Chapala.com Webboard

Cruise company drops popular Mexican resort town from itinerary due to growing violence

Hud

Thanks for the info. But we can find millions of headlines on the Web any time of day or night, right? I'd prefer to see some comments, as opposed to just pasting in a link. Otherwise we just become Reddit or FaceBook.

I agree ..... just a link is irritating

Interesting that I have been watching a Nat Geo series of a Brit who is working with the Mexican army. Acapulco was the first I saw and the military guy said almost all Mexican tourists because of the violence. No foreigners to be seen

Next in the series the army was cutting down Poppy fields in Guerrero

I am surprised that Acapulco was still on the list. It is a beautiful bay but who needs the headaches.. last time we went there everything went well but that was 3 years ago , I would not get out of my way to go through there or anywhere in Guerrero now.

The cruise lines pulled out of Zihuatanejo years ago.  Interestingly, they still get lots of US tourists that figure rightly, the chances of getting caught up in the violence is pretty minimal for them.  The tourists are isolated from much of it even as it occurs all around them.  My wife is from Zihua and I don't want any part of the place.  Last time she traveled there the bus was robbed at gunpoint in Michoacan.  I'm afraid that being married to a Mexican national, we both might be subject to kidnapping and extortion.  The word gets around when a native daughter is married to a "gringo" and that word arrives to the ears of the bad people as well and they see the opportunity. 

We even bought a lot next to Ixtapa years before the trouble with the intention of building a winter bungalow.  It will sit abandoned until thing change for the better in Mexico.

Typical hatchet job by Faux News. They edit/omit anything that doesn't promote their agenda,

including the following from the original article in The Sun,

"Although Carnival has dropped Acapulco from its itinerary, other cruise companies including  Norwegian Cruise Line Holding and

Silversea Cruises are continuing to operate in the area. A spokesperson for Acapulco Destination Marketing said: “Acapulco is ready

to receive 28 cruise ships, which have been confirmed for 2017, compared to 18 cruise ships during 2016, representing a 64 percent

increase for this upcoming season despite Holland America’s announcement about their route adjustment. 

“Therefore, meetings have been established with Holland America’s executives to present them with ongoing security advances at the port.”

Read it here:    https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3160805/cruise-company-drops-famous-mexican-resort-from-its-itinerary-because-of-growing-violence-in-the-region/

2 hours ago, puro guero said:

Typical hatchet job by Faux News. They edit/omit anything that doesn't promote their agenda,

including the following from the original article in The Sun,

"Although Carnival has dropped Acapulco from its itinerary, other cruise companies including  Norwegian Cruise Line Holding and

Silversea Cruises are continuing to operate in the area. A spokesperson for Acapulco Destination Marketing said: “Acapulco is ready

to receive 28 cruise ships, which have been confirmed for 2017, compared to 18 cruise ships during 2016, representing a 64 percent

increase for this upcoming season despite Holland America’s announcement about their route adjustment. 

“Therefore, meetings have been established with Holland America’s executives to present them with ongoing security advances at the port.”

Read it here:    https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3160805/cruise-company-drops-famous-mexican-resort-from-its-itinerary-because-of-growing-violence-in-the-region/

Of course, what would you expect from Fox "News".  Thanks for the balanced report.

Archived