Riberas.  Just to be clear, I am describing what goes on in Ajijic.

Of course I don't even have to go to the Malecon, I can look out front of my house and watch the expats or their dog walkers empty said dogs on the street and go right on.  Some of them no doubt know me because I don't hesitate to let them know their rudeness is not appreciated.

There aren't that many street dogs around here but there are a bunch of inconsiderate expats and their dog walking employees.   It is always a pleasure when I can thank someone for picking up after their dog.

Where you stand on this is what feeling you have about this true statistic. 12,000 dogs in Mexico City (CDMX) and 5,000 dogs in Guadalajara are euthanized PER MONTH. The gated communities/fracs/condos are getting stricter and stricter bylaws about dogs and cats, for example, fines of 500 pesos per month for any number of dogs or cats over the community limits. Others advocate a new local animal control unit, funded by an annual license for around 250 pesos per year. We are finally pet free, and loving it (don't have to stay in seedy motels any more when travelling for example). Don't let the dog issue scare you away, there are lots of oases of tranquillity here.

Plenty of dog crap in San Cristobal de las casas where there are few expats living there. Mexicans do not pick up after their dogs. On some streets the owners of houses wash the sidewalks as it is their responsibility and in others there crap everywhere..

There are many more dogs owned by Mexicans here than dogs owned by foreigners because there are so many more Mexicans here than foreigners so most of the crap probably doesn't come from foreign owned dogs.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I've had two people disagree with me, neither of whom live in Ajijic and actually visit the Malecon in the mornings when it is very easy to see exactly as I described.

I obviously wasn't referring to Baja Sur either.  Or Chapala or Riberas.  Just to be clear, I am describing what goes on in Ajijic.

What a ridiculous thing to say. I live in Riberas, but I understand Mexico as a whole. And I hit every damn township on this side of the lake day and night, frequently. So please retract that little bit of baloney. Or are you saying either that Ajijic is unique in this respect, and/or that you don't know anything about the other places like Chapala or Riberas.

And I made it quite plain I wasn't writing about Mexico as a whole.  You even quoted it so please read my posts better.  You may be generalizing but I am not.  I don't pretend to know what goes on in Riberas let alone on the street in front of your house.  I seriously doubt you know what goes on in the street in front of my house. 

Compared to the number of expat dogs around my neighborhood, the street dogs are a minority.  Most of the dog crap does not come from the minority here.

Most Mexican communities do not have nearly so many expats, and their dogs, as Ajijic, and that includes Riberas and Chapala.  The dog walkers literally walk them in packs here, and in La Floresta, and I've yet to see a one of them clean up anything.  Probably one in four of the expat dog walkers clean up after their pets.

Look MC, the writing is on the wall - sell your ghetto mansion for what ever you can, and move to the suburbs. That is what you guys should have done in the first place. Moving into the equivalent of an inner city Chicago hood, and making things "right" -is never going  to happen. Find some quiet bliss in your scant remainding years, your health, happiness and zen will reward you for it. Namaste me Bro'.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Where you stand on this is what feeling you have about this true statistic. 12,000 dogs in Mexico City (CDMX) and 5,000 dogs in Guadalajara are euthanized PER MONTH. The gated communities/fracs/condos are getting stricter and stricter bylaws about dogs and cats, for example, fines of 500 pesos per month for any number of dogs or cats over the community limits. Others advocate a new local animal control unit, funded by an annual license for around 250 pesos per year. We are finally pet free, and loving it (don't have to stay in seedy motels any more when travelling for example). Don't let the dog issue scare you away, there are lots of oases of tranquillity here.

What a waste!  I'm still wondering what dog tacos might taste like.  My wife informs me that I've probably already had them unwittingly!

Look Chillin, MYOB.  You're another guy who doesn't live here who presumes to tell others what to do and where to live.  I reported what I see here and who the majority of the offenders are HERE.  Not THERE where you live.

You and CG are welcome to disagree with something I post though the both of you can't seem to just do so without getting personal.  But you are not free to pick a fight with me about something I didn't post so please knock if off.

9 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Yes, dog walkers and dog owners should pick up after the dogs in their charge but. I would have to question why you don't think the pet dogs that Mexicans let run loose on the streets don't also poop on the sidewalks, malecon and streets.  

I have to question why it is so hard to understand that my comments are specifically local.  What part of I AM NOT GENERALIZING don't several of you understand.  Other than noting we don't have a lot of street dogs HERE I said nothing about where they poop.  OBVIOUSLY they poop on the sidewalks, Malecon and streets.

Sheesh!

35 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And I made it quite plain I wasn't writing about Mexico as a whole.  You even quoted it so please read my posts better.  You may be generalizing but I am not.  I don't pretend to know what goes on in Riberas let alone on the street in front of your house.  I seriously doubt you know what goes on in the street in front of my house.

No. You read mine more carefully. I WAS talking about Mexico as a whole. That was MY point. Look, we all get that you are sick of this place. We all get that you will never let a point stand. We all get that you are never wrong. You know what? It's not winning you any points.

Except that I didn't disagree with you, you disagreed with me, more specifically something I didn't even post.  

I went back and looked at the post you are carrying on about and I admit that I didn't make it plain enough for some of you even though the two who seem to have gone hostile over the post know where I live and what I was referring to when I said HERE.  That has been more than amply clarified in my subsequent posts.  

Your personal observations are both incorrect and unwelcome.  Now knock off the personal attacks.

25 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have to question why it is so hard to understand that my comments are specifically local.  What part of I AM NOT GENERALIZING don't several of you understand.  Other than noting we don't have a lot of street dogs HERE I said nothing about where they poop.  OBVIOUSLY they poop on the sidewalks, Malecon and streets.

Sheesh!

I believe you said malecon.  Maybe I missed where you said specifically Ajijic malecon?  There is a malecon in Chapala and also one in Joco.  Maybe other lakeside villages.  Malecon is a generic word, not specific to Ajijic, so perhaps others did not realize you specifically meant the malecon in Ajijic.

Yes, I see that I need to be super specific in order to avoid  being misinterpreted and subsequently personally attacked by several people here.  Hopefully we now ALL UNDERSTAND I AM REFERRING TO AJIJIC AND THE MALECON.

And thank you bdington for simply pointing out the specificity wasn't quite clear without adding a bunch of personal unpleasantness.  

Can we move on now, please?

Well, I never walk the Ajijic malecon, but if what Maincoons says about the morning gringo dog walkers, about how they walk in large groups, I can imagine that there are lots of dog poop everywhere.  I live in Chapala and I walk the malecon daily and I don't feel that our malecon has much dog poop on it.  In fact it doesn't hardly have any dog poop on it at all.  I walk my little pooch on it most evenings and she rarely encounters poop, I know because when she does she stops and lets me know she found some.  But so far, knock on wood, we haven't had any dog poisoning cases either.  To add to that, we have very few expats living in Chapala, so go figure.

Archived