Chapala.com Webboard

PC Plus (Loblaws) Password Reset

Arjay

This concerns Canadians who have PC Plus Accounts (Loblaws).  On February 21 there was a security breach and Loblaws reset all passwords.

Ever since then I've been locked out of my account.  When I try and re-set my password, I receive an email with a link asking me to re-set my password.  When I click on it, I get the following online message:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.pcplus.ca/loyaltyHome.jsp?" on this server.

I've re-tried this procedure about 10 times, phoned them 3 times, sent them an email, and evidently it's not a problem at their end and they suggest it's a problem with my computer.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or have any solutions to get me back into my account, please?

Yes - I had the same problem until I used my VPN and made PCPlus think I was accessing from Canada - they are obviously in high security mode and blocking account access from Mexico ...... if you have a VPN  server, see if it works for you with PC Points ..... 

I called PC Plus and was told that - as La-De-Di says above....  their server knows I'm in Mexico and won't allow the connection.

They assured me that it will work when we return to Canada in the Spring.

15 hours ago, La-de-di said:

Yes - I had the same problem until I used my VPN and made PCPlus think I was accessing from Canada - they are obviously in high security mode and blocking account access from Mexico ...... if you have a VPN  server, see if it works for you with PC Points ..... 

Thanks for your reply.  I need some help - I don't know what VPN is or how to make it think I'm accessing it from Canada.  Help, please !!  I got yet another PC Plus email today asking me to re-set my password and got the same result.  This must be at least the 12th email I've received.  Such a time waster.

3 hours ago, La-de-di said:

I use PIA - Private Internet Access ..... download it to your computer and use it when you need it. There are free apps but this one costs $$ and works better than the other ones I've tried

Sorry if I'm uneducated but what will PIA do for me and how do I use it?  What is the cost and is it annual?  Why is is better than the freebies?  At the moment, the only website I get Access Denied is for PCPlus.  Thanks.

You can try downloading and installing TunnelBear from here: https://www.tunnelbear.com/download

This is a VPN or Virtual Private Network that is very simple to use, and gives you a limited amount of connection time every month. Once it is installed, you select Canada as your country, which makes it look like you are actually in Canada. It works most of the time, and is an easy and cheap way to test your requirements. If it works, and you can get into your Plus account (no idea why you are blocked, when my own PCFinancial account has no problems), then you just fire up the program every time you need to access the account.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You can try downloading and installing TunnelBear from here: https://www.tunnelbear.com/download

This is a VPN or Virtual Private Network that is very simple to use, and gives you a limited amount of connection time every month. Once it is installed, you select Canada as your country, which makes it look like you are actually in Canada. It works most of the time, and is an easy and cheap way to test your requirements. If it works, and you can get into your Plus account (no idea why you are blocked, when my own PCFinancial account has no problems), then you just fire up the program every time you need to access the account.

Many thanks for your suggestion.  I just downloaded TunnelBear and created an account.  I think I might be getting somewhere after my bear tunneled from Mexico to Canada.  I'll have to wait and see what happens after trying to re-set my password.  I'll keep you posted.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

PC Financial isn't blocking - only PCPlus because accounts were hacked and points stolen. Seems silly to be able to get into one's bank account from Mexico but not the points account - those people in Mexico are trying to steal points, not $$$ ?  .... 

1 hour ago, La-de-di said:

PC Financial isn't blocking - only PCPlus because accounts were hacked and points stolen. Seems silly to be able to get into one's bank account from Mexico but not the points account - those people in Mexico are trying to steal points, not $$$ ?  .... 

I agree completely - I've wasted numerous hours on this stupid issue.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

YIPPEE - Computer Guy, you're a genius - I FINALLY got into my account - thank you so much.  Do I close the TunnelBear when I'm not using it or just leave it open?  Will there be an icon to click on if I need it for another website?

On 3/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, La-de-di said:

I understand that. I don't understand why the difference in the security between types of accounts.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:07 PM, Arjay said:

YIPPEE - Computer Guy, you're a genius - I FINALLY got into my account - thank you so much.  Do I close the TunnelBear when I'm not using it or just leave it open?  Will there be an icon to click on if I need it for another website?

You should close it when not using it, because the free version only provides 500MB/month. This isn't enough for daily surfing. (Unless you subscribe to the pay version; then no problem keeping it running. There will be an icon in the taskbar in your lower right screen when it is running, and one on the desktop to start it when it's not running.

There is also an Option in the settings to tell it whether or not to start when Windows starts.

Archived