Chapala.com Webboard

Renew Vehicle Temporary Import Permit

Alan2017

Hello!

I have a question regarding the renewal of my Vehicle Temporary Import Permit. 

My TIP is about to expire on March 13th 2017, I have dual citizenship, however I entered Mexico as a US citizen and my FMM is about to expire too.

Can I get a temporary resident card in order to extend my days and therefore extend my TIP? am I still on time to do this process? or is there another alternative way to extend my immigration status?

Thank you!

You will have to drive out of Mexico, then return as a US citizen and get a new FMM and a new Importada Temporal.  

As a Mexican citizen, and one who will be treated as a Mexican while in Mexico if you have any trouble, you are kind of twisting the law to your advantage in doing this; as I am sure that you know.  Have you considered avoiding potential trouble by selling your US car NoB and buying a replacement at your home in Mexico?  You can drive a Mexican car in the USA for up to a year at a time with no hassle, no fees, no deposits; so long as you are a resident of Mexico just visiting and touring in the USA.

File this under "I just don't know", but....  I'm not to sure that you, as a Mexican citizen (no matter than you are also dual) can actually, legally GET a Temporary Import Permit for a foreign vehicle. I do know that a Mexican citizen cannot.

EDIT: Yes, they can!

It is possible if you have Mexican family and could be done but would be expensive to get documents in 10 days, but yes possible if you were not born in Mexico as then we could change your tourist to temporary for family reasons but would need parents to sign papers and need their ID and your apostilled birth cert, etc. not impossible but alot in so little time assuming that your situation is such. 

A person with a Mexican passport is to enter Mexico using their MX passport. From my web site:

• Mexican Nationals Living Abroad may obtain a TIP.  As well as proving work abroad for a year or more, they must submit the document issued by the immigration authorities of the foreign country proving they are a permanent or temporary residents abroad by the legal authority of that country in accordance with international agreements to which Mexico is a party. 

Mexican citizens with no official proof of citizenship have always applied for FMM tourist cards at the Mexicali and TJ airport before flying south into Mexico. The INM desks at these airports do not accept Mexican citizens as such, their US birth certificate etc.,  with no proof of citizenship and required them to get a 180 day FMM tourist card. I was  in line with them to get a FMM when I needed them. Most where US citizens but born to Mexican Nationals who´s parents did not register their birth at a  Mexician Consulate in the US. In other words to the INM they were simply US citizens.

6 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Obviously, they were not Mexican Citizens at that time, as they had not been registered. Just plain American Citizens,  requiring an FMM to travel in Mexico, like all American Citizens that are visitors. Only Mexican Citizens do not require an FMM. And, can get a TIP good for 6 months in a year, if they reside outside Mexico, with proof..

Technically they are dual citizens. I chatted with many of  them while waiting as Volaris required a 2 hour early arrival at airports for domestic flights years ago and they were US citizens born to Mexican Nationals. One family had 6  kids in tow and all the children needed 180 day FMM tourist cards as per the INM official I was standing in line behind them at the INM desk. Everytime I got a FMM card there were Mexicans getting them also. This is the rule: proof of Mexican citizenship or get a FMM tourist card to go south.

Archived