Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy a steel for knife sharpening?

Lexy

Is it possible to buy a steel locally--that is, Lakeside--to sharpen kitchen knives?

I saw the recent thread on knife sharpening, but I didn't see any mention of local store to buy a steel. I hope there is one.

Lexy

Actually saw one at the "dollar store" by the Ajijic plaza yesterday just past the counter on the right by the kitchen gadgets. It came with a couple of knives - have no idea of quality or price though.

Sparks--Is a stone and steel similar? The same?  A steel, to me, looks like a narrow rod of steel maybe 12" to 15" long with a handle to grip on one end. Anyhow--I just want to spruce up my knives before my chef-niece gets here. Last visit she was scornful of my dull knives, and she was right. (We lost our good ones on the trip down here and never replaced them.)

Lexy

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

WU-4473.jpg

I never found any locally, so I ended up getting one at a fancy kitchen shop in Guad. It was overpriced and far too short, which meant I couldn't get a full swing on my butcher knives.

That's like the one I saw at the dollar store directly south of Ajijic plaza with a couple of knives included.

Mike is right. The difference is honing, versus sharpening. A honed blade is super sharp, and stays sharp. The problem today is that there many different angles for different types of knives and their applications. I have had my Lansky guided honing system for many years. It can handle 17, 20, 25 and 30 degree angles. Lansky also has a nice ceramic sharpener, which can be set at many angles. This is why hand sharpening is such an art, because you have to keep to an exact angle. The Lansky has a rod and a clamp which can keep the angles. Hone a Japanese sushi knife to 17 degrees and find out what sharp really means. If I had to buy a Lansky again, I would choose the diamond one with the extra hone for serrated knives.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Guided-Knife-Sharpening-Systems-C198.aspx

You can go on YouTube and see how it is really done.

A "steel" does not sharpen.  When you use a knife the edge tends to bend because it is so fine.  A "steel" simply straightens out the edge again so it cuts better.

Sharpening a knife actually removes metal and resets the angle.  

When I worked in a restaurant kitchen, a guy would come around about every 8 weeks and sharpen knives for $10 a knife.  He had a machine and they were sharp as razors.

Knives will stay sharp for months if properly handled.  Never put one in a dishwasher.  Wipe it down with a damp cloth, DRY it and wipe it down with a drop of olive oil and store it in its holder.  Never let the edge touch anything that you are not cutting.

There's a town about 40 miles south of here (Sayula?) that has a plant that manufactures some of the best knives I've ever seen and they are cheap.  Take her down there and turn her loose and she will go crazy.

Archived