Chapala.com Webboard

SCAMMER IS BACK WITH A NEW TACTIC

JUST GOT A PHONE CALL FROM THE SAME SCAMMER WHO USED TO CALL ON MY OLD PHONE NUMBER.  INSTEAD OF MY "LONG-LOST COUSIN," HE CLAIMED TO BE A NEIGHBOR. CALLING NUMBER WAS 331-754-8801. WHEN I ASKED IF HE WAS THE SAME SCAMMER, HE HUNG UP.  

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER    :rolleyes:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I just had a call from an unlisted "out of the area" number.  Guy starts talking to me in espanol.  I say I don't understand very well.  He keeps talking.  I say en espanol "Who are you?  Tell me your name, tell me your name"  He says "I don't speak English"  I say ADIOS and hung up.  

Or you could agree to give him the money if he will meet you IFO the local PD because you are scared to carry so much cash with you. :)

Poor scammers -they don't realise that many of the people here have the time, and actually enjoy, playing with them.

Comedian Tom Mabe is brilliant at this game. Unfortunately, it may be a little cruel, because they are just doing their job. Whereas scammers think they are so brilliant and talented they don't need a job.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tom+mabe+telemarketer

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Poor scammers -they don't realise that many of the people here have the time, and actually enjoy, playing with them.

Comedian Tom Mabe is brilliant at this game. Unfortunately, it may be a little cruel, because they are just doing their job. Whereas scammers think they are so brilliant and talented they don't need a job.

I just listened to the Tom Mabe audio and it was so funny it brought tears to my eyes.  To bad my Spanish isn't good enough to try that down here.

23 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

CHILLIN, this just about gave me a stroke I laughed so hard!

I tried to start a new topic about a different crank caller, but my last post comes up in the "new" post.  ???  A computer glitch or what?

Anyway, I just had another crank call from "michael"  "hawks" ??  I couldn't quite understand his last name which I demanded.  This idi*t has called my house before.  This time I read him my introductory "riot act" and you know ezpz does not like to mince words.  I firmly demanded to know where he got my number.  He said "in the bar"  I said I never go into bars, which is true, and I would NEVER give my # to some creep in a bar, never ever did that in my life.  His # is 335-331-5237.  Where is 335 from?   I sort of cussed him out and said I would report him to the police if he called again (can they actually do anything about this sort of thing?) and slammed down the phone.  I never gave him a chance to get around to the scam part.  

If he calls again, maybe I'll ask him exactly where he is right now because I want to go to meet him to give him some money.  Sound good?  THEN, I'll call the police with his info, except he is probably a liar anyway.  

I can't imagine where he got my number, I don't even list it in the LCS directory. Maybe someone with a similar phone # actually did give it to him but he was drunk and wrote it down wrong??  Maybe he just dials random numbers until he comes up with a patsy with very low self esteem.  Really, who would fall for that crap?

4 hours ago, ezpz said:

I tried to start a new topic about a different crank caller, but my last post comes up in the "new" post.  ???  A computer glitch or what?

Anyway, I just had another crank call from "michael"  "hawks" ??  I couldn't quite understand his last name which I demanded.  This idi*t has called my house before.  This time I read him my introductory "riot act" and you know ezpz does not like to mince words.  I firmly demanded to know where he got my number.  He said "in the bar"  I said I never go into bars, which is true, and I would NEVER give my # to some creep in a bar, never ever did that in my life.  His # is 335-331-5237.  Where is 335 from?   I sort of cussed him out and said I would report him to the police if he called again (can they actually do anything about this sort of thing?) and slammed down the phone.  I never gave him a chance to get around to the scam part.  

If he calls again, maybe I'll ask him exactly where he is right now because I want to go to meet him to give him some money.  Sound good?  THEN, I'll call the police with his info, except he is probably a liar anyway.  

I can't imagine where he got my number, I don't even list it in the LCS directory. Maybe someone with a similar phone # actually did give it to him but he was drunk and wrote it down wrong??  Maybe he just dials random numbers until he comes up with a patsy with very low self esteem.  Really, who would fall for that crap?

Maybe you could pull one of those clever "Mabe" responses CHILLIN posted about.  Hopefully have a Mexican friend around at the time who could pose as a Narco.  Tell him he's been GPS'ed and there is nowhere for him to hide and the "compadres" are on their way to give him a "visit".  Or maybe not just in case he turns out to be one?

On 3/27/2017 at 0:22 PM, CHILLIN said:

I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair!!   So funny!!! 

