Chapala.com Webboard

Clear Sellador/Sealer For Roof Top Patio/Mirador?

I've brought this up before here but can not find the old posts in the archive.

I'm arriving in Joco in a couple weeks and am facing another attempt at resealing my roof patio mirador made of clay tile.  This will be my second attempt.  Someone here had recommended Sellacril which is 100% acrylic from Home Depot which I used a couple of years ago.  After a meticulous preparation of sanding, cleaning and a final wipe down with lacquer thinner during the driest month, the junk peeled off in sheets after 2 weeks.  Mudgirl recommended a product called Wizmar but I'm doubting that it will work for me.  It is a mixture of waxes and other water repellants which absorbs into the tile making it repel water.  I don't think it will SEAL fine cracks in the grout to prevent water getting in under the tile.  I need some kind of CLEAR sealer that leaves an impermeable layer over the tile to seal out water especially in the fine cracks in the grout.  Someone had suggested a 2 part epoxy type sealer but did not have a brand name for it.  Others recommended polyurethane based sealers, again no names.  Can anyone provide me with brand names and ideas on where to find them Lakeside?  

I'd also greatly appreciate recommendations on Mexican roofing experts that I could contact when I arrive?

House is becoming damp and humid.  I fear it has been absorbing water like a sponge.  My first priority when I get back.

Thank you for any suggestions and recommendations!

pm

Suggest you look into a torch/roll down roof....We had one in Mazatlan and it was still going strong after 15yrs..no problems.  It comes in a roll about 1 meter wide and looks like shingle material.  Worth the little added expense.

Fester has a clear matte sellador. 100% Silicon Based $650mxp 5 litre can. Very watery so it absorbs into the clay tiles very quickly. After 2weeks, the small amounts of rain are beading up immediately. We used it on flat sq tiles on our buttress wall caps & on concrete steps, tops & fronts. So far very effective. Only time will tell?

Thank you very much for the recommendations.

I understand that the absorbent type products like the silicones and waxes will protect tiles themselves.  But what about the hairline cracks that form in the gout or around each tile?  The silicones won't build up and fill these cracks, just absorb into the materials around them so the water will work it's way down through into the construction under the tile.  That's why I'm looking for a product that hardens into an impermeable film that would fill and seal small cracks crating a barrier.

If anyone has anymore ideas…….?

I don't think I understand your tiles.   I have used red clay overlapping tiles, which is what I thought you were talking about, over the years but they never had grout around them.  As long as the underlying supports are straight and the pitch reasonable never had a leaking problem.   With the tiles I'm talking about I've found them to be of variable quality and the cheap ones are just that.   These removable tiles I have had removed, cleaned and sealed such as mkshawn has suggested.

Is your roof flat or at an angle? I'm guessing that it is flat and that you walk on it. If so there is only one solution.

4 hours ago, el bartman said:

I don't think I understand your tiles.   I have used red clay overlapping tiles, which is what I thought you were talking about, over the years but they never had grout around them.  As long as the underlying supports are straight and the pitch reasonable never had a leaking problem.   With the tiles I'm talking about I've found them to be of variable quality and the cheap ones are just that.   These removable tiles I have had removed, cleaned and sealed such as mkshawn has suggested.

Ah, I guess I was not very clear about that.  My roof top patio Mirador is flat and has a walking surface of flat square clay tiles approx. 1 foot square.  There are a couple of drains on the roof with imperceptible gradual slopes so water flows toward drains.  These clay tiles are grouted together but have developed tiny cracks around some of the tiles which water is getting into I'm sure.  Therefor I need an impermeable sealer that will fill these cracks as well as seal the tile from water absorption.  The silicone products will absorb and make the materials water repellant but will not seal/fill tiny cracks which allow water to get under tile and absorb into the construction.  I think I have a photo that I'll try to post here.  I do not want to cover the tile with an opaque (white or red) sealer and want to find a clear product so that tile remains visible.  Sorry for not explaining things clearly.

DSC00904.jpg.da7a19ec7c0299eee37d950c3a3de74b.jpg

The red painted bodeva dome is now covered with the torched roll down roofing and painted white. my concern is to seal the remaining flat clay tile that is visible with a clear impermeable sealer.

Thank you again for your interest in helping me find a solution.  What is your solution cedros???

pm

3 hours ago, quigley said:

I have a large tiled cupola and some moisture is coming through the grout.  My handyman/painter wants to dig out the old grout and replace with new grout.He says it will be a 3 day job.  Any thoughts?

Is not a good idea to have tiles on cupula, because is not a flat area to install tiles, and allways is problems between tiles in the grout, you can remplase the grout and instal some seal, thats work only for  couple years, but my opinion is take out the tiles, and live only whith concrete plaster finished. Suerte.

So you can't used the torched roll down as you walk on it. Otherwise it works well. I would consider replacing your clay tile with ceramic ones. That is what I put on my mirador 9 years ago and all leaking of water into the house ceased.

My contractor said that none of the sealers work for long. The only solution is ceramic tiles or torch/roll down.

OK, we have ceramic tiles on our mirador at the beach as per your application.   Just saying the beach because it's very humid ergo a variable to your situation.  Installed them probably 3 or 4 years ago.  Half is in the shade and the other in the sun.  No cracking of grout appearing on either application, sun or shade.  Sorry, looks like your guess is as good as mine regarding a sellador.  Do you think replacing the grout might help.  I have also had roof top miradors in Ajijic with saltillo tile that sat for several years and had no leakage.  Consider talking to someone like Rudy who has the shop on the carretera just west of Yves.   I'm sure he would have the experience and a good suggestion.  He's a very nice accommodating guy.

