Chapala.com Webboard

SAN CRISTOBAL NIGHT LIFE VIDEO

ezpz

I recently had a great time visiting Chiapas.  I offer this video as an example of a place that has lots of great live music, and none of it too loud.  This video shows only a sampling of the music; different acts played every night and they were all great, no amateur hacks!   All the places shown in this video were 1-2 blocks from our hotel, and we couldn't hear a thing there.  I also happened by 2 music stores and neither of them carried large sound systems, only small ones for small venues.  

There are a lot of indigenous danzantes that danz in the Ajijic plaza, especially on Oct. 31, the Virgin of the Rosary Fiesta, which has absolutely nothing to do with halloween.  Chiapas is Maya territory, so I doubt that they were the same danzantes, they don't exactly "go on the road".  There are tribal danzantes all over Mexico. They were also much younger than the groups that danz here in the fiestas; they all looked like young teens.  

A couple of Barios in San Cristobal are not Aztec because the Aztecs were enemies but were founded byNahuatl speaking  tribes. The Tlaxcalan and some Mexiques were allied to the Spaniards and enemies of the Aztecs and they came with the Spaniards to conquer the Mayas

The Tlaxcalan got the barrio called Tlaxcala and the Mexiques settled in the barrio known as Los Mexicanos. The women from the Ithmus of Oaxaca came to marry some of those lonely guys and they were settled in the barrio of San Diego.I the highlands in Chiapas many old towns have 3 names the Nahuatl name like Zinacantan, the Maya name like Sotzleb and the Spanish name like San Lorenzo Zinacantan.  Most towns are known by their Spanish and or Nahuatl names not their Maya names.

We have danzantes here like the ones in Ajijic. There is a whole lot more than the Mayas in Chiapas.The "Aztecs" danzantes do not need to go on the road, they live here. The Mayas do not do a procession and a dance like the danzantes from up north anyways.. They have their own customs but in the mestizo towns you can see the traditional Aztec danzantes

This said that was entertainment on the plazas but we have plenty of noisy bars as well. There is more than the plazas for night entertainment in San Cristobal.

Archived