Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Attack Liability?

pedro malo

This is a legal question regarding a hypothetical situation regarding liability in Mexico for a dog attack.  Lets say a gringo owns a home in Mexico and he invites Mexican family members to come live in his house while abroad.  One of the family members has a Pitbull Terrier and the dog gets out of it's enclosure and attacks or God forbid, maims or kills an adult or child walking down the street in front of the house minding their own business.  Who is legally liable in such a horrific situation?  The Mexican owner of the animal or the gringo owner of the property who is allowing them to live in his home free of charge? 

Any ideas?

Of course the dog owner, they have a duty to keep the dog under control at all times. But - as in NOB, once lawyers get involved, they will somehow try to get the property owner involved because they most often want to be able to attach liens on real property and assets.

Assuming this question isn't just hypothetical my question would be why someone would want a house sitter whose animal is so iffy they would be concerned about getting sued for dog bite.  That breed is a known risk:

2015 dog bite fatality statistics
  • 34 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2015. ...
  • Together, pit bulls (28) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 91% of the total recorded deaths in 2015. ...

8 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Assuming this question isn't just hypothetical my question would be why someone would want a house sitter whose animal is so iffy they would be concerned about getting sued for dog bite.  That breed is a known risk:

Thanks Maincoons.

My stepdaughter, husband and granddaughters have moved into our home to take care of it while we are NOB.  Last weekend they were gifted a Pitbull puppy and I was not consulted.  Just wanted to get some laymen/legal opinions on liability before I have to make everyone cry.  I don't want that breed at my home for the kids sake or the publics.  I'm very much aware of the risk and will nip it in the bud.  Hope this answers your question and thanks again.

10 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Of course the dog owner, they have a duty to keep the dog under control at all times. But - as in NOB, once lawyers get involved, they will somehow try to get the property owner involved because they most often want to be able to attach liens on real property and assets.

Thank you CHILLIN.

I thought it would be something close to what you describe.  I imagine the focus would definitely fall on the property owner once they discover the dog owner does not have a pot to piss in.  I will confirm specifics with an attorney once I get back Lakeside just to be clear on this point.  Thanks for your opinion and confirmation. 

If you have a pit bull puppy and raise it with care and training, there's little risk that it will become vicious and attack. My niece in the past years has had four pit bulls that are/were sweethearts. Gentle, and they lived/live in a home with cats.

Some people have pit bulls that they train to be attack dogs. There are those kinds of people.

Look up unbiased information on pit bulls. It would be awful if you got rid of a perfectly nice puppy because of the people repeat the myth that they're vicious.

We once adopted a retired grey hound after his winning days were over from a nearby race track. He was a wonderful, shy happy, intelligent dog. However, we didn't know all about his early training. Good that he was on a leash because when we took him to the vet he lunged at a small dog. He was trained to go after small animals. Learning this, we were very careful. Turned out, he loved and made friends with every large dog in the neighborhood.

I hope your puppy doesn't lose its loving home. Keep in mind that In news stories of dog attacks, the dogs are often labelled "pit bulls"  when they're some other breed entirely.

Lexy

Remember, it is not the dog but the owner who is dangerous. Raise a dog, any breed, to be aggressive and it will be. On the other hand, raise it to be gentle and loving, and it will Pits were raised to be with children and are known as "nanny dogs" due to this.

So what - they brought a dog into the house without permission. That is disrespectful and immature. That is enough reason alone to ask them to get rid of the dog. If he lets them get away with it this time, there will be many more incidents to follow.

Maybe Lexy or luvsdawgs would like to adopt a pit bull puppy?

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

So what - they brought a dog into the house without permission. That is disrespectful and immature. That is enough reason alone to ask them to get rid of the dog. If he lets them get away with it this time, there will be many more incidents to follow.

Thanks for backing me up CHILLIN.  This is what I was looking for, opinions from my community.  I'm returning in April and will evaluate this situation on the ground and in person.

Thanks to all of you who bothered to offer an opinion.  You are all a wonderful and valuable resource and what makes this community feel like family to me.

Sincerely,

pm

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

It may be debatable about the safety of this breed but as Chillin points out what is not debatable is that house sitters should not bring any pet into the house sit without the permission of the owner.  Whether the dog bites or not there's also the problem of puppies being very prone to chew on furniture, shoes and stuff like that and to have accidents before being house trained.  Speaking for ourselves, we certainly would not want someone to bring any pet, dog or otherwise, into our house without permission.

I agree the family was wrong to bring a puppy into a home that they're house sitting without the permission of the house owner. Yes, chewed furniture, pee on rugs, all possible if puppy doesn't get immediate training. If I were Pedro, and he seems not to want to upset his grand kids by evicting the puppy, I'd make it clear to the adults involved that any ruin to the household, it's their responsibility to pay for damages.

I didn't think the mere sight of a pit bull puppy required a leap to the probability of a law suit coming up. Are these people in Pedro's house going to be there long enough for the puppy to gain thirty pounds and turn into an attack dog, for sure?

Anyhow, he asked for advice and got it, said thanks, and he sounds like a thoughtful guy. All good.

Lexy

Archived