There are 2 types of Wismar sealer, Pedro Malo- the one with the blue label is just a mix of waxes and has a satin finish, the one with the pink label also contains polyurethane and is shiny. If you put down about 4-5 coats of the pink label one, it should seal well. The first coat absorbs, the subsequent ones build up the waterproofing. Apply it with a good quality sponge, that way you don't waste any, you can keep squeezing the excess out of the sponge. Brush application takes longer, and drips all over.

Then you can easily reapply a coat or 2 each year before rainy season, no need to strip off the old stuff.

They probably just used used a cement mix as grout when the tiles were laid- real grout has polymers in it that reduce that cracking around the tiles. And tiles should be wet when grouted, so it sticks well.

52 minutes ago, el bartman said:

OK, we have ceramic tiles on our mirador at the beach as per your application.   Just saying the beach because it's very humid ergo a variable to your situation.  Installed them probably 3 or 4 years ago.  Half is in the shade and the other in the sun.  No cracking of grout appearing on either application, sun or shade.  Sorry, looks like your guess is as good as mine regarding a sellador.  Do you think replacing the grout might help.  I have also had roof top miradors in Ajijic with saltillo tile that sat for several years and had no leakage.  Consider talking to someone like Rudy who has the shop on the carretera just west of Yves.   I'm sure he would have the experience and a good suggestion.  He's a very nice accommodating guy.

Thank you el bartman.  I'm actually planning to to add another story to the house.  The present mirador will become a large master bedroom so sealing the clay tile is a stop gap until I can start the construction.  There will be a new mirador on top of the new construction where I will install the ceramic tile with a impermeable membrane under it to guarantee a seal.

Do you have contact info for Rudy?  Is he an abañil or contractor?  I'm not too familiar with locations around Ajijic being a Jocotepecker!

Thanks so much for the additional leads!

10 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

There are 2 types of Wismar sealer, Pedro Malo- the one with the blue label is just a mix of waxes and has a satin finish, the one with the pink label also contains polyurethane and is shiny. If you put down about 4-5 coats of the pink label one, it should seal well. The first coat absorbs, the subsequent ones build up the waterproofing. Apply it with a good quality sponge, that way you don't waste any, you can keep squeezing the excess out of the sponge. Brush application takes longer, and drips all over.

Then you can easily reapply a coat or 2 each year before rainy season, no need to strip off the old stuff.

They probably just used used a cement mix as grout when the tiles were laid- real grout has polymers in it that reduce that cracking around the tiles. And tiles should be wet when grouted, so it sticks well.

Oh boy, this is the hot ticket mud girl!  Polyurethane will fill and seal cracks, I'm so grateful!  You were the one that had recommended the Wizmar to me after my failed attempt with the Sellacril.  I went to the website but did to read of polyurethane products, only saw the wax based ones.  I think problems solved!  Aren't you on the coast?  Guess it would do no good to ask you where I can find it Lakeside.  I'm grateful to you and everyone else!

PS  Still would like contact information for Rudy.  Maybe a last name so I can consult and get his opinion too.  Thank you all!

Yes, I'm in on the coast, but if you Google Wismar, I think they are based in Guadalajara, so maybe you could call them and ask if they have a distributor lakeside. 

By the way, it goes on milky but dries clear. And when it is wet, it looks milky as well, but when dry is clear again. Don't make the coats thick- many thin coats works much better. Also, it dries really quickly- you could easily apply 4 coats in a day. Might try to hang some tarps during the application so it's not in the beating hot sun.

38 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, I'm in on the coast, but if you Google Wismar, I think they are based in Guadalajara, so maybe you could call them and ask if they have a distributor lakeside. 

By the way, it goes on milky but dries clear. And when it is wet, it looks milky as well, but when dry is clear again. Don't make the coats thick- many thin coats works much better. Also, it dries really quickly- you could easily apply 4 coats in a day. Might try to hang some tarps during the application so it's not in the beating hot sun.

Thank you again mud girl for the application tips.

I can't figure out how I missed the mention of "acrilico/poliuretano" in the description of most of their products!  Old age I guess!

To bother you again, how do you read these 2 products?  The "Fusion" (pink label) states acrylic/polyurethane content.  The "LC Industrial" (blue label) also lists acrylic/polyurethane content with additional waxes making it a more durable finish?  Do you think either would work outside then or should I stick to the "Fusion"?  See link below and thanks so much.

http://www.wismar.com.mx/index_archivos/laceceras.htm

When I originally started using Wismar, 9 years ago, I got the blue label one, it was the only one they had at that point, or at least the only one I encountered. At that point, there was no polyurethane listed on that one, just a mix of waxes. Now I see it has polyurethane in it as well. Not sure why they list one as "Industrial" and the pink label one not. I know the blue label is satin finish and the pink is glossier, but sorry, I can't answer your question. Maybe you can contact the company to find out the difference?

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

P.S. Even the glossy one isn't super duper shiny like that useless Sellacril stuff- it has a sort of natural looking sheen that suits the saltillo tile.

Good to know these little details.

Thanks mudgirl!  You've been a lifesaver yet again.  I will contact the company and ask all those questions when I arrive to Joco.

You aren't kidding about that lousy Sellacril!  I spent over $5000 pesos on it and dozens of hours of labor for nothing!

4 hours ago, el bartman said:

I must file away Mudgirls information sounds like exactly what you were looking for pedro.   Here too is the info for Rudy:

Marble and Granite de Ajijic  766-1306   Rudy Renteria

Thank you for Rudy's contact info bartman!

Yes, mudgirl had actually given me this info over a year ago but I didn't realize what I already had!  She's been very helpful and a great contributor as you all are on this board.  

Sincerest thanks to you all again! 

Archived