Chapala.com Webboard

New Airboat for the Laguna

29 minutes ago, Prudent said:

There are already lots of boats to rent in Chapala and Mezcala. The owners will take you wherever you want to go on the lake.

Agree - those owner operated boats hold quite a few people and they are much quieter than an airboat with a monster engine. Most of the owner operated boats are only 30 to 50 horse engines and skim along quite nicely and sure use a lot less fuel.

11 hours ago, Wookie said:

I am one of those terrible Gringos that do not like this type of noise.  The airboat they had before was very unpleasant to hear, so this is another No vote.  What about one of those river row boats that are used to see the Grand Tetons in the states?  They hold several people, are operated by one person at the oars and are, of course very quiet.  It would be much more pleasant for the residents as well as the ones partaking of the ride.  It really isn't necessary to have noise pollution in order to enjoy nature.

The swiftly moving Snake River provides the propulsion there and fossil fuels are used to get the raft back upriver.

What I really liked about the cross lake service was the seating was very comfortable, there was a large cover protecting from the sun and the guy had nice cold beverages on board.  It was quiet enough to permit unhindered conversation.

This would have lots of sun, wind and noise.  Looks like a joy ride to me, not a serious lake excursion boat.  Might work for the big spending Tapatio weekend crowd but I seriously doubt it would attract much business from the permanent community.

Here's an airboat ride picture similar in size.  Notice what they are all wearing:

Image result for airboat ride pictures

Some of those trying to infer that expats sank the last one might want to consider it could have been a matter of personal reprisal or even extortion.  The MO sure doesn't sound much like the geezer expats we have around here,  Interesting that some are so down on their expat neighbors they'd make these kinds of inferences without benefit of any evidence whatsoever.

Last time I disliked my neighbors that much I moved. :)

I believe using the lake for fun and entertainment would be great. The main draw back to this air boat proposition is the noise factor, but I say yes to doing SOMETHING with our beautiful lake what ever it is. So here is my and other lakeside residents solution. Seven or 8 years ago we almost had a done deal here on our lake to start having WAR CANOE races. No noise, no fuel used. Fantastic big fund raiser for charities and non-profits. This has been done for years in the U.S. and Canada where different lakes or towns have their own teams to compete against each other and with great support and turnouts from the local folks. If there is anyone interested I can put you in touch with the local Gringo here who has all the poop, photos and answers. Personally I think it is perfect for Lake Chapala now that we are more assured of the lake level. This is great fun for everyone whether you are a participant ore sitting on the shore under tents with a margarita in your hand.   What do YOU think?   

I have been out on that boat. I don't remember what I paid but it was well worth it. It was great fun. And yes I wore noise suppression headphones.  And when We waved at the locals they were usually friendly. However what I remember most was my fellow expats on the shore signaling back Thumbs down etc. So yes it was fun but I guess it was not liked or enjoyed by the expats who lived by the shore. Yes that boat was very very loud and I wouldn't want to live by it either.

But as I said above, it sure was fun to ride in with noise suppression headphones.

22 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

"YES" to airboats on the lake.      

It would be a great thing to have on the lake...I would luv to take a ride on it..

But I doubt it would be financially viable, Also there are so many gringos it this town who hate to see others having any fun.. They would be trying to get up a  petition to ban it from the lake... The noise police would be patrolling the shore line with their IPhone noise meters... 

Obviously you don't live on or near the lake. Banning it has absolutely no relationship to people having fun., it is all about the noise.  Have you ever heard one???

Yeah but they're kinda like airplanes and they move away pretty quickly. Not like having a carpentry business next door that buzzes all day or a barking dog. Or fighting cocks.

Why not go solar to cut costs and noise?  

Anyone familiar with these tour boats in Ottawa??

Rideau Canal Cruises - Electric sighseeing boats in downtown Ottawa - cruises between the Ottawa Locks and Dows Lake. Departs from the National Arts Centre side of the canal below Plaza Bridge with stops at Lansdowne Park and Dows Lake. These solar power boats accommodate up to 98 people. For schedule and fares see the website or call 613-317-3919.

22 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

A definite no from me. I happen to live very close to the lake, in an area chosen for its tranquility. The people around here have traded off the convenience of village life for the peace and quiet. When I say people, most of my neighbors are Mexicans, and they all have the same rationale for having property here. They hate the noise as much as us gringos, but are too polite to make a fuss about it.

The last airboat thing was an abomination for us. Where we used to sit looking at the lake and socializing in the evening, we were forced back into our houses with the windows closed. That thing was so loud we couldn't talk to each other. I hope and pray it won't return.

a definite no from us too. you could hear that last boat from 2 blocks away and everyone hated it--sorry stewart. we'd rather see houseboats on the lake...

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Why not go solar to cut costs and noise?  

Anyone familiar with these tour boats in Ottawa??

Rideau Canal Cruises - Electric sighseeing boats in downtown Ottawa - cruises between the Ottawa Locks and Dows Lake. Departs from the National Arts Centre side of the canal below Plaza Bridge with stops at Lansdowne Park and Dows Lake. These solar power boats accommodate up to 98 people. For schedule and fares see the website or call 613-317-3919.

I'm not familiar with a solar cruise boat but sure familiar with the concept, and having a similar one - perhaps a little smaller here would probably make more sense due to sun strength than the one in Canada and would make a lot more people here happy than a noise maker. I like it!

1 hour ago, Prudent said:

Again, what's wrong with the boats that are already available for hire?

Could we persuade you to start a separate thread listing details on this?  Other than the party boat I wasn't aware there were any other boats other than the little boats with outboard motors in a few places.  I think the idea here is something larger and faster.

27 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Could we persuade you to start a separate thread listing details on this?  Other than the party boat I wasn't aware there were any other boats other than the little boats with outboard motors in a few places.  I think the idea here is something larger and faster.

Clearly the OP is not interested in alternative ideas to the airboat/s. Asked opinions about that and some of us gave them. Since there are very few Mexicans on this board,I would speculate that he got the response that he expected.This kind of boat is for people who enjoy speed and noise not leisurely tours. An airboat can go where no other can at great speed,making turns,etc. because it can practically fly over obstacles,even like the giant one in the OP.

Yeah we experienced all of that on our ride in the Everglades. I was amazed at the skill of the captain while my wife thought he was crazy. We arrived back at the dock and everyone got out. Now the Captain's turn. He proceeded to fall right into the water and needed the help of 2 other employees to get out. He was clearly drunk! No more airboat rides.

Archived