Chapala.com Webboard

Internet provider options

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes. A search on this board will bring several recent and well-populated threads about cellular data. Otherwise, not really.

So only cellular data can get us faster internet? Do you know if MegaCable is available to us in the lakeside Las Redes area? We're close to the malecon. 

I was also wondering if you knew anything about fiber optics coming to the area? Thanks.

Again, there are many recent threads on TeleCable. Fiber optics is a different story: it has appeared on the outskirts of Chapala, and no where else lakeside that I can vouch for, although rumours abound.

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Again, there are many recent threads on TeleCable. Fiber optics is a different story: it has appeared on the outskirts of Chapala, and no where else lakeside that I can vouch for, although rumours abound.

We have both TeleCable and Telmex. TeleCable is okay when it works but very unreliable, dropping frequently. Telmex is usually stable and lower speed but recently Telmex has also been very unreliable and dropping frequently. So that is why I ask if you know of MegaCable, because I know GDL has it and it is fast but I'm not sure if it's available lakeside.

And Izzi, once called Telecable only cancelled the English channels on their old fashioned analog channels. There are plenty of English channels on their more modern digital packages like CNN, CNNI, BBC, FOX news, NFL channel and on and on. Sadly they do not have ABC, CBS, or NBC.

For people havng both Telmex and Telecable there is software that will merge 2 ISP's and combine their bandwidth.  It is not the typical OR situation where the best channel is chosen but an AND bandwidth addition.  On WIN 7 I have been using Connectify/Hotspot which is a purchase but also available on Torrents with a crack.  My setup uses Telecable for the ethernet cable input and Telmex for wireless.  Not available for Linux, don't know about Apple.

The software has a graph that shows the bandwidth combination.  The combination is not linear since the software has overhead.  In Chula Vista I get 6MB Telecable and 4 MB Telmex.  The combination is about 8+MB.  This tends to damp out Telecable dropouts since 1 of the 2 sources tends to keep going.

Archived