Chapala.com Webboard

New Higher TelMex/Infinitum Speeds

I just happen to have a Telmex ad in front of me. (I can only get 10megs down)

10 megs $389

20 megs $499

40 megs $599

100 megs $999

200 megs $1,499

I would be happy with 20 to 40 megs, but I can do just fine with my 10 megs

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, johanson said:

I just happen to have a Telmex ad in front of me. (I can only get 10megs down)

10 megs $389

20 megs $499

40 megs $599

100 megs $999

200 megs $1,499

I would be happy with 20 to 40 megs, but I can do just fine with my 10 megs

I am very happy with 10 down but would like to get faster upload than .6.  It takes a while to move a file from here to NOB.  Most folks don't need up.  Telecable (when its not too busy) gives me 5 down and 2 up which is as fast as they offer for new customers right now.

17 hours ago, lcscats said:

I am very happy with 10 down but would like to get faster upload than .6.  It takes a while to move a file from here to NOB.  Most folks don't need up.  Telecable (when its not too busy) gives me 5 down and 2 up which is as fast as they offer for new customers right now.

Have you considered using Dropbox for large files?

Historically, upload speeds are 1/10th the download speed, but I didn't get that for years. Now my up is 25% of my down. It might be worth contacting tech support in Mexico City to see if yours can be "fixed", lcs.

I'd have to add that using DropBox or WeTransfer for large files is a good idea, but the uploads won't be any faster than the available upload speed.

Dropbox has the advantage if you need to send a file to multiple places because you can send it to Dropbox and it can be downloaded to multiple places simultaneously at a high speed.  Dropbox also has the advantage that it will restart loading if interrupted.  

I leave my laptop running and upload all night when I have big files 

On 3/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, Azzurro said:

Kurtvidal, you need to report your line to Telmex so they can check it .

Reported to office in ajijic 1 week ago.  She said they are still not finished in the brisas area and to wait.  Called 800 number last night.  They did some tweaking ad got it from 2.8mps too 3.4 and said a tech needs to check line going into my house.  Guess we'll see. Thx

Again, almost pointless going to talk to anybody at the Ajijic TelMex office. Call Mexico City support for better help and more accurate information. Saying "don't call, wait" is another slough-off... as it has been pointed out several times, most people who have called from Brisas or Ch. Haciendas saw a huge jump in speed. As I pointed out earlier, many of the modems need a tweak that only Mexico City can make. So don't wait. Call 01-800-123-2222.

Computerguy, I haven't called Telmex support CDMX for some time. Could you explain which option number you have to push and how to politely ask for a tech who speaks English. Maybe some people are under the impression that they only offer Spanish support. My favourite tech there is the one with a fake Texan drawl! I say fake, because he is far from mastering it.

I'm in lower Riberas - I've noticed my speed is gradually dropping off from almost 10 to 7.5 lately, is that a tradeoff for the higher speeds elsewhere? Is there any point calling Mexico City and if so can they do the "modem tweaking" remotely?

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Again, almost pointless going to talk to anybody at the Ajijic TelMex office. Call Mexico City support for better help and more accurate information. Saying "don't call, wait" is another slough-off... as it has been pointed out several times, most people who have called from Brisas or Ch. Haciendas saw a huge jump in speed. As I pointed out earlier, many of the modems need a tweak that only Mexico City can make. So don't wait. Call 01-800-123-2222.

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Computerguy, I haven't called Telmex support CDMX for some time. Could you explain which option number you have to push and how to politely ask for a tech who speaks English. Maybe some people are under the impression that they only offer Spanish support. My favourite tech there is the one with a fake Texan drawl! I say fake, because he is far from mastering it.

The menu options change weekly, but here's what I do. Once you get the automated machine, punch "1". Each time you get a commercial or a recorded operator, punch "1'" again. (Often, the commercials won't skip ahead when you do this, and you have to listen to the whole thing, but sometimes they do.) Eventually, you will recognize a live person on the other end (maybe 5 or 6 punches), and you can say "Ingles, por favor" or something similar. They all understand the word English, too, in English, and they will transfer you to a small team of English-speakers.

Sometimes they will zone out, and when you have asked for English, they will ask you in Spanish for your phone number. Just repeat your English request.

19 minutes ago, snowyela said:

I'm in lower Riberas - I've noticed my speed is gradually dropping off from almost 10 to 7.5 lately, is that a tradeoff for the higher speeds elsewhere? Is there any point calling Mexico City and if so can they do the "modem tweaking" remotely?

I don't really know what affects the speed this way; there are far too many suspects like infrastructure, ongoing changes and repairs, etc). But it always comes back. Yes, CDMX does the tweaking remotely: they can see the settings in your modem. The local office (Ajijic) has no one who can do anything like that.

Archived