Chapala.com Webboard

Telephone Scammer Strikes Again

This has been a very busy week for the phone scammer. He calls, pretends to be someone you know, says he's in trouble and needs your help, so please send money from OXXO to a bank account to get him out of his difficulty.  One neighbor told me she send 4000p to help out her gringo neighbor and later found out her friend had sent 12000p to her supposed favorite taxista, so this person is an adept actor at playing both gringo and mexican. our call came yesterday, claiming to our waiter that my husband needed 3000p to get himself home safely,sent from OXXO. Luckily, I was home with my husband when the waiter called to confirm. The Scammer was irate with him when he called back and found himself being played with...these are the numbers the Scammer gave for transfer of funds, so beware...also, wonder how this person is able to know the names of trusted people to use in the scam.

Banamex 4766840627753291

Cel: 331-754-8801

It's hard to remember when these guys start out a call, but anything along the lines of "You know who this is", should send up an immediate alert. A lot of what they do is contingent on getting that name or guess out of you.

I played the last one along a while. He claimed to be my neighbor at Costco... haha and finally he started guessing what his name was... "John?" Amateur. :)

got the same call last weekend. Lead them along for a while and they gave up. Knew they weren't getting any money from us. But agree BEWARE!

Thank you for posting this. Hubby got hit a few months back and you'd be amazed at how much more sophisticated these guys have gotten. When you read it, you think, "Oh, I'm too  smart to fall for that," but you'd be wrong. All it takes is one small slip on your part and they've got you. For hubby, it was a coincidence with a potential upcoming visit and someone with a rather unusual accent that was close to his son's. It CAN happen to you, so if you fall for it, don't beat yourself up, but learn from it. If you're one that strings the scammer along, GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'm sure there's a special hell for this vultures.

On 2/24/2017 at 8:18 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

This has been a very busy week for the phone scammer. He calls, pretends to be someone you know, says he's in trouble and needs your help, so please send money from OXXO to a bank account to get him out of his difficulty.  One neighbor told me she send 4000p to help out her gringo neighbor and later found out her friend had sent 12000p to her supposed favorite taxista, so this person is an adept actor at playing both gringo and mexican. our call came yesterday, claiming to our waiter that my husband needed 3000p to get himself home safely,sent from OXXO. Luckily, I was home with my husband when the waiter called to confirm. The Scammer was irate with him when he called back and found himself being played with...these are the numbers the Scammer gave for transfer of funds, so beware...also, wonder how this person is able to know the names of trusted people to use in the scam.

Banamex 4766840627753291

Cel: 331-754-8801

Ay ay ay!  I got a call from that same number yesterday!  A man with a strange pervy sort of voice called, he did not identify himself, I said, hello? hello?  He said  "I thought you would recognize my voice"  I said NO I don't recognize your voice, who is this???  His voice sounded like an old gringo maybe a little senile and not knowing what he was doing.  He said "This is Michael"  I said  I DON'T KNOW ANY MICHAEL!  He said "I'm with Bob"  I said  I DON'T KNOW ANY BOB!  (caps to indicate loud firm voice)  I said I DON'T KNOW ANY MICHAEL OR BOB, GOODBYE!!  I really thought he was a pervert, I never let him get to the scam part.

Rule of thumb:  NEVER EVER send money to anyone who contacts you by phone.  Maybe we should all call that number and bug him for a while and give him a taste of his own medicine!

A phone scam is one thing; threatening to blow up your restaurant or house is another. Time to involve the authorities, IMO. When I received the scam call, I did report the scam to some office in Mexico City where this sort of thing is monitored--they did not seem very interested, but hey, I did my duty. But regarding a threat to your restaurant or house, I think it is time to get police involved, Maybe Spencer can suggest how to approach this. My personal thought would be to hire an armed guard for a short period, but I have no idea where to find one who is approved to carry a gun. Maybe an off-duty policeman?

Told them that both my house and the restaurant were monitored and have cameras. which is true. We also live in Villa Nova which has cameras recording 24 hrs. 7 days a week which I am sure they know...... which barrios are the ones that have security and those that don't.

They spoke perfect English, don't believe they are Mexicans, and for the amounts of money they are trying to scam, extort, they just keep doing it until they get a person with a  big heart to fall for their con game.

We will keep a closer watch on both places and have alerted our neighbors at both locations of what took place.

Hope and pray that somehow someway they are caught.

3 hours ago, La Mision said:

They called me too. I wrote down their info exactly the same. Now they are threatening to blow up my house and the restaurant. Told me they know where I live, have my address. I told them Phone Books are amazing!

The threat to blow up our house and the restaurant came about because I told them what I thought of them and their scam and they responded with " it was going to cost ma a lot more the $8000. as they knew where I lived and would blow up my house and the restaurant" then asked if I wanted them to tell me what my address was? That's when I told him phone books are amazing, then he cursed me and hung up.

Or, you could play along with this creep...

"oh, yes, I'd just love to give you that money but I don't know how to do a wire transfer and it's saturday, can't get a hold of the bank... I could give you the cash if you'll meet me at the local PD near my bank because I'm afraid to carry that much cash around with me...and please tell me your name and where you live, I'm sorry I just cant remember who you are...  :lol:

Archived