Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration papers at The boarder

dennis clark

Immigration paperwork, to my knowledge, is not available online UNLESS your intended destination is in the 'border area' and not the interior of Mexico. UPDATE: This is actually NOT true... there is a website for this. It can be found on this commercial site that has the link and some English translation to help with the process. See:  https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/mexicoFMMonline.php

To get your Visatante visa (180 tourist card) "at" the border all you will need is a few pesos and your US Passport.

NOTE: He could not be a Permanente or he would not have been able to get a vehicle import sticker online.

8 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If the has received the paperwork for his vehicle . Would he not had to have his visa first first..?

Short answer... no. When one gets their temporary vehicle import sticker online, one must, on another link one is sent to, get an immigration "authorization" number but that is NOT a visa.... just an 'intent' to get one at the border.

P.S.  and this applies to all forms of entry into Mexico.....  when you enter Mexico on a Visatante visa, your Passport CANNOT have an expiration date that falls within your 180-day limit. In other words, it cannot expire while you are authorized to be in Mexico. Found that out the hard way last year. Although I was only going to stay in Mexico for a couple of weeks, my Passport was going to expire about 4 months out into my 180 day limit. Had I not been warned (by a Post right here on this Forum!) I would have driven to the border for no good reason. As it was, I had to order a new Passport and pay an expedite fee as I was going to leave pronto.

And yes, after I heard this on the Board, I checked with the Mexican Consulate and they verified the 'new' rule.

Archived