Chapala.com Webboard

INAPAM

Oregold

I went thru that a few years ago. I never did determine if there really was a shortage, a hatred of foreigners, or what. Then I chanced to see a sign in Zapopan and went in and 10 minutes later had my card. It was easy. So, I suggest you go anywhere out of the Lakeside area. 

BTW, I don't like to carry original cards in my wallet and seldom have the INAPAM with me, which has never been a problem. I just ask for the elder discount and I get it. A few times I've been asked for another ID with my birthday and that was no prob. In short, most times if you just act pleasantly you don't even need the INAPAM card.

About 300 got them at LCS last Nov. Officials from the agency came to process the group. My thoughts are :

They work for bus tickets if space available kinda like frequent flier miles (not always available) I have not found any other uses. In Jalisco discounts are few. Maybe good for ID because it is federal agency?

18 minutes ago, SunshineyDay said:

About 300 got them at LCS last Nov. Officials from the agency came to process the group. My thoughts are :

They work for bus tickets if space available kinda like frequent flier miles (not always available) I have not found any other uses. In Jalisco discounts are few. Maybe good for ID because it is federal agency?

No, not useful as ID. BUT..... 5% off drugs at Walmart (?others?).  Up to 20% (in my experience) at different labs and other medical facilities (MRI, CAT scan, etc) here and in city. Might also apply to TAR airline --- I forget!

There are more things in the booklet, but these and the bus fares are probably the best.

13 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

The INAPAM card gets you a 50% discount on Predial and 50% on Water bill in Jalisco. The administration has refused to follow the law sne I have been unable to get my discount. I know in the USA and Canada it would be a big deal and illegal to disallow any benefit to property owners because the fact that they were foreigner.  Do you think you can charge foreign property owners more property tax in Vancouver? You can't do this in Jalisco either. Six years ago a Canadian filed a complaint with Human Rights Commission in Zapopan and they put a fast stop to Zapopan's discrimination. It was well covered in the Guadalajara Reporter at the time. They have violated thet law in Chapala for at least 20 years with impunity. 

Here is the PDF of the discounts by law by state.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:41 AM, Oregold said:

I've been trying to apply for an INAPAM card for the last several months but always told that they do not have cards, "maybe next month" in Chapala.  Is there anywhere else one can go? 

INAPAM has its main Jalisco offices in the basement at Av. Alcalde 500 (at the corner of Calle Hospital), Centro Histórico, Guadalajara.   Calle 16 de Septiembre, which runs in front of the Cathedral, becomes Av. Alcalde just north of the Cathedral.  The entrance to the INAPAM offices is on Calle Hospital.  There is public parking on Calle Hospital.

You will receive your INAPAM card within just a few minutes, the same day you go.  

Geezer said "The INAPAM card gets you a 50% discount on Predial and 50% on Water bill in Jalisco. The administration has refused to follow the law sne I have been unable to get my discount. I know in the USA and Canada it would be a big deal and illegal to disallow"

Not so --  It, the discount, applies only to citizens, naturualized or by birth.   Some may interpret it otherwise, c'est la vie.  There is another card available to citizens to get the property tax discount, I forget what it's called but who cares.

53 minutes ago, El Cartero said:

Geezer said "The INAPAM card gets you a 50% discount on Predial and 50% on Water bill in Jalisco. The administration has refused to follow the law sne I have been unable to get my discount. I know in the USA and Canada it would be a big deal and illegal to disallow"

El Cartero said: "Not so --  It, the discount, applies only to citizens, naturualized or by birth.   Some may interpret it otherwise, c'est la vie.  There is another card available to citizens to get the property tax discount, I forget what it's called but who cares."

Could you please quote the source for this? I thought it was illegal to discriminate against legal residents. Can Spencer comment?

4 hours ago, geeser said:

The INAPAM card gets you a 50% discount on Predial and 50% on Water bill in Jalisco. The administration has refused to follow the law sne I have been unable to get my discount. I know in the USA and Canada it would be a big deal and illegal to disallow any benefit to property owners because the fact that they were foreigner.  Do you think you can charge foreign property owners more property tax in Vancouver? You can't do this in Jalisco either. Six years ago a Canadian filed a complaint with Human Rights Commission in Zapopan and they put a fast stop to Zapopan's discrimination. It was well covered in the Guadalajara Reporter at the time. They have violated thet law in Chapala for at least 20 years with impunity. 

Here is the PDF of the discounts by law by state.

In order for this to be complete we would need to see the specific law which includes ALL INAPAM holders, not just citizens.

in 2011 when I was doing a story for my then active Tech Talk Column in The Guadalajara Reporter I went to the Chapala office of Simapa. And what I was told was that yes, senior citizens received a 50% discount on their water bill only on their first 15 cubic meters consumed per month. And no discount thereafter.

Things could have changed or maybe I don't remember the numbers correctly, But I remember very well that this 50% discount was not given after a small amount used each month.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

In order for this to be complete we would need to see the specific law which includes ALL INAPAM holders, not just citizens.

The INAPAM (Instituto Nacional para las Personas Adultas Mayores) discount card. This is offered to all Mexicans and foreign residents who are 60 years of age or older and enables them to enjoy worthwhile discounts on a whole range of goods and services including food, medicines, transport, clothing, as well as recreation and leisure activities.

Click Site here

6 hours ago, geeser said:

The INAPAM (Instituto Nacional para las Personas Adultas Mayores) discount card. This is offered to all Mexicans and foreign residents who are 60 years of age or older and enables them to enjoy worthwhile discounts on a whole range of goods and services including food, medicines, transport, clothing, as well as recreation and leisure activities.

Click Site here

The website you posted is NOT the INAPAM website; it's a website called Mexperience, which may or may not have correct information.

In fact, here's what Mexperience says about discounts on the predial and water bills: please note that the website says "some municipalities" and suggests that one check where one lives.  

Discount on Property Taxes and Water Bills: Some municipalities are offering seniors a discount on their annual property taxes (Predial) and their water bills.  Discounts, where offered, vary by municipality—check locally for details in your area.

Here's a link to the actual INAPAM website, specifically the part regarding benefits:
http://www.gob.mx/inapam/acciones-y-programas/beneficios-test?idiom=es

No cards in Guanajuato state for the past month as well. Each card has a specific number so not possible to simply copy a bunch.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/--inapam.html

In many places if you pre-pay water for the year or pay taxes in first couple of months you get a discount. You do not get both an INAPAM discount and early payment discount nor should one expect it when taxes etc are so low. Also, these discounts for water and taxes at least in some places do not apply to Temporary Residents. 

Archived