Chapala.com Webboard

??? How do you register a MX car if not Permanante?

kimanjome

Hubby and I are absolutely baffled on the order in which to do things. Need help!

So: we buy a house in Mexico that "comes" with a MX plated car. But we can't register the car because we aren't Permanante, nor can we drive the car, it sits idle in the garage while we settle into the new house.  Then, after a month or two, we fly back to the US, visit the MX consulate, file for Permanante, fly back to MX, file the papers there, and wait.  Can't leave the country for 30 days.  Do I have this correct, thus far? Essentially, we are without a vehicle for xxxx number of months.  Because we can't come in with our US car and use that until we get Permanante, for the reason that we will have to get the car out of Mexico before filing (and getting the sticker in our passport) to initiate the Permanante process.

Is this correct? Is there an easier way of doing this? How have other people handled it?

So don't register the car until you have your status (temporale or permanente). FYI with temporale you can drive a MX vehicle OR an out of country vehicle and you should be able to register MX vehicle if you are temporale. You can convert to permanente in 3 or 4  years. If you can, get the original owner of the car to provide you with a rental agreement. There had to be some kind of paperwork when you bought the house/car to transfer the ownership. If the original owner didn't attend the closing and had done up a power of attorney then ask the 'attorney' to provide you with a rental agreement.

Do you think the owner would go for that... I wouldn't because of the liability if you have a big accident and the insurance is not sufficient to cover all of the costs... Who is on the hook.. The owner of the vehicle. Because you cannot insure the vehicle as you are not the registered owner. And I know all this because I went through it last year when I couldn't change the ownership of the vehicle I purchased because I didn't have my permenant card.

if you make an appointment at the consulate you can fly home visit the consulate be in and out in 2 hours with your visa stamp. Be back here the next day..

i used Veronica who is at LCS on Monday and Tuesday, she did everything for me and I picked up my card in four weeks..

Be sure you have the original factura from when the car was bought new. If not in many states impossible to register.

Next ask at Rentas what documents are required to register a vehicle. In San Miguel which is some distance from you I could have your driver's license in an hour and register vehicle same day if you have the original factura.

saludos

Sonia

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Do you think the owner would go for that... I wouldn't because of the liability if you have a big accident and the insurance is not sufficient to cover all of the costs... Who is on the hook.. The owner of the vehicle. Because you cannot insure the vehicle as you are not the registered owner. And I know all this because I went through it last year when I couldn't change the ownership of the vehicle I purchased because I didn't have my permenant card.

if you make an appointment at the consulate you can fly home visit the consulate be in and out in 2 hours with your visa stamp. Be back here the next day..

i used Veronica who is at LCS on Monday and Tuesday, she did everything for me and I picked up my card in four weeks..

Forgot to say...

When we (seller and buyer) found out we could not change over the ownership of the vehicle we spoke to the insurance broker and a lawyer about a possible solution . They were both of the opinion that in the event of a catastrophe accident the registered owner of the vehicle could have some liability.

13 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Get an different attorney, e.g. Spencer.  You CAN register the car in Chapala, you don't need to be Resident Permanente!  Where are you?  You CAN drive the car if you're in Jalisco even if it's registered to someone else.

I wonder why posters don't do some fact checking before posting...?

FACT.....You cannot register a vehicle in Chapala unless you are a temporary or permenant resident. And you have to have your P orT card in your hand, cannot be waiting to pick your card.

FACT..... Spencer was the attorney the seller consulted 

Fact...... The post was not about driving a vehicle, it was about REGISTERING a vehicle.

Bring it to San Miguel with proper documents and you will have a MX driver's license and vehicle legally registered same day. 

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I wonder why posters don't do some fact checking before posting...?

FACT.....You cannot register a vehicle in Chapala unless you are a temporary or permenant resident. And you have to have your P orT card in your hand, cannot be waiting to pick your card.

FACT..... Spencer was the attorney the seller consulted 

Fact...... The post was not about driving a vehicle, it was about REGISTERING a vehicle.

FACT TAKEN FROM THE OP:  

So: we buy a house in Mexico that "comes" with a MX plated car. But we can't register the car because we aren't Permanante, nor can we drive the car,

FACT:  They CAN drive the car!

23 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

FACT TAKEN FROM THE OP:  

So: we buy a house in Mexico that "comes" with a MX plated car. But we can't register the car because we aren't Permanante, nor can we drive the car,

FACT:  They CAN drive the car!

OK!!!!!  so they can drive the car with no insurance ...if they wish...

Fact .. They can't insure the vehicle if it is not registered in their name... 

Fact.. Went through the liability issue with an insurance broker right here in Ajijic..  

The registered owner would be liable for any damages the insurance policy does        not cover.

Went through all these issues last fall when I tried to purchase/register an Jalisco plated vehicle ...

Archived