Chapala.com Webboard

Wheelchair accommodations

Lost Dog

I have been to Chapala/Ajijic several months ago looking around and familiarizing myself with the area. The next trip down from California I need to bring my wife who is in a wheelchair. Does anyone have first hand experience with local hotels, B&Bs, short term rentals, etc. that would be good for a short visit (5 or 6 days) that are wheelchair usable? This means wheelchair accessible bathroom/toilet, no stairways, etc. I want to make her first visit as comfortable as possible so she can get a positive view of where we might live. Thanks.

The location and services of Villa San Francisco, Chapala, would be perfect, but I do not know how handicapped accessible it is.  Google them and you can have a live chat online to ask questions, etc.  They have airport shuttle, local tours, etc. The place is beautiful.

My Mom needed a wheelchair, and I found the most areas here are not very wheelchair friendly.  As far as I know, there really is no Disability Act or codes here.  Having said that, I do agree with RVGringo, Chapala is probably more accessible than Ajijic.  The sidewalks are wide, and flat.  Many places have added ramps, but I found that many of the ramps inclines are way steep, and not easy to use.  

I was very happy to find that no matter where I took her, the local people were incredibly kind, lifting her in the wheelchair, up stairs and curbs.  Right after she got here, we went to the Chapala Malecon. I tried wheeling her up the ramp at the fountain, and had to stop halfway, couldn't go up or back down.  A young man on a bicycle stopped, threw his bike down, came running to help me.  In the US, I was lucky if someone held the door open for us.  

Its definitely a challenge...I hope she loves it here!  

I spent a week last Oct/Sept. in Ajijic. I stayed at the Casa Blanca Hotel across the street from LCS. Very nice place and people but not realistic for wheelchairs. I walked just about every street in the village on the Lake side of the main road as far west as the Waffle House and through La Floresta going East. Definitely not wheelchair country or for the wobbly aged like myself. The parking garage behind the shopping mall next to Torito's and Salvador's has ramps but they're fairly steep. The side walk to Torito's is possible but I think there were a few step offs. The Wednesday market on Revolution St. has good flat pavers so if one can get to it someway the market is doable although there is a slight grade. There were curb cut outs and paved paths across the cobble stone streets around the Ajijic plaza that were better. The ramp to get up on the pier/Malecon in Ajijic is strictly a hazard because it is too steep and comes down to the cobble stone street anyway so pretty useless. I walked the Ajijic Malecon from end to end several times and didn't find another entrance but near the exercise area and skateboard jumps there may be usable way to get on from the street. Not sure. The Malecon itself is beautiful once on it in wheelchair and very pleasant to use. In Chapala I walked the main street on both sides from the lake up to the end of retail district and there are usable curb cut-outs occasionally but crossing the cobblestone street itself is tough. The main square in Chapala at the large taxi stand with the markets is doable and fun. The ramp at the Chapala Malecon is like the one in Ajijic but there are other places to, with help, get up onto it. Once on that Malecon it easy going for the length and a good place for wheelchairs. The newer development surrounding Black Coffee and across the road at Walmart is fine. The option of a occasional day trip to Guadalajara is a good way to get free so to speak, and do some exploring. I looked at Villa San Francisco online and sent an email but haven't heard back. I have learned from 30 years doing this that getting my eyeballs on exactly what is available is the best way to go. So maybe another short trip by myself to kind of set things up ahead of her visit is possible. Mexico is not the US and I don't expect to see the kind of ADA stuff at all. We were just in Puerto Vallarta checking area out there and the Mexican people, just like in Ajijic/Chapala were wonderful. Nothing like the US. This is kind of a tangential post to my original questions but think it could be helpful to others searching this forum.

If you are wheel chair dependent I think Chapala would be the best place to stay due to it being flatter with much wider and smoother sidewalks.  I know at least two expats I see frequently in Chapala that seem to get around by themselves pretty good in their wheelchair.  One takes daily trips to the malecon.  I also recommend San Francisco due to its location with good sidewalks, but I don't know how wheel chair friendly it is.

Archived