Chapala.com Webboard

Pedestrian accident

We witnessed a motorcycle accident today and the rider was sent flying to the cobblestones.  Ambulances and the police arrived after some very caring people attended the injured young man.  I won't make any specific observations of this particular accident but I must say that those who ride those things make some very frightening decisions in order to "beat the clock".  I am not sure that many of these riders know the rules of the road in order to not have some unsuspecting driver ram into them as they appear from what seems like "nowhere".  Many certainly do not follow the rules of the road and this is terrible for those who do and are not expecting someone to be where they are not supposed to be.  

There must be a way for two wheeled riders to be compelled to take some lessons and to know they will be facing serious fines for not adhering to the rules of the road.  Most often it is the rider who pays the price in these collisions, but those who are part of these accidents all suffer one way or another, and innocent pedestrians are harmed.

I hope today's young man is able to recover, his motorcycle will not. And those who inadvertently ran into him have that memory to run around in their heads.  Fortunately the two young boys and their mom nearby had not yet entered their path.  Scary stuff.

Totally agree with you GeckoGretchen. Both motorcycle and bicycle riders who pass on the right are about the scariest. I cannot count the number of times I have been ready to make a right hand turn (with my signal on) and it seems that out of nowhere there is a rider on my right.  I consider myself lucky that I haven't hit anyone. That is the first situation I explain to any new drivers here. It's the scariest part of driving here for me.

35 minutes ago, GeckoGretchen said:

We witnessed a motorcycle accident today and the rider was sent flying to the cobblestones.  Ambulances and the police arrived after some very caring people attended the injured young man.  I won't make any specific observations of this particular accident but I must say that those who ride those things make some very frightening decisions in order to "beat the clock".  I am not sure that many of these riders know the rules of the road in order to not have some unsuspecting driver ram into them as they appear from what seems like "nowhere".  Many certainly do not follow the rules of the road and this is terrible for those who do and are not expecting someone to be where they are not supposed to be.  

There must be a way for two wheeled riders to be compelled to take some lessons and to know they will be facing serious fines for not adhering to the rules of the road.  Most often it is the rider who pays the price in these collisions, but those who are part of these accidents all suffer one way or another, and innocent pedestrians are harmed.

I hope today's young man is able to recover, his motorcycle will not. And those who inadvertently ran into him have that memory to run around in their heads.  Fortunately the two young boys and their mom nearby had not yet entered their path.  Scary stuff.

This is what you posted on Feb. 17th.  Same accident details, different day???

• GeckoGretchen

•  
    • GeckoGretchen
    • Members
    • 166 posts

Also, sadly, while returning home from LLT around 10:30 pm on Thursday night, I saw lots of flashing lights in La Floresta.  As I passed, I could see a foot sticking out from under a white sheet and the shape of a body.  So very sad.  I asked my limpiadora and friend, Gabriella, if she knew anything about this incident.  She told me all that she knew was that a young Mexican was walking on the bike/pedestrian path and a van (I think) ran over him.  It was a hit and run.  So very sorry and sad for the family of this young man.

Be careful out there!

Valerie :(

I've seen something similar and it makes my heart stop since I also do the scooter/bicycle thing here. One thing that should be noted:  being a foreigner behind the wheel doesn't give you a magical pass. I've had more expat seasoned citizens make a right hand turn INTO THE BICYCLE LANE and damn near wipe me or another bicyclist out than you could believe. You have to check your mirror (and do a lot of praying!), regardless of whether you're behind the wheel or the handlebars.

I think every time I go shopping I see motorcyclists doing foolish illegal things (3 times today). I'm amazed that they don't have more accidents.

I did not post those posts, I have been offline for a few days..... ???? Not sure what went on, just came back today to check the forum... I do have something to add... that Accident across from Pranzo's was a friend of ours, a very lovely man who lived up in Upper La Floresta, in his 80's.  The vehicle that hit him was going through a red light, he was crossing the road on a green light.  He was a high school teacher and adored Mexico.  He had just left the Plaza where we were all having coffee.. there is a very nice little "shrine" in his honour just west of the lights on the high side.  And yes it was a hit and run.  PLease be so very careful when crossing the Careterra.... green does not always mean it is safe.. you truly need eyes in the back of your head.  His loss is immense.

Archived