Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for recommendations for a new oven

My old oven is giving me fits. :angry: The burners on the stove top all work well enough, but the oven has become a real challenge. The main problem is that the oven will NOT maintain a steady temperature, and the temperature that I set it on the dial bares no resemblance to the actual temperature of the oven. So I have to keep moving the dial up and down, a real pain. There also appears to be very little insulation around the oven, so a LOT of the heat "leaks" out into the adjacent cabinets, up through the stove top (other than the vent), and into the cocina. And therefore, if I open the door it takes a long time for the temperature to go back up.

Yes, I COULD perhaps fix the dial problem with a new thermostat, and after I see the price of a new oven I just might try that first. ;) However, this oven is almost 10 years old, and I would really like to get a new one with updated features and more insulation to prevent heat loss.

Has anyone purchased an oven RECENTLY from Tio Sam's (or elsewhere) that you are just IN LOVE with? If so, please give me the brand and model number. 

Gracias

3 minutes ago, mexicomoose said:

My old oven is giving me fits. :angry: The burners on the stove top all work well enough, but the oven has become a real challenge. The main problem is that the oven will NOT maintain a steady temperature, and the temperature that I set it on the dial bares no resemblance to the actual temperature of the oven. So I have to keep moving the dial up and down, a real pain. There also appears to be very little insulation around the oven, so a LOT of the heat "leaks" out into the adjacent cabinets, up through the stove top (other than the vent), and into the cocina. And therefore, if I open the door it takes a long time for the temperature to go back up.

Yes, I COULD perhaps fix the dial problem with a new thermostat, and after I see the price of a new oven I just might try that first. ;) However, this oven is almost 10 years old, and I would really like to get a new one with updated features and more insulation to prevent heat loss.

Has anyone purchased an oven RECENTLY from Tio Sam's (or elsewhere) that you are just IN LOVE with? If so, please give me the brand and model number. 

Gracias

I purchased four months ago a Mabe IO 800 from Tio Sams. Very satisfied. Oven maintains the set temperature.

We were very happy with our Mabe for over 10 years.  It was a model with a glass oven door, two oven racks, a broiler below and six burners with a heavy cast comal. It also had a child-safety shut-off, which I eliminated myself for our convenience.  It maintained temperatures just fine and one of the top burners was even thermostatically controld; a feature we did not use, however. It did have an electric clock and timer as well. Usually, those better models are not easily found & may have to be ordered, or found in better stores in Guadalajara. We got lucky at a grand opening of a new Walmart, when they wanted some better models at the Guadalajara location.

Mabe also makes Easy, GE & other brands.

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Go to Tio Sams and have them order a GE Monogram dual fuel range. Very insulated electric ovens and gas cooktop. Takes 220v service.

Tomgates, that sounds like EXACTLY what I am looking for! I have a friend who brought a duel-fuel range from Canada and they love it. I was reluctant to go that route because my CFE bills are already in the dreaded DAC zone. However, I'm getting ready to install a 10-panel solar system, so that should keep me under DAC, even with an electric oven. I don't use the oven all that often, but when I do use it I want it to WORK! :rolleyes: Thanks much!!  

3 hours ago, tomgates said:

Go to Tio Sams and have them order a GE Monogram dual fuel range. Very insulated electric ovens and gas cooktop. Takes 220v service.

We went there last year and that model was not available in Mexico! The only one they could get was the commercial model and cost $7500IS/  We imported a Monogram  ourselves.  Very satisfied with it.

I have a Whirlpool Blue Flame that is probably eight years old. It is great because of one great thing: I can change the burner jet sizes. So I have one that is really small with low, low heat for simmering; one that is really big for wokking and Texas frypan stuff, like shallow-frying french fries and battered chicken.

But, it has been my experience (and the heat does not leak) that every oven I've tried is 25-50 degrees off all the time.

Ideally I would look for a range with a detented and accurate temperature knob and I guess properly stabilized temp. Anything under $7,000p is not going to be good enough.

However, I use it really only for the stovetop (except turkey at Xmas). I use my digital toaster oven from Breville for everything that requires an oven, as it is extremely accurate. It only goes to 500 F, although I rarely need anything higher (pizza temps would be great).

Archived