Chapala.com Webboard

Internet speed

Reiki

I'm renting a house in west Ajijic that uses Telmex for wireless internet and I'm receiving 6/0.6. It's OK for Netflix and surfing, and just OK for Skype, but it's not fast enough for the video conferencing I do via Webex. Because of this I signed up for a three-month package with ATT for 3,000MXN. It gives me 13gigs of data per month for three months and I'm averaging 25-40 download and 5-12 upload and I have no problems at all.

Hope this helps

On 2/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, dboisclair said:

I'm renting a house in west Ajijic that uses Telmex for wireless internet and I'm receiving 6/0.6. It's OK for Netflix and surfing, and just OK for Skype, but it's not fast enough for the video conferencing I do via Webex. Because of this I signed up for a three-month package with ATT for 3,000MXN. It gives me 13gigs of data per month for three months and I'm averaging 25-40 download and 5-12 upload and I have no problems at all.

Hope this helps

Could you say a bit more about the AT&T package - is this wireless service through a phone (and you can tether other devices to that)?  That level of speed is amazing!  3,000MXN is the total price (so 1,000 / month - roughly US$50 / month or $4 / GB?).  Did you obtain this locally in Ajijic?  If so, presumably an unlocked iPhone would work and they could just put in a new SIM?

OK, here goes.....

Last year in Colima we had the same problem and I went into the local Iusacell office because that's who popped up on my phone as the roaming provider. At Iusacell I purchased a HUAWEI E5573s-508 Mobile Wifi hotspot for approx $200CAD. It's approximately the size of a small deck of cards except much thinner. 

This year I went into the ATT office at the mall by the theatre because ATT now owns Iusacell and I figured the hotspot would be compatible. The gizmo is now a year old and there are any number of units available online but mine still works great.

At ATT they installed a new SIM card in return for me buying a three-month package. The total cost was $3,000MXN and it gives me 13 gigs of data per month for three months, but no roll over - and I can buy more if I need it. 

So far I'm averaging at 20-40 mbps download and 5-12 mgps upload (12 is the high end - it's usually closer to 5-6) and a 90-120 min video conference using webex uses approx  1 gig of data

I hope this all helps

Cheers 

Thanks for the detailed information - planning to spend ~5 months Lakeside later this year and a fast, reliable internet connection is essential to be able to work remotely.  If the download/upload speed at our yet-to-be-obtained rental property isn't sufficient, this sounds like a great backup plan.

We depend on internet.  We have both Telecable cable modem at 5 down and 2 up with basic analog cable TV and Internet bundle at 590P and Telmex DSL  with 10 down and .5 up at 399P for phone and internet bundle.  So we use telmex  for browsing and computer use and put the VOIP phone and internet music ( two sessions going on) on the Telecable cable modem to increase the bandwidth on Telmex.  When doing big uploads to US I switch to Telecable 2 upload speed which is four times faster than the Telmex .5 upload speed.  Telmex is much more reliable than Telecable as a rule but not all the time.  Its not as expensive as one thinks as we supply internet to our Casita resident who uses the basic cable also.  The point I make is we like having two services for the three of us. Figure 20P per USD for dollar costs. Djjohnson77 it depends on where you are on your service. The farther from switch or repeater slows down Telmex DSL and since the cable modem bandwidth is shared in the hood it can go up and down as the load goes up or down.  This is why all things being equal I prefer Telmex DSL over  Telecable Cable modem. Exception is of course the upload speed is higher for Telecable.  We do fine here for the most part but its not like home laugh out loud where I have 175 down and 20 going up in Seattle area at my families house.   Talk is more bandwidth is coming for DSL.  Telecable has been bought by another company and frankly right now service is pretty bad with 5 down  being the max for new customers.  Third option is 4G type stuff with hot spot or phone but lets face it this is expensive in my opinion.  I suggest you bring down a high power access point (800mw compared to 50mw from normal WiFi) with SMA type antenna and bring down fancier antenna which help also. I have corner reflecting antenna that concentrate the 360 degree signal and puts it out to 90 degrees and actually works thru walls.  

Civilization internet wise is coming in the next few years.  I saw an ad for Telmex DSL showing Internet 100 down at 999P.  I have very little faith in our new owners of the local cable company as they seem to be piss poor putting it bluntly.  I am putting the future here in Telmex.  Sad because the cable company put a big fat coax cable all thru lakeside but it has not done anything for me.  My location is in Las Salvias in upper Ajijic. Sometimes here we share with a neighbor so when one goes down the neighbors service can be used.  I do suggest working here requires a backup compared to up north or NOB (north of border) as we say. Backup can be cable modem, neighbors modem, or 4G with a hotspot.  If you work with your neighbors you can have WiFi everywhere  and have backups. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, dboisclair said:

OK, here goes.....

Last year in Colima we had the same problem and I went into the local Iusacell office because that's who popped up on my phone as the roaming provider. At Iusacell I purchased a HUAWEI E5573s-508 Mobile Wifi hotspot for approx $200CAD. It's approximately the size of a small deck of cards except much thinner. 

This year I went into the ATT office at the mall by the theatre because ATT now owns Iusacell and I figured the hotspot would be compatible. The gizmo is now a year old and there are any number of units available online but mine still works great.

At ATT they installed a new SIM card in return for me buying a three-month package. The total cost was $3,000MXN and it gives me 13 gigs of data per month for three months, but no roll over - and I can buy more if I need it. 

So far I'm averaging at 20-40 mbps download and 5-12 mgps upload (12 is the high end - it's usually closer to 5-6) and a 90-120 min video conference using webex uses approx  1 gig of data

I hope this all helps

Cheers 

Great info! Thank you. I was thinking about purchasing a Huawei hotspot device and was wondering how it works compared to using your phone as a hotspot. I have no idea if that price is expensive or not, but those speeds sound great to me and I need it for business also as a backup when the internet is down or too slow. I am researching online constantly so if it slows down too much my productivity is greatly affected. 

On 3/4/2017 at 0:41 PM, lcscats said:

I suggest you bring down a high power access point (800mw compared to 50mw from normal WiFi) with SMA type antenna and bring down fancier antenna which help also. I have corner reflecting antenna that concentrate the 360 degree signal and puts it out to 90 degrees and actually works thru walls.  

Thank you for that detailed information!! So helpful for me. I also will be in Ajijic. Planned to get Telecable but need the backup. Thought about the hotspot device (Huawei). Can you explain a bit more of what you mention above in my quote for me since I am not a technical expert? I can google this stuff, but can you suggest a particular brand of whatever?  Are you describing just an antenna with all of that? 

Archived