I have told telemarketers that my spouse either died or is in prison.  The telemarketer just doesn't know how to respond to something like that.  One time I did a Jerry Seinfeld routine. I asked for their number so I can call them back!!  They quickly hung up

Oh yeah, now I remember. They advertised in the Guad Reporter and you called a number, hung up, your phone rang and you had a dial tone in the country you had selected. That was a while back, no?

Yeah, a lot of us used to use that kind of service.

In answer to the question "how would they get my number", they didn't: there is software avaialble that just keeps dialing in a pre-determined area code; marketers have been using the stuff for eons.

I am getting tired of this--ahem--darned stuff. We get 3 phone calls a day on some days--NOT a biggie, but darn, we value our privacy and quiet. Our main phone shows the number from which the call is made, so if I do not recognize the number as being local, I just pick up the phone and hang up. But, it is still an annoyance. Would love to know how to get these guys back!!! Let's get together on this: maybe we could all answer the phone and say, "This is Greta Garbo speaking from the grave, may I help you?"  (I do a great Greta Garbo interpretation!) Suggestions enthusiastically received--I look forward to hearing from youse guys!

For those of you who own a telephone line in your name, your name and number and often, address, are listed in the Telmex Mexican directory.  The directories come out every year; someone comes around bringing the new phone book in exchange for the old, and a 10 peso tip.  The directory covers several municipalities, including Chapala and it's villages.

Most likely the number you refer to is a two digit area code (33), which corresponds to Guadalajara, both cell phones and some land lines. The numbers are 2+8 digits, instead of 3+7.

21 hours ago, Oatsie said:

We just got a call from "Don, you know. with the white pick up."

After dancing around for a while, he hung up.

His call display number was 335 331 5237.

That is the same number as "michael" who called me!  Seems like this guy, who sounds like a flaky aging gringo, is in need of some judiciously applied karma.  You can make up your own, jaja!  Have at it!

I received a call on Wed. evening from "Paul, you know, from the Hiking Club."  Since I do know a Paul from the Hiking club, I listened to the rest of his spiel.  It seems that Paul's wife (who he identified correctly) had been involved in a fender bender.  He (Paul) was tied up in a meeting in Guadalajara, but would I please wire some mordida money to this number:  331-751-8801.  The caller ID on the phone was 335-331-5237.  Well, long story short, for reasons which I will not go into here, I didn't believe him.  When I said that I didn't recognize his voice, he switched to texts, still asking for $3000 pesos to be wired to the phone no.  I was to go to Guadalajara Pharmacy and send the money.  

At that point I said that I thought that he was scamming me, he said never mind I'll ask someone else, and hung up.

I hadn't been aware that this has been happening for a while.  I wish it were put in the Guadalajara Reporter one week, so that other Gringos would be aware of it.  The last part of my story is kind of weird.  This guy has targeted folks in my immediate neighborhood.  We are all within 200 meters of each other.  So it was me, Paul and two other neighbors who've been contacted.  Is it possible to go around the neighborhoods with a computer and somehow find out the phone numbers of those living in the homes along the street?

This guy somehow knows so much about different people.  I wonder if there is a connection.  Same thing happened to a friend of mine and neighbors.  This guy knew names of family members, their full names and where they shopped.  Really scary and unhappy person.

Coupla things: The Reporter has had stories about this several times; also lots of stories about the mustard scam, and all kinds of other things. It's not news. And I have not heard of a method for scanning a neighbourhood for phone numbers, no.

• 3 weeks later...

On Saturday my friend in Colorado had a call on her cel from 52-1-333-181-8992.  She answered and there was a hang up.  After a few seconds she received a text... "hi, this is Mike,  I'm a friend of xxxx. Her phone died & she needs $, pls send to my number at Farmacia Guadalajara."   My friend replied, "I'm in Colorado".  He texted "yes, you can send $ to Mex, no problem".  She then figured it was extortion, and didn't reply.  I happen to be in the states, and saw her today and she mentioned the exchange.  Unfortunately she deleted the text, but we had the number from the hang up.  

"Mike" has called my landline in the past, asking me to guess who it is; once he called and said "it's Michael", I said who?  He replied "your favorite nephew silly!".  I hung up.  I have one nephew, not named Michael.  This past March, as I wrote on the other similar thread, he'd called posing as my neighbor, from Costco.  I played with him, "Oh Jim" and finally told him I didn't have a neighbor Jim.  I think he forgot he called me and called back hours later, same story.

i know he can find my name and landline in the Telmex Directory.  What frightens me is I have no idea how he could get my friend's cell number in the states.  She has never called me except on my Mexican cell, and has never been to Mexico.  Can someone hack my cell?  This scammer is getting far too sophisticated.

Archived