Chapala.com Webboard

botete - monkfish

windstar

I have eaten botete from Pacifico Fish Store in Ajijic.   Never have I heard of Monkfish referenced as Botete.  You are right, Botete is the deadly Puffer.  What they told me botete was was some harmless fish that I've long forgotten but will never buy.   Don't want to be Dead Right.  The classic joke in Mexico is that if you walk down the beach and approach five different groups of fishermen who have all caught the same species of fish, and you ask each of them for the species name, you will go home with five different names.

On 3/16/2017 at 8:55 AM, el bartman said:

I have eaten botete from Pacifico Fish Store in Ajijic.   Never have I heard of Monkfish referenced as Botete.  You are right, Botete is the deadly Puffer.  What they told me botete was was some harmless fish that I've long forgotten but will never buy.   Don't want to be Dead Right.  The classic joke in Mexico is that if you walk down the beach and approach five different groups of fishermen who have all caught the same species of fish, and you ask each of them for the species name, you will go home with five different names.

The same thing happens when asking directions of 5 different people.

We were given puffer fish to try by a friend in Sonora,  who sold fish  - he told us that the locals liked it and anytime he recommended something to us, it was always good.  We plucked up our courage, figuring he didn't want to lose our business in the future, ate it and it was delicious.  However, it was the only time we tried it!

I would hope there is more than one type of puffer fish. The ones the Japanese prepare takes an expert who know how to drain the blood. The poison of that fish does not eliminate from our system and will kill you so I do not see the Mexicans selling it and eating it freely.

The Bullseye Puffer is being farmed in aquaculture in Jalisco and in Sonora by the Institute of Aquaculture and Fisheries of the State of Jalisco (IAPEJ) y el IRTA and by the Technology Development Center of Marine Species (CEDETEM), which is located in the Municipality of Tomatlán in the State of Jalisco.

Article here

On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, Joyfull said:

Just ate Monkfish at Tabarka's a few minutes ago. Delicious. If I get sick or die I will let you know:rolleyes:

So you have already set up internet in both places in case you do die so you can email us all to let us know? Oh and what are they charging you and what kind of hi speed is available, I bet the lower place only has dial-up.

Just back from Pacifico the fish store.  They call monkfish botete.  No if's an's or but's about it.  Also a couple of other names..  We have been eating lots of monkfish since Tabarka first opened their doors in Ajijic.   Still kickin'.   I seem to recall it was called 'the poor man's lobster'.

6 hours ago, El Saltos said:

David serves Monkfish, not botete!

Makes me wonder as Monkfish is a north atlantic speci not easy to get fresh in Mexico.   It can be imported to Mexico but would be called Rape.   I tend to think that Tabarka is selling what he is told is monkfish.  It appears that the texture & flavor might be similar.  In any case I am quite comfortable eating Botete, absolutely delicious.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, windstar said:

Makes me wonder as Monkfish is a north atlantic speci not easy to get fresh in Mexico.   It can be imported to Mexico but would be called Rape.   I tend to think that Tabarka is selling what he is told is monkfish.  It appears that the texture & flavor might be similar.  In any case I am quite comfortable eating Botete, absolutely delicious.

I have no information on what is actually being sold here, but there is a species of monkfish, Lophiodes caulinaris, which inhabits shallow waters of the eastern Pacific from the Gulf of California south. So it's entirely feasible -- if not certain -- that monkfish is actually monkfish, locally. They do have a distinctive shape, so if one saw the whole fish, one could theoretically verify ...

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=S3NmjXkK5GoC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=lophiidae+eastern+pacific&source=bl&ots=BrDwp-6yX4&sig=FtfY3VHy0QGyXfBDB5z0A9OAouU&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=lophiidae eastern pacific&f=false

My parents grew up in Miami, FL.  As a young poor married couple they ate lots of puffer fish.  My dad caught and cleaned them and my mom cooked them. They said it was delicious.  Then an article came out in the Miami Herald about the blowfish having a sack inside that if punctured when cleaned it would poison the fish meat with a deadly toxin that would kill you.  They never ate another one.

Archived