Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

We are experiencing nightly problems with Bats or at least one stubborn Bat. Actually the bats are not bothering us, it's their leaving's that have become an issue. We have LED spot lights shinning into the ceiling of our mirador which historically have been more than enough of a deterrent. Not now! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem.  What solved it was I hung a few shiny items from the top of the canopy over the table and a couple around the edges of the mirador wall and they have never come back.  I just constructed a small ball wrapped in tinfoil and at night they move around a bit with the wind.  I guess the bats don't like the shiny or the moving so they went elsewhere.  Hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also had this problem years ago outside the front door on our terrace (ugh).  We hung a small transistor radio on the wall and left it on at night with low static.  That did it and we haven't had a problem since.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps bat houses might help drawing them away from the your house to their house.  They certainly will help eliminate your slapping, scratching mosquito problem around and in your house. Check with Have Hammers ...Will Travel Carpentry School ( Mr. Hammer ) 766-4830 next to S&S auto. I think they will or are considering making it a student project which was mentioned b/4. And this is the season coming up for these little buggers. Don't get " Slap Happy call Have Hammers "  LOL 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Perhaps bat houses might help drawing them away from the your house to their house.  They certainly will help eliminate your slapping, scratching mosquito problem around and in your house. Check with Have Hammers ...Will Travel Carpentry School ( Mr. Hammer ) 766-4830 next to S&S auto. I think they will or are considering making it a student project which was mentioned b/4. And this is the season coming up for these little buggers. Don't get " Slap Happy call Have Hammers "  LOL 

You mentioned this previously and it was determined that it won't work here as these are  Mexican/Jamaican fruit bats for starters and don't eat insects and they don't use NOB style "bat houses" ever around here. they roost in untrimmed palms "leaf tents", and occasionally under roof tiles. Rats and mice might like your bat houses though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ned small said:

won't work here as these are  Mexican/Jamaican fruit bats for starters and don't eat insects and they don't use NOB style "bat houses" ever around here. they roost in untrimmed palms "leaf tents", and occasionally under roof tiles. Rats and mice might like your bat houses though.

Helpful info. Sadly you're right about bat houses not working here. I put one up over a year ago and never had any bats move in. Don't have any rats or mice either though. I'll have to try hanging up the shiny things as the bats empty my feeder every night if I leave it out. Seems like Mexicans don't generally hang up hummingbird feeders - wonder why..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snowyela said:

Helpful info. Sadly you're right about bat houses not working here. I put one up over a year ago and never had any bats move in. Don't have any rats or mice either though. I'll have to try hanging up the shiny things as the bats empty my feeder every night if I leave it out. Seems like Mexicans don't generally hang up hummingbird feeders - wonder why..

My friends who have a feeder put a grocery bag over it just before dark and remove when they get up. It totally works.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had this problem...twice. The first time, we had the tiles on the roof redone and they were supposed to have a block at the end to prevent the bats from nesting. For a while, it worked. Now, we're having the tiles removed and leaving our roof flat. No, it's not as "rustic," but it also is no longer a bat cave. Another problem is the trees around your home. If you have those tall palms, the fruit (and the fruit of a few others) also attracts the bats. You have to have them properly trimmed. FWIW, we tried the sonic deterrents, lights, etc, and the bats eventually returned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, awakened last night to a flight of bats doing laps around our covered terrace, none had displayed their flight numbers so had no idea how many or who was winning? Turned the terrace lights on realized that this owner was at fault as the feeder was missing it's cover. Give me 3-4 things to do & I generally miss 1? Mirador has been  fine with an extra string of rope LED lighting now if I can get the feeder cover in place we may just resolve the problem, I hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a house in the area that has about 2,000 bats coming out of the roof tiles.   It is seasonal, when the rains come they leave for the rest of the year.  They come back in January.   We can smell the rain soaked bat guano - it smells something awful.  Would histoplasmosis be a potential issue for the owner and people near by?   Any other reasons to help convince someone to get rid of their bats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

March 28th: Since using the additional LED Rope lighting March 11th± for 4 nights in a row all signs of the bats have disappeared? Do not know if the LED lighting is fully responsible or some feeding habit; insects or fruit availability created the changes. In any case thanks for the ideas suggestions! Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...