Chapala.com Webboard

HIGHWAY BACK UP

Just another puente. We can thank the local Presidente for his over-zealous approach to attracting tourists: spending every last centavo on concrete infrastructure and advertising, while letting the actual villages go to rack and ruin. It will only get worse. Sadly, the vast majority bring their own food, or stock up at the 7/11 and Oxxo, and only a very few local businesses and restaurants see any uptick in sales. And we are left with the fast-food wrappers and bottles littering our lands.

More absurdism via Chapala.com.

A national holiday / three-day weekend that started Friday-ish ending this Monday-ish. Celebrating Benito Juarez birthday (look at the 20 peso bill in your wallet, lakeside7).

Yes, traffic has been awful, but not just today. Restaurants have been busy all weekend.

it took me 1/2 hour to get from riberas to the cyber in ajjifreak today. trinidad copy center was closed. INSANE. i have sworn off ajjifreak for everything from soup to nuts. the insanity of driving and navigating to and from puts me right over the top.it's nothing more than a filthy, congested little village that is slated for pueblo magico. now THAT'S absurd.

7 hours ago, virgogirl said:

it took me 1/2 hour to get from riberas to the cyber in ajjifreak today. trinidad copy center was closed. INSANE. i have sworn off ajjifreak for everything from soup to nuts. the insanity of driving and navigating to and from puts me right over the top.it's nothing more than a filthy, congested little village that is slated for pueblo magico. now THAT'S absurd.

Hmm.  Have you tried getting through San Juan Cosala on a weekend when the restaurant strip is humming?  How about the half mile long backups that occur regularly on Hildalgo from the traffic light in the center of Chapala, stretching back west to the edge of town?

How clean would all of our villages be if we had the services here we did just a few years back when, BTW, taxes were a lot lower?  How clean would they be if we did't have so many weekend visitors who seem to have no idea what a trash can is for?

Since Monday was a holiday I would have thought it prudent to try and check first with the copy center before trying to go there when this area was full of three day weekenders.  We find it a great stress saver to apply a little scheduling sense and do our shopping and other errands when the Tapatios aren't here.  

Like it or not, the Tapatios have returned to this entire area in force and one either learns to live with it or one probably needs to relocate.  I suspect neither the Tapatio flood nor the totally inadequate and incompetent response of local and state government to it is going to change.  Better get used to it.

You're obviously very frustrated by the changes.  For us, they are a two edged sword.  One now has to plan around holiday times and put up with traffic year round but on the other hand so much more is available here than was the case just 8 short years ago.

8 hours ago, virgogirl said:

don't understand your diatribe against ajijic, who is the victim of this mismanagement. seems to us that you are part of he very problem that you are railing against. we buy locally and either walk or take a bus. sure, it takes more time and effort,to arrange your life to live like this,but then again we aren't swearing on the carretera either. we do agree on the absurdity of the quest for pueblo magico "status". its the old ploy to sell out our soverenity to a group far away for a few cans of paint and some advertizing so they can tell us to get rid of our artists/vendors to make this place safe for the corporations...

10 hours ago, virgogirl said:

It seems to me YOU are part of the problem.. Could you not have walked ..?  Then it would have been one less vehicle contributing to the grid lock.

Are you all leaving soon?

I didn‘t think so, since you still write home that you are “living in paradise“.

Wish we were still there !!!!!

But.......we did have two cars!

I agree with Mainecoons and RVGringo.  Complaining because of heavy traffic and closures on a holiday weekend?  You should have known that it was a holiday, therefore many businesses would be closed.  Some friends and I got together, sat on their terrace, and watched the gridlock on the carreterra in West Ajijic on Sunday night and again on Monday!  Had a great time, because we knew that we didn't have to go out into that!  Plan accordingly!

28 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

So if I complain about traffic, or the government, or the lousy food at a local restaurant... back home in Canada... I have to leave?

No, but why would you stay; why are you here?  It's your choice!

There's no need to get personal here.  The reality is that this area has become a big time weekend spot for GDL's growing middle class and most of them bring their cars and make things very busy, particularly on three day weekends.  The history of the area was that it was a big Tapatio recreational area and it certainly appears that it is returning to its "roots" at this point.

The advantage of living in any of the centros, particularly Chapala or Ajijic, is that we can walk to most all the usual services or tiendas we need.  This is not a great place to be car dependent IMO, it never really was and that was a big part of our personal choice in where to locate.  However, if one does rely on the car more a little planning goes a long way.  Best time to do anything via car is first thing in the morning on weekdays that are not also holidays.  We find we can usually get around well on most weekends by going out first thing on Saturday.

For us, on balance, the plusses of local growth outweigh the minuses but I can certainly understand why others might not agree.  The change has been very rapid and maybe a bit unnerving simply because of the pace.

12 hours ago, virgogirl said:

Maybe it's time to relocate for you....or take a chill pill

I don't think it is so much that Virgogirl complained but with how much bitterness she complained and how generalized her anger was. Maybe she was just having a bad day. However, to say it is INSANE that a business would be closed on a major holiday, part of a three day weekend, shows a lack of cultural understanding and a sense of entitlement that rubbed some people the wrong way. I live in Chapala and avoid going to Ajijic whenever I can due to even ordinary traffic and parking issues. However, calling the place many people live in and love "Ajjifreak" and "filthy" was unnessary and rude. You reap what you sow.

I totally forgot that it was a national holiday celebrating Benito Juarez's birthday and couldn't figure out why those long lines on traffic. But feliz cumpleanos BJ. You're my favorite presidente.

Lexy

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

. I fail to understand the personal attacks. 

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes, I can see how one less vehicle would substantially have improved the situation.

And this is from the master of snide remarks..

I have recently sworn off Ajijic in general. not my bag. Love Riberas, San Antonio and Chapala is where I do most of my business. I HAD to get to cyber as finals had to be calculated and I don't have Exel. Not that I owe anyone an explanation. The best way i can respect the place is to largely stay clean out of there for the most part. Some of us still work for a living and a report had a deadline that I had no where else that I knew of to complete and send. I did not have all day to walk there and back from Riberas as I also teach every day in the neighborhood.  Ya, so I gave ya all an ugly expression of my frustration.However, don't think I'm the lone stranger in that dept. on this board. 

Wow all this over a holiday and traffic jam...maybe we cane go back to 18 plus years ago when we had nothing here.  This is the cost of being a tourist area and Tapatios and foreigners living and or visiting here.  Personally I liked it better when they had the holidays on the actual day and did not follow USA suite by doing long weekends ( puentes) but I do make certain to know when they are and I stay home. 

We al have bad days..the traffic is bad on the carretera so why all the attacks , so a poster vented..chill, chill.  You could be driving in snow..:)

Archived