Chapala.com Webboard

How to get 20 boxes of hobby items from USA?

kimanjome

Hello, all. New to these boards and we are in need of assistance. Two questions:

1. Will there be a problem with customs (assuming we are PR and have the menaje de casa) in moving our 20 boxes of hobby items from the USA to Mexico? These include yarn (which is obviously new, because it isn't yet knitted into anything), knitting needles, crochet and sewing supplies, weaving tools like shuttles and hooks, 3 small and different types of old looms each about the size of a breadbox, a spinning wheel, a 1980s table loom, quilting squares of exotic fabric, books about the above-mentioned hobbies, colored pencils, etc etc. accompanied by more mundane items like super soft bed linens, the usual hand tools, and possibly our favorite cheese grater.  

2. Is there an option for LTL (less than truckload) moving of items?  I am getting really expensive quotes for entire households of items when in fact we really just want to bring our hobby supplies. I looked on the UPS site and it appears that I can ship a 4x4x4 pallet of boxes weighing 500 pounds for 750 usd, but I wonder if that is covered by the menaje? 

I would consider buying new weaving equipment in Guadalajara (if there is a dealer who imports looms) or purchasing new through, say, Amazon, and having shipped to Mexico, but after paying aduana the price becomes prohibitive. So I would prefer to stick with my old, familiar things.

Thanks for any advice.

You are allowed 6 months to bring in items with no IVA from time first visa is issued. I have had several people contact me, two in past month who have had several boxes sitting in Customs. One was for almost a year an one was for 8 months. There are no assurances you will get these items,

13 hours ago, kimanjome said:

2. Is there an option for LTL (less than truckload) moving of items?  I am getting really expensive quotes for entire households of items when in fact we really just want to bring our hobby supplies. I looked on the UPS site and it appears that I can ship a 4x4x4 pallet of boxes weighing 500 pounds for 750 usd, but I wonder if that is covered by the menaje? 

The above quote is the most interesting facet (to me at least) of kimanjome's question.  Is anyone able to shed any light on using this method of bringing one's personal items to one's new home in Mexico?

5 hours ago, Sonia said:

You are allowed 6 months to bring in items with no IVA from time first visa is issued. I have had several people contact me, two in past month who have had several boxes sitting in Customs. One was for almost a year an one was for 8 months. There are no assurances you will get these items,

Sonia: if I get my PR visa and the subsequent menaje,  do the items have to be brought in as a single shipment, meaning, I can bring in only one carload of items on, for example, May 15?  Or can I make multiple cross-border trips, using my car, on dates May 15, May 20, May 25, and May 30, with the same menaje, because not all goods will fit in the car at the same time?

Still the OP writing, but a different way of looking at things: my total goods aren't even worth $3,000, the amount requiring a customs agent.  It's not that the goods are valuable, it's that they will take a long time to acquire, bits and pieces types of items that one wants to have on hand. Embroidery floss in 300 different colors, for example.  So now I am thinking it may be wiser to ship everything via the cheapest way possible, such as a pallet through Lake Chapala Moving or UPS in single boxes, and just pay the 16% IVA, forget about the menaje, as we are not bringing a household worth of goods.

Any feedback on this?  

Kimanjome, basically, there are no looms, weaving supplies or spinning wheels available in Mexico of the type you are used to. You could have a 2 shaft, possibly 4-shaft (but they`re not used here) loom made in Oaxaca. The only spinning wheels available here are the old ruecas.

3 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Kimanjome, basically, there are no looms, weaving supplies or spinning wheels available in Mexico of the type you are used to. You could have a 2 shaft, possibly 4-shaft (but they`re not used here) loom made in Oaxaca. The only spinning wheels available here are the old ruecas.

Thanks, BD.  Makes my decision to move the 4 shaft, 2 shaft, rigid heddle looms and spinning wheel easier.  I do backstrap weaving, which is certainly portable, but sometimes I want to sit at a real loom.  So the extra cost of moving the equipment is worth it, come what may.

Yes, I think it`s wise to bring whatever you have, fiber arts-wise, including fibers and yarns.  We treasure our fiber arts implements as if they were gold here.  And there are no natural fibers or yarns available here besides some cotton and some wool weaving yarn available from Oaxaca.  I am still grieving for leaving behind some of my fibers and yarns.  They can be purchased from the States, of course, but the shipping is a large financial factor and anything like that takes a month or two to arrive. 

Welcome, kimanjome!  Our community is small, under 6, but we will be glad to welcome you with open arms!  Do let us know when you arrive.

I would bring your items in a vehicle you or a friend drives and avoid any form of shipping. The likelihood of paying tax is almost nil as person items and not of great value financially. 

The cases I refer to were with a moving company and also FEDEX. To date neither shipment has been released. 

• 4 weeks later...

I brought in a trailer full of hobby items. Including lots of woodworking and metal working machines. Along with 2 sewing machines and a kiln. I made a list of all the items with values etc. The aduanas agent went through the list with me and there was no cost.

I do think there is a limit of 10 yards (or meters?) on fabric.

Archived