Chapala.com Webboard

Miracle in Chapala Haciendas

3 hours ago, Tingting said:

That really is wonderful.  Congratulations!  

May I ask your approximate location in CH?  Phone-line based xDSL has a theoretical range of only about 5.5km., depending on the thickness of the copper wiring used, so all of CH should benefit, but the speeds available in the nether reaches of the fracc might not be so brisk. 

31 minutes ago, utilitus said:

That really is wonderful.  Congratulations!  

May I ask your approximate location in CH?  Phone-line based xDSL has a theoretical range of only about 5.5km., depending on the thickness of the copper wiring used, so all of CH should benefit, but the speeds available in the nether reaches of the fracc might not be so brisk. 

Sure...we're on Ruisenor, not that far from the office. They recently switched the modems on us and the speed doubled (to around 1.5-big whoop). For a lark, today I ran the speedtest and had to do it again because I just didn't believe it. Whoo hoo!:rolleyes:

We have new telephone lines in my part of Chapala Haciendas near the highway. Soon I hear we will have a 2nd direct cable hub from Tel Mex like at Entrance # 1.

15 years ago we only had dial up internet and it was extremely slow would lose connection regularly. I finally installed a satellite system. Up loading was still slow, but download improved significantly.

Tu amigo, Sid

What amazes me about your great results are your upload speeds.  They are about 1/10 of your download speeds I'm getting 8 down by 0.47 up

It's even worse when I look at the modem settings given to me by Telmex. They are

(ascendente/descendente) [kbps/mbps]:

Or almost 20 to 1

638 / 12.542

johanson is remembered as the fine person who used to sit outside Rod's office at Laguna Net and who helped many of us with our dial up internet some 15 years ago. Thank you and job well done!

Those were the good old days where I thought dial up was super fast. Lagunanet was the first internet service provider lakeside. He started up in about May of 1997 offering only dialup and I started giving tech support there maybe in 2001 or so

It is amazing how things change. Apparently Lagunanet still exists in Joco. Apparently Rod still has one wireless antenna working next to his home in Joco and folks can still get WiFi via external antennas there,

When we moved here in 2005 we also only had dial up , even in the Brisas De Chapala

for the first year or so only dial up. The when we moved to Ixtlahuacan De Los Membrillos

just over the hill on highway to Guad, we were shocked to now have actual high speed

but the highest ever achieved was a little above 1.0 mb . Did the speedtest.net thingy and usually

.76 or so but that is more than 10 times faster than dial up. Just this last 8 months or so I am using a line of sight

using about a 1 foot dish and at times the speed has been over 20mb ps or mabybe per minute. All I know is it has

given me a lot more access to torrent sites and live streaming. So much free downloadable movies TV and music too.

300 pesos a month. Hope the guy is able to keep it running smooth but so far so good. I wonder how many more years till Tel Mex upgrades

the line in our frac so we could use their more stable service,but until that happens this is doing great for me.

Rod at Lagunanet put up an antenna at his office in Ajijic maybe in 2004? If you had line of sight to his antenna he would hook you up with a receiver and you could then ditch dial up. Worked pretty good for us before Telmex.

Sure, but you paid for it and subscribed to it. I'm not sure this person is talking about the same thing, because for one thing, Rod wasn't in that area, and for another, I don't understand, lol. What "line of sight" barrisroom?

=sigh=   Yes, guys, I know what line of sight is. What I am looking for from the poster is what line of sight is he talking about? Line of sight to what tower/service? He uses a dish to get this; that is not a typical occurrence (except for satellite Internet). And it raises a lot of interesting questions.

I thought I would check mine at office in Guad and another miracle

6159342935.png

• 2 weeks later...

Since this topic came up again on another posting, I thought I'd add one last comment:  we're still getting over 10 on the download. I'm almost scared to believe it in case it disappears! Whatever, I can now watch Netflix without $%^&*( buffering, etc. Whoo hoo!

I know there are a buncha happy people in Ch. Haciendas and Brisas these days, but still a bunch of not-so-happy... yesterday at one home the speedtest wouldn't even register a 1.0. I wonder if it is the same for everyone as you get further from the highway; this was Pajaro del Fuego.

21 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I know there are a buncha happy people in Ch. Haciendas and Brisas these days, but still a bunch of not-so-happy... yesterday at one home the speedtest wouldn't even register a 1.0. I wonder if it is the same for everyone as you get further from the highway; this was Pajaro del Fuego.

As a house-hunter interested in CH (among other neighborhoods) who requires decent net speed and reliability, I took the trouble to use Google Maps at street level to trace phone lines on poles into CH,  This is an entirely naive amatuer exercise, but easy to do, and interesting.  

Three lines were easy to find:  One each at the two CH front gates, both suspended over Lib23, and another apparently running along Codoneces from the south-east.  As I noted two weeks ago in this thread (above), again without any actual expertise, normal xDSL topologies should have sufficient range such that if a neighbor a mile away has 10Mbs, a user should get at least a third of that, even over a serpentine phone line route, if it's on the same phone line 'circuit' (my term).  

It may be that Tingting (above) on Ruisenor is on a CH2 circuit (perhaps benefiting from new, faster net service to the substantial new construction across Lib23, quite near the phone line into CH2) just as mhopkins2 (above) may be on that same circuit even though he is in CH1 but near Lib23.  A user on Pajaro del Fuego might be on the CH1 circuit which might not benefit from the new capacity if it terminates near the new construction.  Of course, in the states anyway,  xDSL line cards are in telco facilities which are the 'business end' of the system, and there may be little relationship between the local Telmex topologies and this toy analysis.

Thanks to CG especially for his continuing interest in and reportage about net service Lakeside. For myself, I have foregone interesting properties because of inadequate net service, even though bandwidth will almost certainly improve almost everywhere over time.  Does anyone know a source for information about net service just east of Joco, especially Las Fuentes?  

Thanks, and may we each exalt with a hearty "Whoo hoo" in turn.

2 hours ago, utilitus said:

Does anyone know a source for information about net service just east of Joco, especially Las Fuentes?

Try contacting Joco on this board, she lives in Jocotepec , is very computer literate and knows a lot about surrounding areas there.

23 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Try contacting Joco on this board, she lives in Jocotepec , is very computer literate and knows a lot about surrounding areas there.

In Joco it may be fine. I can only tell you that in Las Fuentes and also in Rancho Alegre (which is just east of Las Fuentes), that the only decent internet they had was with Rod. Rancho Alegre service now sucks and Las Fuentes may suck soon since Rod is retiring. YMMV.

Archived