Chapala.com Webboard

David Rockefeller

Died at 101. NOT that this is of specific interest to any of us. BUT...I have not planned to live to this age. I am 72 and in good health. Atho I am sure Mr. R's physician's are exemplary and may have prolonged his natural life. But 30 years more??? Guess I better get back in the water and devote myself to good deeds or something else meaningful. Alas, what is the meaning of life to us old farts?

Actually, I am reading a book right now about Ayurvedic medicine, healing and life balance. This is an ancient medical practise from India, many thousands of years old. One of their beliefs is that humans should live to 100 years old, if they find life balance, healthy foods, and intellectual stimulation. I also remember discussing this topic with an insurance actuary (they provide life expectancy information to insurance companies - sort of like high class bookies!). He said that too much attention is on "average" life expectancy, taken over a lifetime. This was quite a few years ago, but he said that if a woman managed to survive to 70, without any catastrophic medical events, she would be likely to live into her early 100's.

So Jaybear - hang on for the ride!

If you are interested, the book is called "The Simple Healing Cleanse" by Kimberly Larson. It is a misleading title, because it is mostly about Ayurvedic medicine, written in a plain, interesting style.

Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper`s (CNN commentator) mom, is 92 and going strong.  So, it`s either ayurvedic medicine, genes or lots of money.

Life expectancy has been growing at about 1 month per year sine the 1940s.  People born today can reasonably expect to live int their 90s or 100s

I always love listening to the old farts that are 100+.  They always say something like "The doctors tell me not to do ..........., but I do.  The doctors die and I live on"

3 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Someone recently said with improvements in science we can live to 120 - I said count me out, I can't take that much more of this. PS: there's a reason we don't live twice, it's too darn expensive.

I don't know about 120, but I wouldn't mind sticking around for another decade or so just out of curiousity.  I have a feeling I'm living in "interesting times", even though the Chinese believe that to be a sort of curse.

I hope people don't find this boring, but this two paragraphs from the book about "Longevity"

According to Ayurveda, the body is the vehicle for our energy, our minds, and even our souls. It is difficult to focus on anything else when the body is sick or experiencing pain. Like a wounded animal that instinctively hides to protect itself, we seek shelter when we are sick by turning inward to focus our energy on healing. If the body is not sound, there is little energy available for learning, creativity, growth, or transformation. Imbalance and illness limit our ability to expand our lives beyond our own immediate physical needs, and this limitation prohibits expansion of our minds, hearts, and spirits.
Longevity is one of Ayurveda’s primary aims, so people have a lifetime of opportunity to develop a spiritual practice that takes them beyond the physical existence of the body. Ayurveda’s goal is one hundred healthy years for each person. For many this goal may sound unrealistic, because many people now reach their eighties, nineties, or are even older, but most are not healthy. This does not need to be the case.
The process of aging is universal; we will all pass on from this life one day and most of us will grow old first. But the symptoms of “aging” have more to do with the relative state of balance in the body than with physical age. Dan Buettner, in collaboration with National Geographic and the National Institute on Aging, studied areas of the world where centenarians are common. In the book Blue Zones: 9 Lessons For Living Longer from the People Who’ve Lived the Longest, he reported the common threads in communities where people live to age one hundred at a rate ten times greater than the global average, where life expectancy is typically twelve years longer than the worldwide average, and where the rate of middle-age mortality is a fraction of that in other places. He found diet and lifestyle factors to be the most substantial differences.
Genetics does play a role in the rate at which one’s body shows signs of aging—some people have gray hair at age twenty, while others have a full head of dark hair at eighty—but it is not the only factor. The degenerative symptoms and diseases typically associated with old age can occur at a young age if the body is severely imbalanced. For example, arthritis of the hands is commonly seen in the elderly, but it could also manifest in a young person who uses his or her hands in a repetitive and excessive way, as a welder does. According to Ayurveda, the reverse is also true: The body can remain soft, supple, and flexible into old age when people perform proper self-care and maintenance throughout their lives.

12 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Living to 100 would be its own punishment for wanting to do so. Give me a high bridge and a stool to get over the railing if I approach 80.

when my aunt ginny turned 95, she said she hid the birthday card with the big 95th on it cuz she didn't want her fellow residents to know how old she was as she still has mostly brown hair. i told her that she shouldn't do that,but should crow about it. so often people have no experience with very old adults that are healthy, both physically and mentally. then they adopt attitudes like mark here. aunt ginny will be 98 this year. my mom died last year at almost 95 ,a crack bridge player with a social schedule that would kill me, and no medications except for high blood pressure medicine--they didn't check for an aortic anuerism,which is what got her. she had 2 cousins attend her funeral, aged 93 and 97. all bacon eaters....i myself am looking forward to 30 more interesting years.

Stupid joke.

A woman in a small town turns 100, the local news crew decides to cover it, live news.

The announcer asks he "So what is your great secret?"

She replies "I once traded sexual favours with a Nazi officer in exchange for enough food to keep me alive."

The stunned announcer says, "I mean't your health, your health." aawwkward!

9 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Stupid joke.

A woman in a small town turns 100, the local news crew decides to cover it, live news.

The announcer asks he "So what is your great secret?"

She replies "I once traded sexual favours with a Nazi officer in exchange for enough food to keep me alive."

The stunned announcer says, "I mean't your health, your health." aawwkward!

Ha Ha. Probably she wouldn't have been there for the interview if she hadn't done that don't you think?

I have a friend here, a village elder whom I have a lovely connection with.  She is 100 years old, the same age my parents would be if they were still alive.  She lives with one younger relative, I guess she has many descendants here - 10 children, 3 of whom already died, and lots of grandchildren and great greats.  She goes to Mass twice a day (lives near the church) and walks a few blocks a day with a cane.  She is always very cheerful (except for when her son died) and affectionate towards me.  

She told me she has never been sick and walks standing straight up with good posture.  She is an amazing lady, always positive.  She remembers the Cristero days here. I always tell her she is the queen of Ajijic for all her years and she always tells me about her daughters who were fiestas patrias beauty queens.  She has mentioned to me that her grandchildren don't visit her enough, but when I mentioned this to one of her granddaughters, she said, "Well, she's always at church."

• 2 weeks later...

As for David Rockefeller, after 7 heart transplants, I reckon it's time he packed it in!  He'd never have made it this long if not for his private apartment at Area 51 (Groom Lake).

Amazing what high-tech upgrades are available if you have the cash to throw...

a total shit of a person, tho.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, MarkWebles said:

Living to 100 would be its own punishment for wanting to do so. Give me a high bridge and a stool to get over the railing if I approach 80.

You won`t say that when you`re 79!  80 isn`t that old any longer.

8 hours ago, bdmowers said:

You won`t say that when you`re 79!  80 isn`t that old any longer.

My mom is 79 and my dad is 78. Other than a little bit of stiffness, they are the same as at age 50. My mother is quite "pudgy" but she does yoga and can do all sorts of positions that put me to shame--when we were out to dinner one night, while waiting for a table in the lobby, she took me up on a bet and did Downward Dog right then and there. My dad (even pudgier) plays golf 5 times a week and always walks. He also mows his lawn with a push mower. Other than high blood pressure, both have zero medical issues. And their clarity of thought is intact.

My guess is that they will continue into their 90's.

Less than six months before I make it to 80, and there is no water under the bridges here in Tucson.  What should I do now?  I can‘t mow the lawn either, as it is all gravel and cactus.

Archived