Chapala.com Webboard

Ordering at Amazon.com.mx

Bisbee Gal

We lived in Ajijic 2008-2012; Amazon.com.mx wasn't available then (or we hadn't heard about it).

We are in process of moving back to Ajijic and want to use Amazon.com.mx.  

We plan to use a US issued VISA credit card, which will have our US address on it as the billing address (even though we're paperless).  

Will this present a problem?  Do we need a MX credit card for online orders at Amazon.com.mx?  And for that matter at Costco.com.mx or Mercado Libre?  

TIA.  

34 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We lived in Ajijic 2008-2012; Amazon.com.mx wasn't available then (or we hadn't heard about it).

We are in process of moving back to Ajijic and want to use Amazon.com.mx.  

We plan to use a US issued VISA credit card, which will have our US address on it as the billing address (even though we're paperless).  

Will this present a problem?  Do we need a MX credit card for online orders at Amazon.com.mx?  And for that matter at Costco.com.mx or Mercado Libre?  

TIA.  

I use my U.S. credit card to place orders on Amazon.com.mx and have not had any issues. I have not ordered anything online from the Costco in Mexico but again, use my U.S. credit card for instore shopping. I have not ordered from Mercado Libre.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

Usually if you you a CC with Costco they charge you more. Does that happen with you?

If you shop at a Costco store in Mexico they will give you a 2% discount if you pay in cash. If you use a credit card they don't give you the discount.

We have purchased from Costco on line and there was no charge for using a credit card.

Before ordering from Amazon.mx also check Amazon US. Not everything can be delivered to Mexico, but if your item can be delivered and your entire order is $65usd or more it is free shipping about 90% of the time. Items from Amazon US are almost always cheaper.

Thanks all.  We have shopped at Costco stores in MX, but not online.  And yes we used cash at the MX Costo stores in past.

Good tip Joyful re: checking for items at both US and MX Amazon sites.

Yes Mexiclady we have cc's that do not tack on foreign transaction fees; that's a good reminder for others to check whether their cards do or don't.  

9 hours ago, Joyfull said:

Before ordering from Amazon.mx also check Amazon US. Not everything can be delivered to Mexico, but if your item can be delivered and your entire order is $65usd or more it is free shipping about 90% of the time. Items from Amazon US are almost always cheaper.

Mexico stuff has 16% IVA tax in price. 

If you have an Amazon account, you can shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.com.mx using the same account and charging method.

One thing to be aware of; if the product listing says "Importacion" be careful. It may be coming from USA, or China. It can take a long time, and in the case of China, may end up in the Mexican postal service. I have had two such orders disappear without trace, with the last tracking info from Shanghai. In both cases I got a full refund from Amazon.

I've got a small Amazon U.S. order sitting in customs in GDL for now over a week and counting being held up with no reason given. 

I'd never try to order anything from the U.S. outside of Amazon because I know if the order is diverted or refused by Mexican customs I'll get my money back.  However, if much of this sort of thing is going on I'd wonder just how profitable Amazon's business will be here.  If this sort of thing makes it unprofitable will they hang around?  

As a learning exercise, I added a Canadian address to my Prime list and then started checking the sort of stuff we normally buy from Amazon to see how many would ship to either of the addresses.  Only about 25% would ship to Mexico compared to Canada.  I can't see us using Amazon U.S. much here this being the case.

I then checked the same items on Amazon Mexico and only found about half of the items and all had much higher prices.

The "import fees" on my small order ($100 plus "fees") of some stuff for my fish ponds from Amazon amounted to 23 percent.  That did not include any shipping charge because the order was big enough under Prime.

Just FYI.

I've made a number of purchases from Amazon US and never had a problem. The import fee that they charge at purchase time is an estimate and they probably estimate high. Three or four weeks after I've received the product I usually get a refund back from Amazon for a portion of the import fee and it has usually been around 50% of what they charged. They usually estimate 7 - 10 days delivery when I've ordered, but it has often arrived in 3 or 4 days.

