Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular

Sonia

In Guanajuato State Seguro Popular is no longer available to Temporary Residents. Those who are Temporary Residents will keep their current policy until it expires but will not be able to renew. Other states may also be implementing this policy. If in another state and a TR and possible to obtain Seguro Popular you may wish to do so now. Fee structure may also change I am told.

22 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Still available to Permanente Residents?

yes in GTO state at least.

http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/afiliacion-al-seguro-popular-en-tu-localidad/CNPSS179

"National Commission for Social Protection in Health

Seguro Popular  Membership in your locality

Do not have health insurance? Are not you a beneficiary of any institution that provides social security? Are you interested in getting medical care for yourself and your family? Check the requirements and documents necessary to join and go to the Affiliation and Orientation Module closest to your home to join or join the Seguro Popular.

Required document
Valid official identification with photograph, only of the person who will be the holder of the family: INE Passport, Passport, Driver's License, Professional Certificate, National Military Service Card, Consular Registration, INAPAM Credential, temporary residence card or Permanent (for foreigners) "

One of the rules that are federal law and not área or state specific to be eligible to join the Seguro Popular.

http://www.seguro-popular.gob.mx/index.php/como-me-afilio/proceso-de-afiliacion/9-afiliacion/79-docs-val-afi

Mhttp://www.saludzac.gob.mx/home/images/SeguroPopular/FormatosPDF/CAUSES/4MANUALGSP.pdf

Manual del Gestor del Seguro
Popular del Sistema de Protección
Social en Salud

Insurance Manager's Manual
Seguro Popular Social Protection System
in Health

Servicios de Salud de Guanajuato [Secretaria de Salud - Seguro Popular] is breaking federal law by imposing this predjuiced rule on legal residents of Mexico. The above manual is federal law and all state "servicios de salud" must follow all of the laws and rules in it.

I know very well what the web site says. I also know I was informed confidentially weeks ago major changes were coming. Today, I called Seguro Popular main office in Mexico City and confirmed what I wrote. I also talked with the local Manager and a client today who is a TR was declined. The funding for SP is allocated to each state and is administered by the state.

22 hours ago, Sonia said:

I know very well what the web site says. I also know I was informed confidentially weeks ago major changes were coming. Today, I called Seguro Popular main office in Mexico City and confirmed what I wrote. I also talked with the local Manager and a client today who is a TR was declined. The funding for SP is allocated to each state and is administered by the state.

Sonia I don´t know who you talked to and it isn´t important anyway. What is important is anyone working for the Seguro Popular follow the federal laws.

Here is the federal law clearly stating ResidenteTemporales can join the Seguro Popular from the newest  MANUAL DE AFILIACION Y OPERACION 2016

"1.2. Affiliation of foreigners
Like Mexicans, foreigners with legal residence in the country who are not entitled to social security institutions, can apply to join the System, for this they must meet the requirements and documentation established in articles 77 bis 7 of the Law , 42 of the Regulations and numeral Twelve of the Guidelines.
Regular migratory situation in national territory. The first aspect to be taken into account to determine the origin of the affiliation of a foreigner is to verify their migratory situation in national territory. To this end, the operating personnel must request the interested party to present their immigration document (residence card) 3. According to the Law of the matter, there are several migration cards, however, considering the length of residence in national territory, for purposes of incorporation into the System, only the following will be accepted:
 temporary resident card;
 permanent resident card.
The affiliation of aliens presenting the regional visitor's migrant cards, visiting frontier workers and visitors for adoption purposes shall not be affiliated.4
It is important to note that immigration documents related to permanent residence (permanent resident card) do not include any validity, since the holders have acquired the right to reside in Mexico indefinitely.
1 The experts will be attached to the Superior Courts of Justice of the States, and in some cases, those belonging to universities. The corresponding Civil Registry will define who the authorized experts are.
2 In terms of article 546 of the Federal Code of Civil Procedure.
3 Previous immigration documents will continue to be accepted: Nonimmigrant, Immigrant, Immigrant form, as well as the migratory forms FM2 (Migrant Immigration Document) and FM3 (Non Immigrant Immigration Document), as long as they have not expired.
4 They will not be accepted by virtue of their temporality and special characteristics. In the case of the regional visitor card, your stay in national territory should not exceed more than three calendar days per visit. Those who carry the visitor's worker card enter the country because they have a temporary offer of temporary work, so in that case the employer must provide social security. The visitor for adoption purposes, is only authorized to stay because he is linked to an adoption process in Mexico. It should be noted that in terms of article 59 of the Migration Law, only the temporary and permanent residents will have the right to obtain the CURP from the Ministry of the Interior.
AFFILIATION AND OPERATION MANUAL
General Directorate of Affiliation and Operation SECTION I
I. Normative criteria.
Page: 1
During the validity of rights in the System by the affiliation or re-affiliation, foreigners should not be required to present the current immigration document."

http://seguro-popular.gob.mx/images/Contenidos/informacion/MANUAL DE AFILIACION Y OPERACION 2016.pdf

If your client was refused affiliation you could have gone with them and reported this government employee to the Federal Administration office in the building for not following the newest rules/laws published in 2016. You need to have all the dates, times, names and describe the incident. I have done it before and so has my wife, some of her family and some of our friends. The time has come to combate incompetence and corruption in the different governments.

Why do I think we have here yet another example of some bureaucrat making up his own laws?  Sonia appears to have checked this out carefully and I don't doubt she was told what she is reporting.  Alan's citation of the actual law is probably correct as well.

It is certainly not the first time we have seen this sort of thing from government here or for that matter anywhere else.  These guys bank on the fact the people being discriminated against are unlikely to have the resources or will to take them to court.

