Chapala.com Webboard

Help for spouse after husband's death.My wife

monadog

My wife has dementia and therefore will not be able to take care of herself after my death. I will need a person, persons or a business that after given power of attorney to pay for home nursing care, medical bills, rent, general living expenses etc. It is a little scary to turn over all financial information and access to someone that may turn out not to be a honest person.

Any thoughts on how to handle this future problem?   

40 minutes ago, Me Linda said:

I am sorry your wife is ill and my heart goes out to you , the first person to speak to would be a estate attorney as to your options for a trust or other option for you and your wife's specific needs. ?

Exactly who do you recommend here in the Chapala area?

32 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Exactly who do you recommend here in the Chapala area?

I am coming down in May to live permanently, all the recommendations I have seen and the attorney I am using is spencer , but he may only do immigration law. I'm sure he would help you find the right attorney in Chapala/ Mexico to meet your needs.

Is there anyone where you come from that you can trust? If not a trust. I am sorry for your situation. I have seen this a lot. If you are a U. S. citizen the consulate will send S. S. to a bank with the name of the owner of the nursing with your wife as 100% beneficiary. I am doing this for two residents in my facility. I also agree with Me Linda

I think you need to talk to a Notario not a lawyer. I have used Notario 2 in Chula Vista for post life planning and found him very helpful. He can tell you what steps you need to take and he will make sure that the final draft of your needs is properly registered.

20 hours ago, monadog said:

My wife has dementia and therefore will not be able to take care of herself after my death. I will need a person, persons or a business that after given power of attorney to pay for home nursing care, medical bills, rent, general living expenses etc. It is a little scary to turn over all financial information and access to someone that may turn out not to be a honest person.

I have sent you a message

20 hours ago, monadog said:

Monadog I think you need to meet with some of the people suggested such as Spencer.   To that list I would add Andrea Canon-Preciado who is located in the S&S Auto complex in Riberas.   Consider one person to administer your wishes but with the contacts to implement - based on the assumption no one attorney is a expert on all things.    I have heard negative allegations against some involved in helping you when most vulnerable.   This is just what I'd do, have done, given my experience which is limited to only a dozen years here.

Archived