Chapala.com Webboard

Golf carts are not safe or appropriate here

In many places such as San Miguel they can not be registered, plated nor used on public roads.

I am not sure to which "law" you would be referring? I doubt if they are covered under the traffic act. I would be surprised if any of them are licensed or insured so they do create a hazard on the roads.

We have a local rental service here and yes their carts are licensed and insured.  I've seen a mixture of carts with plates and without them otherwise.

Although these should not be out on the carretera or other main roads, in any of the villages they certainly move fast enough for the narrow, rough streets teeming with people and animals.

It is said that if you don't like something change it; if you can't change it change your attitude.   Frankly I think they should be limited to the village/back streets and the cyclopista but I am not in favor of big brother legislation.

5 hours ago, Prudent said:

Golf carts do not go fast enough to be dangerous. I am more concerned about families riding on one motorcycle without any protective gear. As long as people stay off highways with golf carts and stick to the slow streets there should not be a problem.

From the article: 

“In the last 15 years since I’ve been doing this, there has only been one death,” he said. Most serious collisions are caused by teenagers who drive too fast or turn too quickly; older adults generally don’t do that, he said. “I think it is a misrepresentation to say it is a major safety problem for retirement communities,” he added.

Similar reports come from California. “It’s not something that rides high on our list of problems,” said Chris Cochran, assistant director of marketing and public affairs for the state’s Office of Traffic Safety. In 2014 there was one death and 17 injuries; in 2015, there was another death and 12 injuries for golf carts statewide."

Another advantage is that the carts can be recharged using solar panels, cutting fossil fuel use and improving the air.  This might be getting pretty economic given the price of gas these days.  Solar is totally practical here with our strong and consistent sunlight, no reason why it couldn't also meet our micro transport needs.

6 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Golf carts are not allowed on the carretera; only on the cyclopista and back streets.

But they do drive on the carretera. I have to keep watching for motor bikes, bicycles

( one hit me and I was stopped at a light) now golf carts. Back streets and

cyclopista  sounds good.

I have owned and driven one here daily for 8 years NEVER had an accident and YES it has a number plate so it IS allowed.

Without it I would be back to 'trying' to use a wheelchair or not be living in paradise, be careful how and who you judge please.

23 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

But they do drive on the carretera. I have to keep watching for motor bikes, bicycles

( one hit me and I was stopped at a light) now golf carts. Back streets and

cyclopista  sounds good.

How does a bicycle operate on the path if a golf cart is on it?  Cars are much more a danger to cyclists, and the path should be available to them.

Well ok it's a bike path.  So no people can walk on it.   Only bikes, says so on the sign, cyclopista right.   Ever watched and listen to the pedestrians who shout at the bike riders when they almost run them over.    Seems to me the commonality is that it's a safe place for people to enjoy without getting run over by a car or truck.   I don't think a golf cart on the highway is safe.  Now obviously when things are shared courtesy should follow.   If we cant all get along what should we do - pack a pistol?   We can really get argumentative and anal about this if we fail to accept a courteous sharing philosophy.

I consider driving in Ajijic, especially in snowbird season, as being a test of dexterity and reflexes.  What's a few golf carts in the mix?

I used to think flying an F-4 in combat required good reflexes, but I never had to dodge cows, horses, dogs, cats, pedestrians, kids on bicycles, motor bikes cutting in and out, busses etc, just a few missles.  Rather tame compared to driving in Ajijic.

23 hours ago, ibbocat said:

I have owned and driven one here daily for 8 years NEVER had an accident and YES it has a number plate so it IS allowed.

Without it I would be back to 'trying' to use a wheelchair or not be living in paradise, be careful how and who you judge please.

Why not drive a car?

Because I can not guarantee to park close enough to where I need to go, obviously I drive a car for distances. But I fail to understand the problem people seem to have with a golf cart. Two reasons , it is MUCH smaller than most NOB type trucks and cars ie similar in size to the type of vehicles the village roads were made for, plus a golf cart travels at the speed of all other traffic on the village roads. Can some one please explain what all this fuss is about?

3 hours ago, Prudent said:

Why not drive a car?

I can give you a gazillion reasons why I prefer to not drive a noisy,  oversized, fossil-fueled 1.5 ton steel vehicle on narrow, village streets that are crowded with pedestrians, animals, and assorted other flotsam and jetsam.

1 hour ago, ibbocat said:

Can some one please explain what all this fuss is about?

I can certainly tell you: because far too many of the drivers are very, very poor drivers. They drive too slowly, in the wrong part of the road, which causes frustration, and not just on the part of the one guy immediately behind. They take too many chances, drive on the sidewalks along the highway, don't use their signals properly, turn abruptly with no warning, and it is quite obvious that some of them can barely see. If we all drove little vehicles or carts, there would be no reason to worry... except for those who drive their cars exactly the same way now.

And to kimanjome: I can give you over 1.2 billion reasons worldwide why people drive cars. But perhaps more importantly, perhaps you can offer some alternatives for people who use their vehicles for work, or delivery, or coming in from out of town, or anyone for that matter who doesn't live right in the village. Our world is designed for cars and trucks. All power to people who bus it, but that is not a solution for the majority. This may not be an "ideal" solution, but it is common sense.

Funny part is small (I10,march and such) cars  are much safer and don't pollute compared to a gas golf cart and are also very easy to park.  Electric carts are much better and frankly I have not seen them be a problem in Ajijic. Replacing batteries on a golf cart is a big expense. Our 10 year old Micra (european made Nissan march) does everything well in the village and it has two simple airbags for driving the carraterra.  Small cars are much safer than a golf cart and almost as easy to park. Not saying that there is no place for electric golf cart but for many of us an uber small car might be a better choice. My last experience on Island of women and all the gas golf carts was very bad due to smell and bad drivers with beer. Frankly the air stunk.  Luckly at least in Ajijic most of carts are electric.  

Good Luck

Archived