A lot of things, like Amazon parcels, are shipped by air. There are a lot of things prohibited by international agreement -such as any liquids. Then the Mexican customs has their own quirks - no raw wood or poppy seeds for example. It is possible to obtain special import permits for many items, but they have to be in place before your item arrives. As explained to me by DHL, the import permit process takes over 2 weeks, but Mexican customs returns the item for reshipment back to its origin within two weeks. You have to find out before your order, don't trust the say so of the vendor. This may be a little unfair, but call Estafeta U.S.A. in Laredo and describe or send a picture of what you want to order. If they give all clear - you are OK to buy from Amazon. Or use Estafeta Laredo service, shipping to iShop. Anything else is a crap shoot.

Well I was hoping to avoid this kind of thing by using Amazon.  What I ordered wasn't liquids.  It wasn't made in China either.  Not available here or I would have bought it here.

DHL's tracking made no mention of a two week hold up.

I appreciate your suggestion, just not worth the hassle to me particularly after paying all those taxes. Guess we'll just stick to the tried and true "mule" system.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

A lot of things, like Amazon parcels, are shipped by air. There are a lot of things prohibited by international agreement -such as any liquids. Then the Mexican customs has their own quirks - no raw wood or poppy seeds for example. It is possible to obtain special import permits for many items, but they have to be in place before your item arrives. As explained to me by DHL, the import permit process takes over 2 weeks, but Mexican customs returns the item for reshipment back to its origin within two weeks. You have to find out before your order, don't trust the say so of the vendor. This may be a little unfair, but call Estafeta U.S.A. in Laredo and describe or send a picture of what you want to order. If they give all clear - you are OK to buy from Amazon. Or use Estafeta Laredo service, shipping to iShop. Anything else is a crap shoot.

Yes Estafeta USA only ships by land and everything is sent to Laredo and then into Customs across the river. Usually 2 days and it's out. Sometimes the tracking doesn't show it out but then suddenly it's in SLP or even GDL and then down here to PVR from GDL and delivered the next day. Knock on wood we have never had anything held or refused. Have had several problems with Amazon US just as MC is reporting but you always do get your money back at least. We normally get our shipment in a week after it hits Laredo.

8 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

A basic question: 

If I order from Amazon Mexico, other than those items marked Importacion, will the items come from within MX, hence skipping any customs charges and delays?  

Yes, it ships from their warehouse near Mexico City.  My most recent purchase this past Sunday arrived today.

21 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I've got a small Amazon U.S. order sitting in customs in GDL for now over a week and counting being held up with no reason given. 

I'd never try to order anything from the U.S. outside of Amazon because I know if the order is diverted or refused by Mexican customs I'll get my money back.  However, if much of this sort of thing is going on I'd wonder just how profitable Amazon's business will be here.  If this sort of thing makes it unprofitable will they hang around?  

As a learning exercise, I added a Canadian address to my Prime list and then started checking the sort of stuff we normally buy from Amazon to see how many would ship to either of the addresses.  Only about 25% would ship to Mexico compared to Canada.  I can't see us using Amazon U.S. much here this being the case.

I then checked the same items on Amazon Mexico and only found about half of the items and all had much higher prices.

The "import fees" on my small order ($100 plus "fees") of some stuff for my fish ponds from Amazon amounted to 23 percent.  That did not include any shipping charge because the order was big enough under Prime.

Just FYI.

Your importation fee of 23% might include the 16% IVA and a brokerage fee. Not unusual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 9:42 PM, canmex87 said:

If you shop at a Costco store in Mexico they will give you a 2% discount if you pay in cash. If you use a credit card they don't give you the discount.

We have purchased from Costco on line and there was no charge for using a credit card.

Does Costco Mx honor the USA issued Costco Citicard and the associated perks?

The  Costco membership card is honored in any Costco, anywhere.  Acceptance of any particular credit card may vary from one country to another and may change, as has recently happened in the USA.  Cash is still king.

This week from AMazon US I received, bras, panties, Fruit of the Loom vneck xtra long tshirts, pajama nightgowns, perfume, jewlery and Baretrap sandals. Usually delivered in the very late afternoon via DHL.  All had to be signed for and none carried an importation fee or additional delivery cost - most were Prime items for shipping. 

I have found that if I search around a bit within an item category I can find what I want that ships to Mexico.  For instance I wanted a white bra but only the light blue and red ones came up as shipping to Mexico, so light blue it was.  Who knows why.

• 3 months later...

Archived