Chapala.com Webboard

Article on illegal Immigration in the US

RickS

Isn't it amazing the 11 million number is set in stone? For at least a decade and more it's always been that, never more, never less and yet we see hoards coming across the border and we're told (wink wink) that some are self deporting or slipping into Canada now (except we don't see hoards doing that) - but the 11 million never changes. First you have to ask where does that number come from and by whose authority was it verified. Did they take a census and count them all, you know, the ones living in the shadows? - maybe they had a "write in" and tallied up all the responses, yeah sure, I'll bet they did that. No one ever challenges that number, I strongly suggest that would be an excellent starting point.

It's been my experience in this life that if the Gov is lying to you, they'll only tell you half of what they're hiding and expect you to believe it, and, if they are lying about savings, they'll double the number of more and yes, the main stream media will beat the drum from now until Spring, so when you can guarantee me only 11 million and only 4.5% unemployment, then I'll be glad to accept the premise. And, as far as accepting National Political Radio as a source? - unlikely, they cherry picked Pew and built the narrative from there.

I trust this about as much as I trust that Mexican study claim that most of the American expats are illegals.

It is rather like that unemployment number.  How do you have record percentages of people not in the work force because they have become discouraged and stopped looking, and hence are not being counted, and claim that is a real number?

And the robots haven't arrived in force yet.  Will they be counted among the employed? :D

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, RickS said:

Interesting (to me anyway) article that puts some figures and 'facts' to the numbers of illegal immigrants in the US.

http://www.npr.org/...amp;utm_term=nprnews

And Ricks, you believed those numbers are accurate? 

9 hours ago, giltner68 said:

Isn't it amazing the 11 million number is set in stone? For at least a decade and more it's always been that, never more, never less and yet we see hoards coming across the border and we're told (wink wink) that some are self deporting or slipping into Canada now (except we don't see hoards doing that) - but the 11 million never changes. First you have to ask where does that number come from and by whose authority was it verified. Did they take a census and count them all, you know, the ones living in the shadows? - maybe they had a "write in" and tallied up all the responses, yeah sure, I'll bet they did that. No one ever challenges that number, I strongly suggest that would be an excellent starting point.

It's been my experience in this life that if the Gov is lying to you, they'll only tell you half of what they're hiding and expect you to believe it, and, if they are lying about savings, they'll double the number of more and yes, the main stream media will beat the drum from now until Spring, so when you can guarantee me only 11 million and only 4.5% unemployment, then I'll be glad to accept the premise. And, as far as accepting National Political Radio as a source? - unlikely, they cherry picked Pew and built the narrative from there.

For the year 1993 the US Census bureau says there were 4,000,000 undocummented living in the USA and gives some indication of how they arrived at that number.

https://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0008/twps0008.html

The Center for Immigration Studies using data from ACS says there were 10.4 million undocumented in the USA in 2014.  the best available evidence indicates that there were a total of 15.7 million illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children in the adjusted December 2015 CPS Study here

And you imagine the census is absolutely correct? - boy, have I got a deal for you. When they did the census in MX and I was there, no one ever came to my door, so was I counted, estimated, persona non grata? Why would people in the country illegally be excited about being counted by the census? I would suspect they keep as low a profile as possible. Frankly, I could care less if they count me and I have nothing to hide.

1 hour ago, Jim Bowie said:

And Ricks, you believed those numbers are accurate? 

I Posted the article for intelligent minds to read, digest, question and explore. I did NOT post it because I had any inside information that said it was all irrefutable or up to date in all aspects.

Having said that, 'tho, I do have some trust in the Pew Research Center to be non-partisan and basically unbiased. The Center for Migration Studies I know less about but have not seen any data that says that they are biased towards anything other than migrant rights.

But at the end of the day (yes, I know I'm not supposed to be using that phrase anymore!) I am just the 'piano player' here. YMMV

RickS

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I Posted the article for intelligent minds to read, digest, question and explore. I did NOT post it because I had any inside information that said it was all irrefutable or up to date in all aspects.

Having said that, 'tho, I do have some trust in the Pew Research Center to be non-partisan and basically unbiased. The Center for Migration Studies I know less about but have not seen any data that says that they are biased towards anything other than migrant rights.

But at the end of the day (yes, I know I'm not supposed to be using that phrase anymore!) I am just the 'piano player' here. YMMV

RickS

I doubt very much that "intelligent minds" would read very much before they realized the numbers were way off from reality. Maybe you should consider not using the "player" piano next time. :D

Knife-man,  I'm guess that, since you made your comment, you are including yourself in with those 'intelligent minds'. Can you share with us where the respected Pew Research Center has made some agregious mistakes in their reporting in this article?

I'll "share" something with you regarding Pew, read up on articles regarding their research and methodology and you'll find the word ESTIMATE right up front in all their statements, in fact pretty much everyone is guessing, but the 11mil number has long ago worn out it's welcome.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2014/09/03/appendix-c-methodology-3/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/02/heres-how-we-can-be-confident-that-there-are-11-million-undocumented-immigrants-in-the-u-s/

Archived