Chapala.com Webboard

Golf carts are not safe or appropriate here

I agree with Joco and a few of the above. Many of you do NOT know the rules. NO, we cannot go on the carretera NOR the cyclopista & we can only cross at traffic lights. We must follow the rules of the road and yes, we are stopped for driving infractions. If you have a motorized one you must have a license & insurance, if you have an electric cart you need no insurance. I carry ownship papers, my drivers license, map of the one way streets, and a cell phone since it is a vehicle. They do not go fast.  I have been here 6 years (proud owner of one for 2 years)  and have yet to hear of one in an accident. They are GREEN,  using no gas. They are less expensive and less spacious than a car down these small streets. For those of you who have those big darn SUV's be serious! These carts go basically up to Villia Nova and to Super Lake giving many older people freedom to easily get around and park easily.  I give ederly Mexicans rides as well as Mexicans loaded with bags rides. Do YOU do that? There was a meeting about Golf Carts recently that turned out to be a scam. I tried to warn the people but no one would listen. My Golf cart is my freedom. Each to their own. I wish there was a golf cart club like a motorcycle club for social aspects. Oh, the Mexcan children love to get a ride!

I really was not intending to cause such a lot of input. both good and bad, final words from me on this subject.

1. my cart is solar powered ie TOTALLY green, no noise, no smell

2. I always drive on the correct side of the road

3.  I do not drive on the carretera NEVER!

4. as my cart is legal, what business is it of anyone else if I make my life possible by using my golf cart?

• 2 weeks later...

Are golf carts allowed on the cyclopista by law?

3 hours ago, Niki said:

Are golf carts allowed on the cyclopista by law?

I'll bet if you spelled out fully the word "cyclopista" in English you would have your answer.   Bicycle path or pathway. Bi means two wheels not four. Also without motors in this case.

4 minutes ago, hammerhead said:

I'll bet if you spelled out fully the word "cyclopista" in English you would have your answer.   Bicycle path or pathway. Bi means two wheels not four. Also without motors in this case.

By your logic, foot traffic is not allowed either.

19 minutes ago, hammerhead said:

There are unicycles and tricycles, both of which are likely allowed. Cyclopista does not have "bi" in it. I'm not looking for a wise guy answer. I was hoping to get a legal response by somebody like Spencer McMullen.

19 minutes ago, Niki said:

There are unicycles and tricycles, both of which are likely allowed. Cyclopista does not have "bi" in it. I'm not looking for a wise guy answer. I was hoping to get a legal response by somebody like Spencer McMullen.

Oh my gosh!  Is this a case of a lack of common sense and humor? The answer should be obvious. NO! You are not allowed to drive a  golf cart on the cyclopista. Does anyone out there think a golf cart is ok where we would see bikes and pedestrians including small children, babies being pushed in strollers mowed down by golf carts?? What if two carts were coming from different directions and of course there is only room for one. Right! I have seen painted pictures of bikes on the ground at the entrances to the cyclopista. I wonder why???  What does that mean????  DAAAA. Take your choice of reasons why maybe the answer is no. I'm sure there is more out there.   

So, I am pondering why people drive golf carts. I am thinking that (a) this is a tourist thing or (b) this is a way to get around when you are too old to be driving and/or can't afford to keep a car or hire taxis, but I don't know. Me, I am arthritic already, and have enough trouble bouncing around the Ajijic streets in a Honda Fit--a golf cart would be a nightmare. I would be interested in hearing from golf cart users as to why this works for them.

I am the English police (sometimes). "Bipedal" refers to two-legged. So, um, yes: people. Not that I am a sesquipedalian...

I'm with hammerhead and Jay Bearll on this one. However, walking along the stretch beside La Floresta on the mountain side, whether allowed or not, is just asking for trouble, because there are too many motorbikes zipping through there on any given day, and way too many cars trying to sneak past during most weekends. I don't understand why walkers don't use the perfectly good sidewalks that run alongside the laterals.

I'm amazed that I haven't yet seen a vendor and his/her candy table flying through the air on the south side of the road there, as some speedy twit tries to outmanouevre the traffic by passing on the inside.

Actually I have spoken personally to several women who stated that their vision is impaired to much to drive a car, but feel that they can see well enough to drive a golf cart on the back roads.  And they think I'm crazy to ride a scooter on the carretera and libramiento.

Archived