Chapala.com Webboard

Is dialling 800 numbers from Mexico to the US still a toll.

sm1mex

They were not the last time I checked a year or so ago.  One has to use a unique 800 # for each one you wish to connect to in the states and you where and perhaps still are charged for the call to the US border. Yet if you were to phone the same US company using their local # and not their 800 number, you do not have to pay.

This is how you have to dial toll-free numbers from here to U.S. or Canada...

Calling from Mexico to US or Canadian Toll Free numbers:
For 800 numbers: Dial 001-880 & the seven digit number
For 866 numbers: Dial 001-883 & the seven digit number
For 877 numbers: Dial 001-882 & the seven digit number
For 888 numbers: Dial 001-881 & the seven digit number

If you have the $599 peso infinitum package you get unlimited toll free calls to the USA and Canada. I believe if you use the converson in the suegarn post you won't have a charge with that package. Of course we are supposed to get fast internet (except in W. Ajijic) for that price as well as no charge calls to cell phones and calling no charge across Mexico.

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

If you have the $389 package, you WILL be charged..... which is where Skype comes in handy

The way it was explained to me years ago was that for 800 numbers to the US and Canada, we still had to pay long-distance charges within Mexico to the US border.  Now that long-distance calls within Mexico and to Canada and the US are free for Telmex landline customers - including the $389 package - calling 800 numbers the way suegarn explained should be free for them also, no?

I just got back from Telmex. Nothing has changed when phoning a US or Canadian 800 number. And that is regardless of whether you have the $389 or $599 package when phoning a US or Canadian 800 number you have to use a special or different 800 number than you do when in the US or Canada. And yes you do have to pay an additional rate when using these special 800 numbers provided by Telmex to allow you to phone the US or Canadian 800 number.

23 hours ago, johanson said:

I thought you had to pay that extra fee for 800 #s to the states regardless of the package you subscribe to. At least that is the way it used to be.

Those charges haven't shown up on my bill yet and I called some a coupleof months ago.

All I know is that I was told that if you have to dial 001-880-1234567, 001-881-1234567, 001-882-1234567 or 001-883-1234567 to get through to that 800 # up north then you have to pay an extra charge to Telmex. I was told that years ago when I checked and again today when I checked.

Now maybe if the US 800 # is meant to reach persons in Mexico, then maybe you can dial the 800  # as shown in the US and not above and then perhaps one can get through for free. I do not know

All I know is that I have the 'Sin LImite' package on my phone from Telcel, and the 389 pesos Telmex phone/internet package.  I've been using my home phone and my cell to call all numbers in Canada and the U.S. for months, including those toll-free extensions that I posted with absolutely no long distance charges on either of my bills!

I hope what they have told me over the years is wrong and that you are right. Luckily I have not had the need to phone an 800 number of any type up north. I always use the local number.

Archived