Chapala.com Webboard

Input on new dryer, please

hkrause

We have a Whirlpool dryer that's gone belly up. First repair place kept putting us off about repair, saying they couldn't get part. Switched to a different guy and he tells us the part needed will take 2 months to get and cost a bundle, so we're just going to get a different dryer.  Is Whirlpool typically difficult to get parts for here? Should we be looking at some other brand that is easier to repair if/when needed? Or did we just get unlucky with this particular repair?

Heather

Not sure many of us have gone through that many appliances of any brand to be knowledgeable. Who did you use? I use Gualberto Real of Refrigeracion Real, and they have never tried to outfox me, always doing excellent work.

That being said, there are lots of Whirlpools around, so logic says...

39 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Not sure many of us have gone through that many appliances of any brand to be knowledgeable. Who did you use? I use Gualberto Real of Refrigeracion Real, and they have never tried to outfox me, always doing excellent work.

That being said, there are lots of Whirlpools around, so logic says...

Thanks for the input. Yeah, dryers (the mechanical parts) should last a long time, but this is apparently a problem with the electrical timer... probably got zapped by a power fluctuation. We first tried Tio Sam to repair, but got tired of fiddling and waiting after a month, so we called Miguel Perales, who was recommended here on the board for work on Whirlpool. He was responsive, but said they didn't have a part for it in Guad, so it would have to come from elsewhere and would take many weeks to arrive. We had a problem with that dryer before (wrong config for gas, so it melted clothes!) and would like different features, so we're just going to get a different one. Wanted to check here for comments from anybody about brands (pro and con).

This rings a bell. I have a friend with a dryer (don't know the brand), but my guys said it was a very expensive part, and instead put in a mechanical timer that runs for 20 minutes. Total cost, just a few hundred pesos. So you have to go out and turn it on again if you need more than 20 min, but the cost savings obviated the need for all the hassle of new equipment.

Yes, thanks... we started with Tio Sam. They did come out and checked the unit. Said a part was bad and they had to order it from Guad. They keep telling us either: 1) the part isn't in yet,  2) they sent the wrong part,  3) they will call us back (but don't).  I agree this isn't like Tio Sam's, which we've heard good things about and had good experience with ourselves. The above went on for over 3 weeks and was very frustrating when they said they'd come over and/or call, but didn't, so we tried a second repair person. They also said the part wasn't available locally. Since they said it would take about 2 months to get the part, we just decided to call it quits... didn't want to be without a dryer for 3 months, then maybe find out later there was some other problem or would be further delays. We have very little space in our yard for a clothesline, and our HOA prohibits hanging laundry in visible areas, so being without a dryer is kind of tough! :D 

We are now past the question of repair and are looking to replace with a new dryer. Thanks for the comments on repair, but we don't even have the old unit any more... it's gone and we're shopping. We are wanting input on a NEW dryer. The ones we looked at briefly today (at Tio Sam's and Electro Ventana (sp?) in Riberas) seem to all be Whirlpool, Maytag and Mabe. I guess that Mabe is made in Mexico? Would that indicate lower quality? Better chance of surviving Mexican power fluctuations? Better chance of obtaining parts? We know nothing about Mabe... how does it compare to the other two brands? We're also going to check Costco and Home Depot in Guad for comparison. Thoughts on brands and/or vendors for purchasing a NEW (not previously owned) unit and getting it delivered/installed would be appreciated. 

Heather

When my Samsung washing machine needed a new motherboard, the repair guy said it would take a month to get in. I didn't hear back after a month, and when I called his shop, I was told it wasn't available "anywhere in Mexico". I then looked on Mercado Libre, found the exact motherboard I needed from a guy who has an appliance place in Mazatlan. He had a very clear photo of it, which I compared with mine, also ad a list of ll the machines it fits. Called and talked to him- he said they are new and in the original box. Deposited to his acct. through OXO, and Estefeta delivered it to my door 2 days later. I didn't even need to call the repairman back, just pulled the 5 or so push-in connectors, popped the new one in and voila! working washing machine.

So- get the repairman to remove the part that is bad, or find out what is is called and get the Whirlpool model # off the back of your dryer, and try your luck on Mercado Libre. These guys are just too lazy to try to search things out.

For most of the 21 years that I have lived in Mexico, I have had Mabe dryers. They have always been work horses and I've never experienced a problem with them. I tend to steer clear of ANY appliances with digital boards in them... just my preference for less aggravation.

Presently, I just purchased a used Whirlpool washer and dryer from Electroventa. The dryer had a small gas leak which Gualberto Real fixed. Those guys (father and son) are wonderful. Having checked the gas connections, I was pretty sure that the leak was inside the dryer. When I told them what I thought, they said that I was probably incorrect. Low and behold, the leak was inside and he told me that was the third time in twenty years that they had come across this. Came back the next day and installed the new part and everything is working just ticketyboo.

The main reason that I wanted the Whirlpool was because the dryer door opened down. Easier to load and unload for me. YMMV... but be sure that you get a dryer that has a door that opens in the correct direction or you will curse every single time that you do your laundry.

1 hour ago, geeser said:

Dryers are about <$450 USD. Costco has a good price on Maytag right now. Best Buy has a good selection and will provide service at Lakeside with their own techs.

Thanks, Geeser. Hadn't thought of Best Buy... online shows one on sale for under $7K. Appreciate the pointer.

Even though you are buying new, some other points will be of interest: one is an agreement with Ferret: avoid buying any appliance with a digital motherboard. Second is, again on Ferret's side, ElectroVenta sells good used equipment that is guaranteed for six months. However, their repair service has gone completely down the drain in the last couple of years.

Finally, much like the local car mechanics, no one really likes going into Guad anymore to find parts, and so they just don't bother. I needed a screen replaced in my dryer... and it turned up, much to my surprise... but two months later. And only because this particular guy had to go into Guad to get something else.

Thanks. Yes, I understand about the electronics. We had a Maytag washer once that had the circuit board go out at least 3 times before we gave up on it and trashed the thing. It was under recall, but not the one we bought by just a couple months. Especially true on dryers, where we don't need many options... Looking for the cheapest model that seems reliable. Thanks for the comments, folks. 

Archived