Chapala.com Webboard

180-day tourist Visa

This is probably beyond the scope of a discussion board but just in case someone has come across this, here goes. My wife and I drove down on Dec 1st. We're just regular tourists from CAN on 180-day tourist visas and we're leaving at the end of the month. When we cross back into AZ I'll stop and have the decal removed from my windshield but I've never given back my Visa or had my passport stamped on the way out. 

Here's my question. My motorcycle is in storage in AZ and I'm only staying in the US for 3 days and then I'm riding my motorcycle down the Baja. The Baja is and free Zone so I don't need to import my bike but  do I need another tourist visa or is the one I have OK for a return trip as long as I'm out within the original 180 days? 

I'll of course buy Mexican insurance but not having to stop for a new Visa would be really convenient.

Thx

2 hours ago, jrod said:

You need to surrender the current FMM and get a new one upon your return.

That is the law.. But few people do it when they drive out.. Never heard of anyone having a problem when they return.. But !!!!!!! INM is getting more sofistocated, so you never know when they might start clamping down on that kind of thing...

I have no idea how anyone would know that you went out of the country for a few days. In 18 years, no one has ever known I went out and came back. So, you do what you want to do.

41 minutes ago, dealerdave said:

You just never know what decision will be made if you're not legal. 

Just out of curiosity, how do they know if you are not legal?

4 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

I have no idea how anyone would know that you went out of the country for a few days. In 18 years, no one has ever known I went out and came back. So, you do what you want to do.

Typical thought process of an American.. %#£€ the law...  We do it our way...

8 minutes ago, dealerdave said:

I was assuming that what others said was true, that you needed to turn in your current visa and get another one.  I said "if you're not legal" as a general principle.  I don't want to pay a price for something when it's not necessary.

Smart thing to do... Then you have no worries about re-entering...

9 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Typical thought process of an American.. %#£€ the law...  We do it our way...

At least I have a thought process, bubba ! Your jealousy is showing again !

OK..... let's go with honesty is the best policy - I'll relinquish my tourist visa on the way back and pay for a new one when I cross into the Baja - but where and how do I return it? We've driven back into the US at Nogales several times but we've never given back our Vsa's and never had our passports stamped. The Visa office is on the opposite side of the highway than the kiosk where you return the window sticker from the TIP. Do we go back into into the office where they issue the Visa?

Actually handing in your FMM is not required; nor is having your passport stamped.  The FMM is invalid when you step across the border; even if Mexico does not know that you have departed.  However, when you return and ask for a new FMM tourist permit, they will certainly know & be happy to issue it to you for a fresh 180 days in most cases.

I'm still investigating this and came across an advisory on another board; Discover Baja, and they advise that since 2015 the FMM is now good for multiple trips within the original 180 day period. I looked on the Mexican Govt website and can't find any verification of this but Google Translate only goes so far.

But one thing I did find out that's good news is you can now apply for your FMM online and pay with Visa card - just like your TIP. You still have to have your passport and the FMM stamped or it's not valid but it'll save quite a bit of time at the border next time we drive down.      

Among other clarifications, on the back of the FMM it states, "IMPORTANT" During your stay in Mexico you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country." Nowhere does it say multiple entries.

I stand corrected - you're absolutely right. In English and the first thing listed. So question answered. I'll turn it in on my way home. I haven't done this before but I'll be crossing back into Mexico just five days later and I don't want the hassle of trying to explain why I have an FMM still outstanding while I'm trying to obtain another. 

On 3/7/2017 at 3:18 PM, Mainecoons said:

This is hardly unique to Americans.  Shall we do a head count and compare numbers?

:)

Much as we Canadians like to feel superior to Americans, I have to agree.   I can think of many Canadians who would have the same attitude to MX rules

2 hours ago, dboisclair said:

I stand corrected - you're absolutely right. In English and the first thing listed. So question answered. I'll turn it in on my way home. I haven't done this before but I'll be crossing back into Mexico just five days later and I don't want the hassle of trying to explain why I have an FMM still outstanding while I'm trying to obtain another. 

Smart move.. 

26 minutes ago, BCdoug said:

Much as we Canadians like to feel superior to Americans, I have to agree.   I can think of many Canadians who would have the same attitude to MX rules

Well, the first challenge is to figure out what Mexican rules are--this week.  But I wasn't referring to Canadians here.  I was referring to a comparison of the numbers of U.S. expats, and you can include Canadians if you like, who ignore or bend Mexican immigration laws versus the number of Mexicans who do the same with U.S. immigration laws.

I must live a very sheltered life here because I don't know anyone who does.  Every one I know has either Temporal or Permanente visas.

Regards the OP this is a good example.  Is it OK to reuse the TP for the entire 180 days or should it be turned in whenever exiting.  I'd opt for the latter because that is the sure way to avoid problems.  However, I'd turn in the other one on exit and maybe even request some sort of receipt as proof.  Otherwise, someone may think the first one is still out there.

Life here is a lot easier when one has a Temporal or Permanente IMO.

9 hours ago, BCdoug said:

I have to agree with you there...But they just don't boast about it like Americians do..

Archived