Chapala.com Webboard

New Airboat for the Laguna

The Mexican Company that owned Ajijic Airboat Tours asked me what the Gringo community would think about an up-scaled version of the old airboat, with two engines putting out 1600 HP (but much quieter) and holding a lot more guests to enjoy our lake from an angle few get to appreciate. I offered to toss it out to the community and get their feedback.

This one would have internal security so no Gringos can sabotage it this time -- and because of the increased passenger capacity -- would take fewer trips -- and then mostly on weekends.

copper_responder_4.jpg

copper_responder_1.jpg

If I lived close to the lake or on the lake I might be afraid of the possibility of loud noise. Living far from the shoreline, I would like to pay for the occasional boat trip along different shores of our beautiful lake.

I'm skeptical as to just how "quiet" 1600HP would be and I also remember several others have tried to get boat services going on the lake and apparently couldn't make it pay.  I particularly remember the guy who was going across the lake from the Ajijic pier in a nice boat.  Spouse and I were lucky to take that trip while he was still operating, it sure was fun.

We as sorry the idea didn't make it as we would have liked to taken our visitors on that ride.

I would think just the fuel consumption of that much HP would make this idea uneconomic.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

What's this mean?

The previous airboat was "scuppered" as the nautical folks say - vandalised and sunk. There is no evidence that I know of that gringos were involved, but I remember the very loud airboat sure was unpopular and controversial. He should be asking the Tapatios, they are the ones with the money for this sort of thing. It would be an expensive ride.

The engine noise is only half the noise, even if muffled, it's still loud, but the noise created by the props is almost louder and that you can't change. Think about a sizable floor fan, when cranked up does the motor actually make any noise? - but smacking the blades into the air sure does. I notice they enclose the operator in a cab, convenient.

As one who has depended on these machines to fish, crab, frog, etc...  I can tell you there ain't no such thing as a quiet (or even "less loud") airboat.  Dude, ya gotta have ear protection just to ride in one!

Ask anyone from Southern Louisiana or Florida how quiet airboats are!

OTOH, would sure be nice to have a boat service!  I, for one, and my guests would certainly use the service if fares were reasonable.

GREAT idea!  Not the right machine, tho.

"YES" to airboats on the lake.      

It would be a great thing to have on the lake...I would luv to take a ride on it..

But I doubt it would be financially viable, Also there are so many gringos it this town who hate to see others having any fun.. They would be trying to get up a  petition to ban it from the lake... The noise police would be patrolling the shore line with their IPhone noise meters... 

Took an airboat ride in the Everglades many years ago. Even with ear protection it was really loud. Don't remember the cost. Awesome experience.

37 minutes ago, dealerdave said:

I think that's a rather broad indictment of the expat community but I can't believe there's a large contingent of nationals or expats who would want to support this if it's as noisy as others have said but he's welcome to try.

I misspoke . ...Should have said "There are a few gringos in this town" 

If you read the posts about noise it's a big issue with a few gringos, every few months they post on this board about noise.. " What !!!! Noise in Mexico you say..."

They want it be just like their village NOB. At 9pm roll up the carpet and turn off the lights ...

I am one of those terrible Gringos that do not like this type of noise.  The airboat they had before was very unpleasant to hear, so this is another No vote.  What about one of those river row boats that are used to see the Grand Tetons in the states?  They hold several people, are operated by one person at the oars and are, of course very quiet.  It would be much more pleasant for the residents as well as the ones partaking of the ride.  It really isn't necessary to have noise pollution in order to enjoy nature.

16 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

What's this mean?

A lot of people didn't like the boat and cut the wires to the bilge pumps (pumps for pumping water out of the boat) and punched a hole in the bottom, causing it to sink. Even then, before the gasoline price increases it was not profitable because of the fuel consumption but they could break even for reservations of 4 or more and wanted to continue for those parties. It cost them $5000 USD to replace the engine after the sinking so they fired everyone who worked for the company and had to sell the boat at an additional $3000 USD loss rather than risk even more losses from a subsequent sabotage. It is not known for sure who sunk it, but the Mexicans loved the boat and only the Gringos  (who said they wanted it quiet in Mexico) complained about it.

Look I understand some folks won't like it but its going to happen just like the year round traffic on the highway these days. We have been discovered folks. Civilization is here including air boats.  Note I could live without it but its not for  me to say no or is it??

I would vote no but people will do what they want.  The malecon and lake area has lost its quiet and peacefulness, starting with zumba classes blaring out noise in the morning, drummers in the amphitheater in the evening, the car stereos, dogs barking, etc etc. Unfortunately the only time you can really enjoy the bird song and peaceful reflection is between 7 and 8 am.   

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I misspoke . ...Should have said "There are a few gringos in this town" 

If you read the posts about noise it's a big issue with a few gringos, every few months they post on this board about noise.. " What !!!! Noise in Mexico you say..."

They want it be just like their village NOB. At 9pm roll up the carpet and turn off the lights ...

You have to get out more TelsZ4 - people with money, Mexican or anywhere in the world, like stable tranquility and security, and they are willing to spend a lot of money to achieve that. Noise is the sound of poverty, and the very poorest are forced to live in the noisiest areas, which greatly affects the health of themselves and their children. Noise is a form of pollution, and there is a major effort in Mexico, and around the world, to reduce it.

And not to be totally negative, my proposal is for a non-profit to petition the Federal government to allow floating islands (Chinampas), near the shore to grow cut flowers, and reproduction Chapala poleboats take people out to buy arm loads of fresh flowers for their loved ones or lost ones. There could be singing involved too - not my call. The only tangle point is way to safely load and unload passengers. Not sure how many gringos are romantic enough to take a ride, but I'll bet the local, urban and international wedding event planners would be very pleased. Chapala tourism would be pleased. An ancient Mexican solution to a today Mexico problem (how to make pesos, and attract tourists).

A definite no from me. I happen to live very close to the lake, in an area chosen for its tranquility. The people around here have traded off the convenience of village life for the peace and quiet. When I say people, most of my neighbors are Mexicans, and they all have the same rationale for having property here. They hate the noise as much as us gringos, but are too polite to make a fuss about it.

The last airboat thing was an abomination for us. Where we used to sit looking at the lake and socializing in the evening, we were forced back into our houses with the windows closed. That thing was so loud we couldn't talk to each other. I hope and pray it won't return.

Archived