It might be a dumb local policy like a few years ago when they decided to deny foreigners.  This is an important issue I will fight and should win easily as there is no discrimination with the law here.  If this is happening we can do an amparo or renew people in Chapala using my address and then once they have their policy renewed for 3 years they can change back to Guanajuato. 

I was the one who challenged the local SP office 5 years ago when my husband was denied as was every expat here in SMA. I worked with the local office and with the main office in Mexico City. A letter was delivered to our house and resolved. 

Last Monday we met with the local director on this issue. She had her reasons for denying TR Seguro Popular. They were not valid but she also stated to give her 15 days to get answers. The instructions to her come from the state SP office. 

The local Seguro Popular staff have bent over backwards to accommodate my clients. No one has paid in 5 years for Seguro Popular and they are signed up usually within 15 minutes from when I enter the office. I also represent Seguro Popular at the many seminars we have in SMA called How to be Prepared for a Medical Emergency. The last one had about 100 people attending and our panel includes doctor, lawyers, Red Cross, head of a local private hospital etc. My point is local SP staff have been working hard to have as many expats as possible sign up and in support of me and my clients who total at least 1500. The issue comes from state level. I know about SP requirements likely as well as most anyone. I am not about to challenge them at this time knowing this will be resolved. Many times in Mexico one works quietly behind the scenes without a big bat. 

It would be very difficult in many countries as a temporary resident to obtain free healthcare, driver's license (which even a tourist can obtain in SMA), INAPAM cards etc. Mexico has its' warts but it also has many pluses.

I originally posted this simply as a heads up so others who are thinking of obtaining SP may want to do so now just incase there are country wide changes coming as I have been told changes may happen.

5 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

What exactly were those reasons, Sonia? TIA.

She stated because TR do not re-sign at end of 3 years as many are gone and intent is one to sign up for 3 years and renew many times. My husband politely stated does not make sense as others may not renew but best to await and see what happens mid-month. I can challenge them but thanks to our relationship I will not until we see what happens in a couple of weeks 

On 3/7/2017 at 5:10 PM, Mainecoons said:

Your efforts and information are greatly appreciated Sonia!

Thanks!!!

It pays to work quietly behind the scene when addressing issues in Mexico. I have seen time and again. Now if I could only teach this to my Canadian husband.:-)

As expected in GTO state Temporary Residents may again apply for Seguro Popular along with PR. Here at least, they are insisting on applicants having a clear copy of their birth certificate. I know the law states CURP or birth certificate but I can live with this better than no coverage. I encourage expats to please bring at least a copy of your birth certificate as often I see those who do not.

saludos

Sonia

Yes, your way is so much better Sonia. Persistence, politeness, and respect will go a lot further than quoting multiple laws. The bureaucracy in Mexico seems to think they have a little "wiggle room" on everything - the trick is to make it wiggle in your direction. The bureaucracy in Canada and the U.S.A. seems to be based on the principle that you cannot ever be fired for saying "no", but you can if you say "yes" to the wrong person.

• 8 months later...

My wife(Mexican citizen) and I will be moving to Culiacan, Sinaloa in January 2018. We plan to stay there for 4-6 months and then relocate to either SMA or Cuernavaca. We are leaning towards SMA but this post is causing me to have 2nd thoughts- I don't want to be end up somewhere without medical coverage. From your 3/7/17 posting, it sounds like the issue has been favorably resolved, is that accurate?

Aside from SP, what other medical coverage options are there for a TR  in SMA or Cuernavaca? I'm 71 years old and have no significant health issues other than high blood pressure that is completely controlled by my meds(Lisinopril.) Are there IMSS Drs and hospital(s) in SMA?  

Thank you for the very valuable and knowledgeable advice you  provide.

P.S. I tried to submit this Q yesterday, but I don't see it so I don't think it got posted-it It did, I apologize for duplicating!

The local Mex. consulate is telling me that I must start as TR, but that I can become a PR after 2 years since I'm married to Mex citizen. I always worry about getting mixed or conflicting info from the consulate, but I don't where else to turn??  It makes sense that I should be eligible for PR status based upon my marriage, but they are saying that is not the case. 

1 hour ago, Marshall Tandy said:

The local Mex. consulate is telling me that I must start as TR, but that I can become a PR after 2 years since I'm married to Mex citizen. I always worry about getting mixed or conflicting info from the consulate, but I don't where else to turn??  It makes sense that I should be eligible for PR status based upon my marriage, but they are saying that is not the case. 

Sir,

You do not need to deal with any consulate. Come as a tourist, then apply locally in Mexico for a PR. I will post more as I can find it, but I am sure someone will have more info.

EDIT: In your case I was wrong. You apply locally and are given a one year TR that you can renew for an additional year and after those two years you get a PR automatically. My family unity PR was not based on marriage like yours. It is all covered on Sonia's site that is linked on her first reply. Thank you, Sonia!

On 11/12/2017 at 1:41 PM, Marshall Tandy said:

My wife(Mexican citizen) and I will be moving to Culiacan, Sinaloa in January 2018. We plan to stay there for 4-6 months and then relocate to either SMA or Cuernavaca. We are leaning towards SMA but this post is causing me to have 2nd thoughts- I don't want to be end up somewhere without medical coverage. From your 3/7/17 posting, it sounds like the issue has been favorably resolved, is that accurate?

Aside from SP, what other medical coverage options are there for a TR  in SMA or Cuernavaca? I'm 71 years old and have no significant health issues other than high blood pressure that is completely controlled by my meds(Lisinopril.) Are there IMSS Drs and hospital(s) in SMA?  

On my web site is a page re Seguro Popular: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/health-care.html

All the computer issues for expats are resolved.

If questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Archived