Chapala.com Webboard

Ikea garden sphere

CHILLIN

Very pretty. Good luck maintaining it.  The only wood I would trust outside here is cumaru, a teak-like wood.  A very hard wood, most carpinterias here won`t cut it, dulls the blades really fast.

I was driving by the Chapala madera store - then I was reminded they sell corrugated polycarbonate panels. I bought some for a countertop (for dough, etc). It is very strong and UV stable. It comes in large sheets, and is just down the street from the CNC cutter. I will see what a sheet costs. Comes in many colours.

33 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I was driving by the Chapala madera store - then I was reminded they sell corrugated polycarbonate panels. I bought some for a countertop (for dough, etc). It is very strong and UV stable. It comes in large sheets, and is just down the street from the CNC cutter. I will see what a sheet costs. Comes in many colours.

How will you construct it?  If gluing, what kind of glue will you use?

They say you need 17 sheets of plywood and two rubber hammers - - ha ha Ikea - fell for that one before - "some assembly required". The one on the architects site seems to use metal bands and rivets to hold it together. Another problem I can see is that if it is in a public areas, the kids will see it as some sort of climbing game. Maybe the support struts in plate steel, and the planter in custom shaped terracotta?

Will order the plans, and go from there. In the meantime, up here in the hills, it is ice cube tinkle time and the whir of blenders. Have a good, safe night all.

Archived