Chapala.com Webboard

SMOKE HOUSE

artsnob

We went last night, The pulled pork, with zesty not to sweet BBQ sauce was great, my friend had salmon with crème sauce and pistachio seved with almost Greek salad and potatoes, also bread with salsa and butter, The owners are charming and the service great, also the best tamarind margaritas I have had Lakeside,  This place is a keeper, the official opening is today 8 to 8.....

We just came from there for lunch. Julio, the affable waiter, said that there specialty was the pork ribs, and that they would be ready from the smoker in 10 minutes. I ordered the ribs (400 grams) plate. I got four ribs thick with meat. The meat was tender and the sauce was minimally sweet, tangy and excellent. It came with sides of cole slaw and a small amount of fries. The slaw was ok, not bad nor excellent. My wife had the Cesar salad with chicken. The salad didn't come with chicken strips but with small chunks which my wife said made it easier to eat. Her opinion was that the salad was ok and that the dressing probably came from a bottle and was not freshly made.

My ribs plate was 185 pesos, as good tasting as the ribs were, Adelita's offer a better value with their half rack of ribs, although I like the Smoke House's BBQ sauce much better. My wife's salad was 95 pesos and would much preferred freshly made dressing.

The menu has an extensive listing of hamburgers for you burger fans. I never order a burger at a restaurant because as one "who does not cook", even I can make a hamburger. 

Julio, who was the waiter, is an older man and is very nice and speaks ingles well. We also met one of the owners who came out to check on us. He too was friendly and spoke ingles well.

The Smoke House is closed on Wednesdays and otherwise open from 12 to 7 pm.

We will go again and try a steak and a chicken dish.

Haha, yeah I should have complimented Ken on his unusually good directions. I thought I inferred it but obviously not. How many times have people told me "it's about 2 blocks from Oxxo" and here in PV there are usually 5 or 6 Oxxos in the same general area. Almost as bad with Pemex.

We went on Tuesday evening and were the only table at about 6:30pm. Two of us ordered the salmon with pesto (which was a black olive-based pesto, rather than basil/walnut) and two had the chicken fried chicken cutlets. The chef brought us a small sample of the brisket from the previous Sunday (they smoke on Sundays) just for us to try, since it is not on the daily menu, and it was very tender and flavorful. Service was provided by a nice young man who, despite obvious inexperience, did his best and we did what we could to help smooth out the newness. We definitely will go back and hope that customers will give them a try. And, yes, they are doing brisket for Saint Patrick's Day this Friday.

Went there on Thurs.  At 5:30 wait for half an hour and had still not gotten a menu or anyone to take our drink order so we left. the older gentleman cleaning tables had to ask his wife to get up from a table where she was drinking with friends to come help him.  Seems like this may be more of a social thing than a business for the owners. Went to the Brew House got our drinks and ribs in 10 minutes at half the price.

• Like 1

We were there the same night.  Two reservations for 10 really stretched their abilities.  We did wait just over an hour for our food and yes, it took awhile to get drinks.  I understand they were a cook short that night but the wait staff needs some direction to keep things moving.like taking drink orders and bringing them in a timely matter.  It took 15 minutes to get a glass of water.  We were a party of 10 and noticed smaller parties that were seated later were served earlier.  I'm sure they wanted to serve all meals to our table at the same time, which they did.  Unfortunately, that meant some dishes were not hot or even very warm when served.  The chicken fried chicken would have been good had it come with a country gravy but it came with about a teaspoon of what appeared to be skim milk drizzled on it.  Came with fries though the menu called for mashed potatoes.  We all gave our meals a 5 on a scale of 1-10 but would like to give it another shot once they have some of the newness kinks worked out.  They WERE interested in feedback and I know they were overwhelmed Thursday night.  We had made reservations in person 5 days earlier but they did not have a record of it even though I watched him write it down and tell one of the owners at the time.   

• 1 year later...

I have eaten twice at The Smokehouse recently and think it is very good.  I particularly loved their brisket....Excellent.

I will try their hamburgers next as they look wonderful and a large group that was there when I saw the burgers said they were as good as they looked when asked how they tasted.

The brisket is expensive for the portion but the hamburgers are a good pirce.

Meals come with two sides.  Their onion rings were very tasty and crisp.

The reason brisket is expensive is easy. USDA Choice Angus briskets cost about $220p/kilo at Costco, which is where Smokehouse buys them. You will lose 40-45% of that raw weight after being smoked so $220 cost goes to about $400p/k, not counting the cost of labor and smoking wood and profit.

Excellent point. While I continue to be alarmed at the price of raw beef, considering there is an overload of it up north, if you want to buy a rib steak at Tony's ($600 a kilo), fuggedaboudit. Caesar said it is too expensive to carry anymore. The New York cuts are $560/k, so any restaurant serving quality beef is going to have killer high prices. Which makes Tony's arrerchera at his new place at $189 both the most expensive cut on the menu, and the best piece of meat around.

Last week, prime NY's at Costco were $749/K which is $16.61/lb US at current rates. In March, the same were $499/K and the peso was 18.50 so that was $12.26/lb US. In May, the Austin TX Costco had the same for $13.99/lb.

4 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Last week, prime NY's at Costco were $749/K which is $16.61/lb US at current rates. In March, the same were $499/K and the peso was 18.50 so that was $12.26/lb US. In May, the Austin TX Costco had the same for $13.99/lb.

Where is my Time Machine?

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, tomgates said:

In Austin how many competitors does Costco have?  And how many in Guadalajara?  Methinks competition tends to keep prices down, but what do I know?

In Austin, there are several boutique butcher shops selling aged prime beef and they are way more expensive than Costco. Just a historical note here. Costco only started selling Prime grade beef back in the depth of the 08-09 recession when packers had excess inventory on hand when demand from high-end steakhouses evaporated. Costco stepped into that void. Also, Costco's in Texas carry prime angus briskets vs choice angus here in Guadalajara. Just to bring the discussion back to brisket!

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

In Austin, there are several boutique butcher shops selling aged prime beef and they are way more expensive than Costco. Just a historical note here. Costco only started selling Prime grade beef back in the depth of the 08-09 recession when packers had excess inventory on hand when demand from high-end steakhouses evaporated. Costco stepped into that void. Also, Costco's in Texas carry prime angus briskets vs choice angus here in Guadalajara. Just to bring the discussion back to brisket!

Good points. I was thinking of H E B, Kroger, maybe Randall's if they still exist. They tend to keep each other's prices in line vs. little competition here in Mexico. I'm aware they don't handle a lot of prime cuts.

Had some nice classic braised beef short ribs last night. I think they cooked for 3 hours. Tender as butter, lots of fat on them, lots of flavour, left in fridge overnight, then remove the hardened fat in the morning. I bought them, once again from the meat and seasonal vegetable shop across from Soriana, on the same road as the municipal slaughterhouse. The young lady there speaks English.They were inexpensive, and always busy considering how close they are to Soriana. They also sell fresh killed chickens, backyard raised, and real, fresh eggs by the kilo. I saw some brisket there, but it is not a typical cut, and if you don't tell them ahead of time, they will remove the fat. Their tenderloin is also highly recommended, also their fresh , unsmoked pork bellies. Eighter smoke them yourself for bacon, or make Chinese crispy pork

I think the price for the short ribs was 149 pesos per kilo. They sell prime rib steaks there, bone in, but they will be tough without dry aging.