Chapala.com Webboard

Refractory Cement/Mortar?

CHILLIN

The ferreteria and building materials store in Chapala across the street from the bus station (south side of the side street) used to carry it, along with the special high temp fireplace finishing bricks.

2300 degrees is way higher that the heat in chimneys..and mortar and bricks can melt at that temperature, I am currently involved in the building of a  smokeless Japanese kiln to fire ceramic at low temperature. The low temperature for glaze is 900 degrees celsius , at that temperature the base of the kiln goes up to 1300 degree celsius and the brick from Tapalpa start distorting themselves and most bricks we have encountered in Jalisco, Guanajuato and other states does not resist 1300 degrees celsius and start melting.

Most mortar does not make it for very long either. The regular bricks are between 2 and 3 pesos the refractario ladrillo are 80 peois a brick on up and we get a special mortar from Monterrey or Mexico 

Yes I may be confused with refractories I mess around with, based on Magnesium Cements. They are made in Mexico by the Grupo Bal http://www.bal.com.mx/english/industrial.htm- the Penoles division makes their refractory crucibles and ingot molds. They are the largest producer of refined silver in the  world. I foam the cement into a lightweight "ceramic' material, easily carved. But it is also interesting that it can take low temp glazes and metals like brass, bronze, aluminum. I now have the bilingual contacts to start buying, but to them I am like a flea on an elephant. If you remember, I was thinking making a variation of the Thai Bucket Stove, casting the ceramic inserts with foamed magnesium cement. The "Maya" bucket stove, I think this would sell very well, especially when sold with the outdoor wok. The Thai Bucket stove is heavy, and has problems in shipping with cracked ceramics. https://importfood.com/products/thai-cookware/item/tao-charcoal-burner-made-in-thailand

Archived