Chapala.com Webboard

More poisonings

This from FaceBook:

ALERT MORE POISONINGS! I just spoke to a friend who lives on Tempisque (mountain side) FOUR dogs were poisoned and died today in that neighborhood. These were NOT street dogs, but people's pets! Be alert and very careful with your furbabies - the monster(s) who are doing this MUST be caught!

Did they get poison in their yard or picked up something while walking? Either way it is awful but it gives us an idea of what is going on.

What time of the day or night was the poison taken.

Was there any stranger seen in that neighborhood.. The problem is that with the walls people do not see what is going on on the streets and those streets are pretty deserted so it would be easy for someone to drive in or walk around threwing poison without anyone noticing it.

Mass poisonings of dogs seem to be a fairly common occurrence in Mexico and other countries. I looked up dog poisonings in Mexico and found two articles about mass poisonings in Hermosillo and Mexico City. In Peru, packets of poison specifically meant to kill cats and dogs are sold as " mouthfuls". Cant wrap my head around it, but this doesn't seem to be just eradicating the street dog population, but dogs in general. Not sure what the reasoning would be. The ability to obtain poisons easily make it harder to find the culprits. Lots of theories. lots of assumptions, no convictions.  

And it isn't just a regional thing and it has been going on for quite a long time. Not just a Mexico thing.

There really isn't much in the way of a profile for people who do this, they all have different reasons. One article I read was about a wealthy woman who had her chauffer drive her around her city so she could poison dogs. She did it for nine years before she got caught.  She was in New York. Peoples reasons range from they just don't like dogs, they just don't like the dog owner, they consider dogs to be dirty and bad for the community or they just like to kill animals. Hard to determine who is doing it and why. I would have assumed that men would be guilty more often, but women have an equal role in poisonings.

2 hours ago, zerbit said:

Mass poisonings of dogs seem to be a fairly common occurrence in Mexico and other countries. I looked up dog poisonings in Mexico and found two articles about mass poisonings in Hermosillo and Mexico City. In Peru, packets of poison specifically meant to kill cats and dogs are sold as " mouthfuls". Cant wrap my head around it, but this doesn't seem to be just eradicating the street dog population, but dogs in general. Not sure what the reasoning would be. The ability to obtain poisons easily make it harder to find the culprits. Lots of theories. lots of assumptions, no convictions.  

And it isn't just a regional thing and it has been going on for quite a long time. Not just a Mexico thing.

There really isn't much in the way of a profile for people who do this, they all have different reasons. One article I read was about a wealthy woman who had her chauffer drive her around her city so she could poison dogs. She did it for nine years before she got caught.  She was in New York. Peoples reasons range from they just don't like dogs, they just don't like the dog owner, they consider dogs to be dirty and bad for the community or they just like to kill animals. Hard to determine who is doing it and why. I would have assumed that men would be guilty more often, but women have an equal role in poisonings.

While what you've said is true, I guess you haven't been around HERE lately, with the rash of poisonings that have happened over the past several weeks. There is definitely a SICK person out there...... evidence mounting, but so far not caught. Last I heard reward for capture was up to $15,000 pesos, but it could be more by now.

11 minutes ago, Natasha said:

While what you've said is true, I guess you haven't been around HERE lately, with the rash of poisonings that have happened over the past several weeks. There is defiitely a SICK person out there...... evidence mounting, but so far not caught. Last I heard reward for capture was up to $15,000 pesos, but it could be more by now.

Fully aware of what is going on there. Two years ago, during the last bout of dog poisonings a man on our street about five doors up was a suspect. Local legend has it he departed in the middle of the night, never to be seen again, his home listed for sale in absentia. We snarkily refer to it as the dog killers house. Even if we have no proof.

My point is that dog poisoning is really common and that the killers are hard to find, come from varied backgrounds and have varied reasons for their actions. And it happens in all cultures.  Makes them really hard to find. Additionally, in my opinion, the fact that they do this secretively makes them cowards by nature and they are very aware of being discreet when they do this. Catching them on video or in the act, poison on person is about the only way you'll catch them. And they know that.

Archived