Chapala.com Webboard

YEA 228!!!!!

A dedicated team of volunteers spayed and neutered a total of 228 dogs and cats at this spring's Operación Amor Spay Neuter Clinic.  The clinic was held Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A big thank you to everyone who participated.

Thanks. Today we did 41 cats and about 70 dogs. We might have broken the cat record. Yippee. :D

Jim Bowie, the answer is yes and no.  I decided it is of general interest to the larger community so it remains here.  Whether you have pets or not, this community effort benefits all.

A reasonable question, hope you all find this a reasonable answer.

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:
16 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

Jim Bowie, the answer is yes and no.  I decided it is of general interest to the larger community so it remains here.  Whether you have pets or not, this community effort benefits all.

I find it a very reasonable answer. When I saw Jim's question I thought the same as MC. You do not need to be a pet lover or owner to thank volunteers who work so hard to reduce the numbers of hungry, sick, and injured animals on our streets. Even if someone does not care about the basic humanity of the issue, a spay/neuter program is the only way to effectively prevent too many unwanted animals from being born only to suffer and die.

50 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

Agreed. Maybe my wording should have been;  Does this belong under the pet/animal section, also? :D

3 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

Thanks, Mod-2. It is a tremendous effort and the organization of it all is actually quite mind-boggling. I very much enjoy this volunteer opportunity in which I help owners to register their pets and to check them out after recovery. A good friend of mine serves in the role I like to call the "surgery expediter." She keeps track of what is happening on four or five operating tables and calls for animals who are in the "on deck" pool, taking into account if the next table "at bat" needs a cat, a small dog, or a big dog. It's all pretty amazing. 

If if you'd like to volunteer next time, let us know. There are two local organizations: Operación Amor working in the Chapala municipality and Companions and Compassion (formerly Operación Compasión) working in the Jocotepec municipality. Many volunteers work with both groups.   

1 minute ago, HarryB said:

I agree this effort needs as much press as possible. How does one make a donation to the cause?

Harry - Carolyn Cothran handles this. She asked that you call her. I will PM her number to you.

I am enjoying reading this web-board, particularly as it relates to pets.  I currently live in Florida, and also assist with the local poodle rescue, and enjoy the company of two standard poodle rescues.  I soon hope to seriously start looking for a rental home in the Lake Chapala area...if a rental exists that accepts an 80-pound and 60-pound poodle, and two kitties, can't move without them. :)  I applaud those that help with the rescued animals in the Chapala area.  If you could post a donation link (PayPal ideally), then I would be happy to donate.

$200 MXN pays for one dog or cat to be spayed or neutered with Operacion Amor.  We would gratefully accept any and all donations as we have not done much fundraising in the past.  If you are interested in donating, you can contact Cameron Peters at 376-766-4341 or zo-anna@hotmail.com or me, Carolyn Cothran at cgcothran1@yahoo.com.

THANK you so much, volunteers for helping all of those precious fur babies!  I appreciate your long hours or hard work and dedication.

Hugs,

Valerie :)

Although I haven't volunteered much regularly due to a shoulder problem, I have worked the spay/neuter clinics many times in the past.  It is probably the most rewarding volunteer activity I have been involved with at Lakeside.  If you like cats and dogs, I strongly encourage you to volunteer with one of the two groups mentioned (or both.)

Unfortunately, the numbers of street dogs are growing in Chapala.  Does this program also apply to the street dogs?  Many of them appear very happy and are mostly sweet dogs, and surviving fairly well on the streets  (?¿).  Most look like they are not starving in the least, specially if you look at the most notorious local perro callejero named Negro (he is gigantic!) but probably the majority of the males need neutering and the few females lurking around severely need spaying. But sincerely thanks so much to those working so hard on this project, it sounds like it was quite successful this year!

21 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Unfortunately, the numbers of street dogs are growing in Chapala.  Does this program also apply to the street dogs? 

In the past several individuals have collected known street dogs and brought them to the clinic. I didn't hear about anyone this time, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It takes a special dedication since the dogs must be kept overnight without food, brought to the clinic, and watched for a couple of days to make sure there are no problems. They can then be returned to their old haunts. 

Archived