Chapala.com Webboard

Flying Volaris what paperwork is needed for my dog and cat

We are moving to Lake Chapala in June and bringing our dog ( 6lbs. Shih Poo, 5yrs. old ,excellent health) and our cat ( 11 lbs. , 10 yrs old, excellent health).

Has anyone, recently, flown Volaris and know what documentation we need? I have read a 100 different things, all saying different things.

Would love to hear from someone who has "lived" it.

This website will tell you what you need. Make sure your vet follows everything perfectly. Dates are important, he must put his medical # and anything else that is asked. GDL is very, very picky. It takes about 45-1 hour to clear them. Bring their shot records as well as any other papers you have. Last time we flew in with our little guy (in the cabin) we had only been in the U.S. for 4 days...we live here full time. They hassled us at GDL. Ended up doing an "exam" in the back room. Flea comb, flashlight, stethoscope and a thermometer. No Way was I going to let an u trained Customs Officer stick a thermometer up my little dogs butt. We no longer fly with our dogs. We drove to San Diego for Christmas so we could take the dogs without a hassle. 

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Mexico.cfm

When I ask the vets here why GDL is so difficult they just shrug their shoulders. 

I suggest you have the name and phone number of a local vet to come to the airport should you have any problem. I am honestly not trying to scare you, but be prepared. If you get the big heavy guy in Customs look out. The woman is much nicer.

Wow, you did not scare me, I appreciate the information. However, I am getting so discouraged about making this move. Everything is so negative and I know you were just being honest. Nothing seems to be easy or without a major ordeal. Thank you.

If you haven't, read Volaris's pet page.  And since websites can be out-of-date, I suggest calling Volaris before booking the tickets (ask for English speaker if you need one).  

I have flown Volaris but not with animals.  My guess is their agents will inspect your pet's paperwork before allowing you to board. 

https://cms.volaris.com/en/useful-information/optional-services/package-deals-for-your-flight/pet-on-board/

Archived